Search results

1. Y

Zhongyi Mitakon 20mm f/2.0 4.5X Super Macro Lens

The day I saw the news of this lens' availability on this site, I immediately ordered a copy of this macro lens. I've been chasing a decent snowflake photo for years, and I hadn't ever gotten one, and I hoped this lens would help me do it. Well, the stars finally aligned, and we had decent...
  2. Y

Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 SSC

I picked up this lens off of ebay the other week. I have an EdMika adapter coming for it soon, but so far I've been using it on my Sony A7II, and I've been having a blast with it! It's roughly a 40 year old lens, and has lots of purple & green fringing issues. But it's manageable and the the...
  3. Y

I screwed up - Gross 400mm f/5.6 lens

Ugh, I screwed up. I sold Canon 400mm f/5.6 lens via the Fred Miranda forums. Right before packaging up the lens, I found the original case stuffed under my desk. I pulled it out, popped in the lens and shipped it off. The big mistake was not looking all the way into the lens case. It turns out...
  4. Y

Cherry Point Air Show

Over the weekend I attended my first airshow at the Marine Corps air base in Cherry Point, NC. It was full of all sorts of drama... exhaustion the first night and sleeping the in the car, locking the keys in the car after arriving Saturday morning (along with all my camera gear), and just...
  5. Y

My first theatre poster

I've after shooting Bare Theatre's (Raleigh, NC) productions all last year, I've been made their official photographer (yay me!) Last week I shot my first theatre poster. This is just the photo portion, they'll add the play details and schedule in the empty middle portion. The play is "Love...
  6. Y

My first run in with copyright / trademark issues with architecture

So, I had an interesting experience this past week. I thought I'd share what I learned and see if there was more wisdom from the group at large. Obviously, I am not a lawyer and this does not constitute official legal advice. I was invited to a private girl's college to photograph a play by...
  7. Y

Super stacked teleconverters: Life @ 1880mm

So as I perusing the forums recently, I again came across a thread mentioning stacked teleconverters. I think I tried this once before, just for fun, but my lens collection has grown since then. Here's what I tried: Nikon 300mm f/4 Nikon 1.4x TC Canon 1.4x TC III Canon 2x TC III Canon 7D2 I...
  8. Y

Differently processed portraits - What do you think?

I've never been one that went for over-processed photos. I'm all for cleaning up an image to make it look better, but I've always preferred to stay true to the subject. That being said, as I was going through a recent batch of photos, I went a little overboard. These aren't techniques I would...
  9. Y

Getting started with sports photography

I have a small side photography business that I'm trying to make more real. One topic that interests me is sports photography. I made an offer to a local high school in North Carolina, where I'd made all my photos available to the school to use for any official use, and then let parents of the...
  10. Y

State Fairs

I went to the NC State Fair last night to get some photos of the rides and sights. I was able to go alone this year, the rest of the family would rather be going on the rides, rather than stand by the side and wait for one to start moving to get a neat picture. Silly people. All of the ride...
  11. Y

SMC Takumar Lenses

I'm shocked there isn't a place for these already! I hope to build up a fair collection of these eventually, but today I got my first, an SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5 lens with an M42 mount. I took immediately went to play in the yard and picked up these images. I used a 12mm macro extension tube...
  12. Y

My trip to Thailand

I just returned from visiting my sister in Thailand. I've had very little international travel experience, I haven't seen much of the world outside the US, so I was struck by many of the differences. This first batch of photos took place during a serious rain storm. I had gone to the Rama...
  13. Y

Issues with focus stacking

I've recently started exploring with focus stacking. I have a macro slider rail with metric measurements that allow me to precisely adjust the camera distance to the subject. Depending on the depth of field and the lense being used, I will usually take photos between 2mm and 5mm apart. I'll...
  14. Y

Quantum lenses beat diffraction limits

Ok, Mr "Year of the Lenses," how long do I really have to wait before I can get one of these bad boys on my camera? https://medium.com/p/5f473cf5a4bc
  15. Y

Finding a book publisher

So, I've found an angle for a series of books on national parks at night (ones far away from cities, with beautiful dark skies), where I'd go spend a few weeks onsite getting photos. I'm not a well know photographer with years of professional experience behind me, but I'm confident that within...
  16. Y

Arches National Park -- at night

I arrived in Moab last night. I noticed the clouds had blown away, so I went out for a little hike to Delicate Arch. Just my luck, the clouds came back, and didn't start clearing up until I was almost done with my hike. Afterwards, I went up to the arch viewpoint where I saw the stars. I...
  17. Y

Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZE Distagon

I just got this lens yesterday and took it out for a spin. These were my favorite shots so far: Utah Valley Car Lights by yorgasor, on Flickr Capitol Fountain by yorgasor, on Flickr
  18. Y

Just before sunrise

This morning I hiked up to the giant 'Y' on the side of the mountains in Provo, UT well before sunrise. As I sat there and waited for the sun to come up, there was a minute or two of the most amazing shade of blue in the sky. I shot this 3-frame panorama using a 30 yr old Nikon 24mm f/2 AIS...
  19. Y

My first panorama - Tetons What did I do wrong?

So, this was from a trip I took this summer, I'm finally getting around to doing the panorama stitching. I used Photoshop CS6's autostitch tool to combine all the photos. I put my camera on a tripod, taking vertical photos using a 70-200mm F/4 lens. The water line sags pretty bad in the...
  20. Y

Extreme Macro shots with stacked lenses

Last fall I came across some super amazing macro shots of snowflakes up close. I instantly fell in love with the concept and started working on learning how to do it myself. With a reverse stacked lens, your magnification is a divisor of the front lens and the reverse stacked lens. So, for...