Search results

1. mnclayshooter

Touch up on white lenses

Not knowing for certain, the "white" coating on the lenses looks like a baked-on powder-coat - maybe fluoropolymer but more likely an epoxy or polyester hybrid. From experience, touching that up will be very difficult to match color and texture/luster and may be very difficult to even get the...
  2. mnclayshooter

New case manufacturer - RTIC

RTIC ad popped up on my Facebook feed today. They are making dry cases similar to Pelican and claim to be half price. Avail for preorder according to the ad. Their other products are of equal if not higher quality than their competitors...
  3. mnclayshooter

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Photo Advice

I'm not 100% sure, but it was under construction last I checked (in other words, not open to public). Might be worth checking before heading out there. The trail was completely closed at the time I was there.
  4. mnclayshooter

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Photo Advice

Here's the deal: If you've never been there, it is massive. HUGE. The park is laid out in generally a figure 8 shape of roadways and each node is roughly 2 hours separated (once you factor in traffic jams etc). There's literally something to photograph at every stretch of the road...
  5. mnclayshooter

The List of Gear to be Announced in February, Including More Speedlite Information [CR3]

I'd actually wondered a while back (and now renewed) why there aren't more flashes with a "pilot" light. Macro flashes have them - just for usability - to give you an always-on or at least longer-duration focusing and targeting light for your subject. Could AI bounce be something like an...
  6. mnclayshooter

Samyang Officially Announces the AF 14mm f/2.8

To make sure I understand correctly - isn't 116.6 wider than 115.7?
  7. mnclayshooter

Kickstarter: The Universal Lens Cap by KUVRD

What is the vapor permanence rating of the product? To be more blunt: Wrapping your lens in something that effectively locks all liquid phase, solid phase and/or vapor phase water up against and inside the lens body CANNOT be a good idea, especially for those of us who live in cold climates...
  8. mnclayshooter

Kickstarter: The Universal Lens Cap by KUVRD

Dew point issues/Vapor Barrier Sandpaper Cold Weather flexibility That pretty well sums it up for me on this product.
  9. mnclayshooter

WWII Kodachrome Images

It is very cool to see them. Thanks for sharing. Interesting on the perceptual level for me; the vast majority of photos I've seen of WWII were monochromatic. There's a certain drama and overarching dire gloom to the old grainy B&W because of the lack of color that influences the mental...
  10. mnclayshooter

How young is everyone?

Oops, you're right, I inverted the two groups by percentage.
  11. mnclayshooter

How young is everyone?

At the time of this reply, the results were something like 32% and 44% in the middle two ranges of 38-74 yrs old respectively). That's 74 out of 96 (or the vast majority). Merging the two categories into one and the data showing the older group as the larger bias, you could weight them to...
  12. mnclayshooter

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

My wife is from North Dakota and we drive to her parents' house at least a couple times a year from Minnesota and I went to school up there for college as well. It's crazy how big those flocks can be! Literally hundreds of thousands, and even cited as 1-2 Million birds circling around one big...
  13. mnclayshooter

Canon Officially Discontinues Three Lenses

Be careful. Someone will come along here and tell you their old rebel could capture photos like these and that you shouldn't be able to do this without the flagship body in hand. Nice work.
  14. mnclayshooter

Using a flash vs. a reflector as a fill light?

+1 - the cost of a set of reflectors is often pretty small. I've seen them on amazon or from the big east coast internet sellers for less than $15 per set and they're of pretty good quality... at least good enough to play with it to see if you want something different. Flashes aren't as cheap...
  15. mnclayshooter

lens choice for Yosemite

Great to get follow-up from an OP's question! pretty rare on here, to be honest. Nice shot. Glad to hear you sorted it out and had success, despite all of our good-intention-ed input! 8)
  16. mnclayshooter

6D Mark II will not power up...

I'm going to ask a very pointed, very basic but very specific multi-part question: The battery(ies) - have you verified that they are: A) Canon branded and new batteries (not 3rd party in other words - batteries report to the body and will cause issues of compatibility with firmware updates...
  17. mnclayshooter

Canon MT-26EX-RT

Curious - not questioning value - but how would you anticipate using a RT on a macro light? Maybe to engage a remote fill light? I have been scratching my head a bit - I'm not a proficient speedlight/studio light user by any means.
  18. mnclayshooter

lens choice for Yosemite

True - I failed to recognize that the III takes 82mm. I have the f4 flavor of 16-35.
  19. mnclayshooter

lens choice for Yosemite

Agree with prior response - ability to have filters is important unless you can set up and wait for lighting to be "just right" for a naked lens approach. Given your timeline, I doubt that's the case. I hiked around Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park somewhat recently and had the...
  20. mnclayshooter

Histogram question regarding clipping

Think of a historgram as a stack of blocks, each block representing a pixel, or in the case of the very small histogram we can see on the camera, a representation of a subset of pixels. All of the blocks are arranged by the color value or luminosity of that set of pixels and they are sorted and...