Search results

1. I

Turkey, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic

I recently upgraded from the original 5D to the MKIII, wanting video capability, but having never done video before. Thought I'd share my first clips and ask for any advice on how to improve. I'd like to practice the technical aspects of capturing video correctly before I stray too far into the...
  2. I

L plates with an intervalometer

Thanks neuro! I've got an L shaped plug, so the plate should work just fine. But it's good to know that spacer exists.
  3. I

Ah! Just what I need. Cheers.
  4. I

I'm new to tripods/panoramas, all that good stuff. So forgive the basic question: when I'm using an L plate in order to shoot in the portrait position, how can I plug in a wired intervalometer? I'm essentially covering the spot where I would plug it in. The only option I immediately see is sort...
  5. I

Tripod for someone who's never used one?

Thought I'd post what I ended up getting, after considering all the fine advice: RRS BH-40, with lever release and panning clamp, an RSS L plate, and for the tripod legs I decided to go with carbon fiber, but compromised on the price, since I got the expensive ball head, and went with Manfrotto...
  6. I

Best lens for night time lapse

Thanks Axilrod! I'm headed to northern Montana, so city lights won't be an issue :)
  7. I

Excellent, thanks for the tips!
  8. I

So assuming I'm going to be doing night time lapse photography--not necessarily an hour long exposure to get star trails and whatnot, but taking 100s/1000s of shots in order to turn it into a video--what lens recommendations do all you fine folks have? I just upgraded to a 5D Mark III, and have...
  9. I

Excellent. Thanks for the info! Think I'm finally getting my head around it all. Cheers!
  10. I

Last question for y'all. This is the ball head I'm thinking of getting, and attaching it to some yet chosen set of carbon fiber legs: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-40-LR-II&type=3&eq=&desc=BH-40-LR-II%3a-Mid-sized-ballhead-w%2f-AS-II&key=it. That's the BH-40 LR II...
  11. I

Assuming I have the money for either a nice ball head OR a nice set of carbon fiber tripod legs, but not both, am I correct in wanting to pay more for the ball head and settling for a cheaper pair of aluminum legs? I mean I know it'll be heavier and I'll have to lug it around, but once the legs...
  12. I

Much appreciated, all! Tripods are apparently way more complicated than I thought :) Thankfully all the lenses I use now are light weight (50mm f1.4, 24-105mm f4, sigma 12-24mm), and my next purchases (I think) will be the 70-200mm and the 16-35mm, so I won't be shooting with heavy gear any time...
  13. I

So I've been shooting with a Canon 5D and a few basic lenses for a long time now, sort of recreationally, selling photos when I can, but never doing the whole professional thing. Never carried a flash, or a tripod, or anything else. Just upgraded to the Canon 5D Mark III (amazon has a good deal...