Search results

1. nc0b

Anyone tested R5(6) + TC 1.4x III + 400mm f/5.6L ?

While I do prefer to have my shutter speed at 1/1000 to 1/2000 or higher, it doesn't always work out that way. Here is a hawk flying around my back yard shot with a 5DsR 400 f/5.6 @ f/9, 1/800 @ ISO 400.
  2. nc0b

Anyone tested R5(6) + TC 1.4x III + 400mm f/5.6L ?

Here is my experience with a 5DsR and the 1.4 TC III on a 400mm f/5.6 vs. 100-400 II. I am talking about one sample of each lens, and one 50mp body. While I don't use the TC very often on the zoom, the image quality is fine. On the other hand I found the chromatic aberration a big problem...
  3. nc0b

How many EF/RF mount lenses do you own?

My original Rebel is gone, as is my 5D classic, but I still have my 40D and 60D, though not used often. My 6D gets used most, but when I know I need to crop, the 5DsR is amazing. With the pandemic the number of shutter clicks in the last year is appallingly low. I hope we can resume our...
  4. nc0b

IBIS with EF Lenses

Is there any IBIS benefit using the R5 with the EF 400mm f/5.6 lens? If there is any stabilization improvement, does it show up in the EVF?
  5. nc0b

Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

In Colorado I had to wait for clouds to move out of the way. My best shot was about 1 hour after sunset. 5DsR, 100-400mm II L, 1/200, f/8, ISO 1600. I tried a 1.4X TC III, but all it did was make CA worse. Hand held, manually focused.
  6. nc0b

Next step in tele - difficult decision - especially now in between EF and RF.

With my 5DsR I found I could use my 1.4X TC III with my 100-400mm II, but when used with my 400mm f/5.6 the CA was not acceptable. What I would like to know is how well does IBIS work on an R5 with the 400mm f/5.6. Does it stabilize the EVF well, and how many stops of stabilization does it...
  7. nc0b

R5 + Old EF Lens AF Experiences

Has anyone used a 400mm f/5.6 L, which as no IS, on an R5 with IBIS? I still prefer this old prime over my 100-400 II for BIF due to its optional 8.5m close focus limit. I wish the zoom had an additional 10m focus limit option so AF can't get so easily lost in a clear blue sky. Of course I...
  8. nc0b

Who else is excited for the R5/R6 just to use as a stills camera?

Will an R5 IBS make a 400mm f5.6 work as well as my 100-400 II which is often at 400mm? There are times when I want a much slower shutter speed, such as when shooting prop airplanes or helicopters. The f5.6 prime handles so well, and it is still my preferred birding lens. Currently I use a...
  9. nc0b

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L going away?

I love my 100-400 Mk II, but for raptors in flight I still prefer my 400mm f/5.6. I wish the zoom had a second 10m MFD so it wouldn't lose focus in the sky so often. I tried a 1.4X III on my 5DsR with the 400mm, but CA wasn't good, so I just crop as necessary. I don't know that IS is very...
  10. nc0b

Lens recommendations for EU trip

I want to post a belated thank you to all those who took the time to give their recommendations. I took the 6D and 5DsR bodies, and the 24-105 which was my "work horse" lens, the 70-200 f/4 and the 16-35 f/4. Due to my wife being in a wheel chair, plus managing her crutches, it wasn't practical...
  11. nc0b

12. nc0b

I'll be taking a 6D and 5Dsr, plus a limited number of lenses. I need input on which to take besides the 24-105 f/4. Options: 16-35 f/4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8, 100-400 II. No tripod and no speed light, and my choices have to fit in my backpack along with a 4 pound laptop. We land in...
  13. nc0b

Why Canon won´t design fixed lenses wider than 11mm?

Back in the 1970s I owned both the Nikkor 7.5mm f/5.6 180 degree fisheye, and the 6mm f/5.6 220 degree fisheye lenses. You had to lock the mirror up, and you obtained a circular image on the film. The problem was I never found much practical use for either lens. While in college in 1967, a...
  14. nc0b

Non-birder brings a 70-200 and a 2x in search of eagles -- hilarity ensues

I went through this drill of trying to find a single lens solution plus TC, and it didn't work for me. I also wasn't going to spend $6K or more on a big white, as I am 70 years old and just shoot for fun. For any indoor venues I always go with the 70-200mm f/2.8 II, usually with a 6D, but I...
  15. nc0b

85mm f/1.2L II or 85mm f/1.4L IS?

If you don't need a large aperture 50mm, don't rule out the Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro lens. It is super sharp, and has virtually no distortion. Focus is noisy, but so what, and it doesn't cost much.
  16. nc0b

85mm f/1.2L II or 85mm f/1.4L IS?

If I were shooting indoor sports, I would certainly use my 6D and 70-200mm f/2.8 II. I have no concern shooting at ISO 6400 or 12800. I do shoot indoor ballroom dancing, and it is in effect an indoor sporting event. Lots of couples on the floor, lighting usually not great, and with spin turns...
  17. nc0b

6D Mark II will not power up...

Sounds like a good suggestion to notify your vendor the camera died and you want a refund. Get the return paperwork rolling and if possible ship it back before you leave. Take your Canon len(s) with you and buy a new body in Hawaii. I would never leave myself in a situation where I only had...
  18. nc0b

Bought used camera on ebay... funny smell

Regardless of what you do with your camera, here are some comments on eBay. Twice over many years I have purchased items that I would consider very good deals. In both cases, after some ridiculous reason for delayed shipment, the seller canceled the sale. I got my money back but lost my...
  19. nc0b

Do you recommend the 5DSR for birding?

I use a 6D and 5DsR for birding, along with wildlife and general photography. For BIF I always go with a 400mm f/5.6. The cropping flexibility of the 5DsR is exceptional. A 15mb JPG can be cropped to a file less than 100k with good detail. For BIF I mostly shoot raptors, successfully with both...
  20. nc0b

Deal: Canon EOS 5DS R Body $2483 (Reg $3699)

I purchased my 5DsR from Get-It-Digital, a grey market source, before Canon sued them. I had no problem registering the body, nor the 100-400mm II. Both purchases were over a year ago, so warranty isn't even an issue now. The ability to crop a tiny picture of 70k out of a 15mb JPG file is just...