Search results

1. B

Just the MTF Charts: 70-200mm f/4 Zoom Lenses

I agree. The light weight of the f4 zoom combined with its excellent IQ is the reason I have it rather than the f2.8. Also I would highlight the shorter MFD of the f4 IS II which was the primary reason that caused me to upgrade from the f4 IS I.
  2. B

Irix lenses now fully compatible with the Canon EOS R

I have only just purchased an EOS R via a NY discount special so I have not used mine enough yet. However I hired one last year specifically to see how useful the MF aids were on the camera/EVF when focusing close up on small subjects. I found that my hit rate was very high if I used zoom in the...
  3. B

EOS R first impressions - post your hands-on impressions here

This is a good question. I am not interested in getting the 24-105 RF zoom so did not examine this carefully when I used the EOS R body but used the time I had to focus on the aspects I noted in my earlier post. I own the 40 pancake and whilst it is a good lens optically I find manual focus of...
  4. B

I got to use an EOS R yesterday for a short walk around with a group of photographers (Thanks Canon Australia for doing this). The lens used was the new RF 24-105 Zoom. In the time I had with the camera I concentrated on aspects that are important to me (Ergonomics and the EVF for MF): Grip and...
  5. B

Thanks for posting your first impressions. I also use MF lenses frequently and have been waiting for Canon to produce a mirrorless body with good ergonomics for EF/ZE sized lenses and an EVF with strong MF capabilities. Your comments are both helpful and encouraging therefore. What does the...
  6. B

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

Pleased to be reading this thread as I have been contemplating the same topics over the weekend since the details leaked about the new EOS R mount. In particular I want to move to EVF - mirrorless bodies but I am trying to work out a plan to replace my current FF (6D) plus APSC (7DII) bodies...
  7. B

Further Canon EOS R specifications [CR1]

Yes this is a really innovative concept by Canon and appeals to me similarly. It would be good if as you assume it is configurable. Even better if you could use another button on the body to cycle the function ring between different options, e.g. ISO and aperture
  8. B

Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Hope that you are correct as this would be a big improvement ergonomically on other existing mirrorless body options for those EF glass users who want a mirrorless Canon body that will work well ergonomically with larger EF/telephoto lenses (not to mention the RF f2 range).
  9. B

News Flash: Good news for some, bad news for others

Yes a different solution had seemed to be more likely as the rumour mill of recent times has suggested . I also see this as the simple or obvious mount solution rather than an unusual or "sexy" one. However I see this as a pragmatic approach by Canon. The new RF mount body and the new RF...
  10. B

Industry News: Here are the first press images of the Nikon Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Whilst it is hard to judge how well the grip and ergonomics will work without the body in hand the scale of the grip looks good to me. I hired the M5 recently to try out the EVF and was pleased with the operation of both the EVF and the camera but found not surprisingly that the grip was on the...
  11. B

Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe lens, a weird but revolutionary lens for macro videography

Yes new site operation is good. As regards the OP this looks like a fun piece of kit if you engage in insect photography as I do and the performance & price is right. One observation though is that when poking it through foliage as suggested in the image that whilst the lens tip may get close...
  12. B

Sony a7R3 Review and 5D Mark IV Comparisons | Dustin

Thanks Dustin and bwud for the helpful feedback. Interested that you disable the touch screen. I noted Dustin's comments on the screen in his review. Why do you disable your screen?
  13. B

Sony a7R3 Review and 5D Mark IV Comparisons | Dustin

Dustin thanks for another one of your excellent reviews which are always informative and accessible to the reader. Like you I have owned the EOS M for some time for the same reason as you and like many on the forum I am awaiting a good FF mirrorless from Canon. As you have noted in several...
  14. B

What a Full Frame Canon Mirrorless Needs To Have To Be Successful

Your comments in the initial post align well with my own views. +++1 regarding your comments on the EVF. A fully featured EVF on a FF body is key. Over half my EF lenses are MF and I use manual focus more often than not. An EVF with features that assisted MF, for example being able to zoom in...
  15. B

The 40mm "Italy" Shots

When on a trip I limit myself to a couple of fast prime lenses which I aim to do most of my landscape, travel and wildlife photos with. However there is always room in my bag for my lightweight lenses which are the 40 f/2.8 pancake and the 24 f/2.8 IS. Optically they both punch well above their...
  16. B

Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro Lens First Impressions

When rumours were posted on this site several years ago about possible new Tilt Shift lenses being in the works from Canon I was hoping that they would eventuate and was really pleased this year when the rumours proved to be correct. I have owned the TS-E 24 II for some time and it is a fine...
  17. B

Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift Macro

Tripod - 10 Sec timer - Mirror Lockup - Shift 10, f11 13th ISO100
  18. B

Tripod - 10 Sec timer - mirror lockup - Shift 10 10 stop ND filter, f5.6 30 Secs ISO100
  19. B

Handheld Tilt 3 f8 200th ISO640
  20. B

Handheld Tilt 1 f2.8 250th ISO400