Search results

1. PCM-madison

Update on the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM

I'm keeping my 400mm DO II. I just won't use it with the 2X extender anymore and will use the RF 200-800mm instead.
  2. PCM-madison

Update on the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM

I picked mine up from my local camera shop on December 26. We've had cloudy/overcast weather in southern Wisconsin so I don't have notable photos to show yet, but I have a few comments. In terms of specifications and weight, the closest I have is the 400mm DO IS ii + 2X extender. For me, the...
  3. PCM-madison

Show us your best sunsets….

Venus transiting the setting Sun.
  4. PCM-madison

Puzzled about a multi-purpose lens for my Canon R5 for documentary/travel photos

I've been happy with the 24-240mm as my travel lens (on an RP). Here are examples across the focal length range, chuckwalla (240mm), Morgan Falls (129mm), Titus Canyon (24mm).
  5. PCM-madison

Thinking EOS R or RP for Kolari IR Conversion: Thoughts?

I had a good experience converting my EOS M to IR with LifePixel. I have an RP (not converted), and I think it would be a great converted camera. I think a more important issue is that some lenses have bad artifacts with IR "hotspots." The 22mm M lens seems artifact free and is the one I use the...
  6. PCM-madison

Puzzled about a multi-purpose lens for my Canon R5 for documentary/travel photos

The RF 24-105 F4 is a very nice lens that I have used for travel with great results. Also consider the RF 24-240mm which comes very close in quality if you don't need F4.
  7. PCM-madison

Wildflower Photos

Desert 5-spot, Death Valley, CA
  8. PCM-madison

Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM: First Impressions

The more I use this lens, the more I like it. Blue-grey gnatcatcher, Madison, WI.
  9. PCM-madison

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Blue-grey gnatcatcher, Madison, WI
  10. PCM-madison

Backcountry Journeys

What is your question? Gear recommendations for backpacking or international travel? Strategies to get top level , heavy, bulky gear to remote places, or something else?
  11. PCM-madison

Resolution for prints: R5 vs R6

First, I agree with the comments that you can print great large prints from 20 megapixels. Second, I have an R5 and I love it (but I do shoot birds and do a lot of cropping). Third, I have experimented with the AI upscale filters and have been impressed. I'll share one example taken with my...
  12. PCM-madison

RF and EF extenders on the EF 600/4L IS II

Neuro, can you post a photo that shows how much of the Commlite adapter was removed?
  13. PCM-madison

RF and EF extenders on the EF 600/4L IS II

Thank you neuro! This is great information.
  14. PCM-madison

TCs on the 100-400mm II

Cooper's hawk with prey, R5 + EF 100-400 ii + 2X iii, 1/1000 sec, F11, iso 1600.
  15. PCM-madison

Winter 2021-2022

Bald Eagle and Gull on the ice in Madison.
  16. PCM-madison

Show your Bird Portraits

Snowy Owl near Madison, WI. 5Ds R + 400mm DO ii + 1.4X extender iii.
  17. PCM-madison

Canon RF 24-240 operating temperature

In a spot check of half a dozen EF and RF mount camera body specs at Canon USA, all of the bodies listed an "operating environment" of 32-104F. That being said I have had no problems using my cameras below 32F in Wisconsin. I do own the RF 24-240, but I don't think I've used it in temperatures...
  18. PCM-madison

Did I make a mistake buying the RF 100-500

To the point about depth of field and needing a narrower aperture, here is a duck photo at 600mm, f11, 1/1000, iso 2500 and the tail is still slightly out of focus.
  19. PCM-madison

R5 rattling sound when removing lens

I partially reproduced what you describe with my R5. My R5 had not been powered on for a few days. I removed the lens before I turned on my R5 and got noise and vibration similar to what you describe. After reattaching the lens, powering the camera on and off (with sensor cleaning on power down)...
  20. PCM-madison

Here is the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

A couple of points: First, if you use the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM on an R-series camera, you are forced to use crop mode which greatly limits the available resolution. Second, I have compared the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM used on an SL1 to the RF 100-400mm used on an RP and the image...