Search results

1. Mr_Canuck

SL1 and 10-18mm seems better option than mirrorless

Canon store have this kit refurb for $269 but you have to be notified and catch it within about 30 seconds to grab one. And I can't find any way to get one from Canada. They restrict every non-US form of payment, even paypal. So it's not an option. I found a pretty competitive offering here. The...
  2. Mr_Canuck

Ultimate Gear Versus Weight and Size

I have spent my photographic life banging my head against the laws of physics that seem to demand that size is directly proportional to quality (forgetting the photographer for this instance). Mainly because photography is simply a hobby for me. I want a deck of cards that shoots medium format...
  3. Mr_Canuck

The Canon Brand Still Means Something

I think Canon stands on the quality of their lenses and, for DSLR, the quality and consistency of their bodies. There are still those who vastly prefer an optical viewfinder. The pros still seem to want DSLR for sports, but studio is opening up more and more to mirrorless. And look at how...
  4. Mr_Canuck

SL1 and 10-18mm seems better option than mirrorless

I've gotten heavily into hiking in the past two years. I'm finding that my full-frame 6D is more camera than I want to carry, while my Sony RX100 is too limited particularly at the wide angle. So I'm considering a Canon SL1 with the 10-18mm STM as the go-to lens. The most appealing thing is...
  5. Mr_Canuck

What happened to the SL2?

There were a number of rumours for a release this September. Any news about that? Do I just need to go ahead and get an SL1? What could you possible do differently with the SL2 than, say Wifi (a must), perhaps a titling LCD (doubt it with the t6i), smaller (is that possible), pentaprism vs...
  6. Mr_Canuck

Two EF-M Primes Coming in Q1 2016 [CR2]

What's the difference between mirrorless and slr cameras? No, it's not the mirror. It's the viewfinder. That's the difference. I could care less if there's a mirror or not. And because Sony (main example) still makes big, long lenses (unlike, say, Pentax), the thickness factor of a mirrorless is...
  7. Mr_Canuck

Anyone using the EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder on M3???

Interesting comments about the EVF being more of a lens-specific benefit. I'm not too jazzed about the 55-200, and I can't see there being lots of benefit in an adapter and my 70-200/f4 vs my dslr. So I'm thinking likely that the M3 and 11-22 with the flexible LCD might suffice. I will say that...
  8. Mr_Canuck

Anyone using the EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder on M3???

I'm looking for the ideal hiking setup, and the M3 with 11-22mm seems like the jig. But I'm a viewfinder kinda guy and wondering how the DC1 works in real life. Sounds like the quality is there, but having that appendage on top of the camera seems dodgy. Any personal experience you can tell me...
  9. Mr_Canuck

Canon Announces the EOS M10

If they had included a hotshoe for an evf I would consider this, or if they had included and evf. I'm waiting for the M4 with an evf, then I think I've found my perfect hiking setup. The 11-22mm is tiny; they nailed it. Hullo, mirrorless camera makers, you need to have small lenses too, no? The...
  10. Mr_Canuck

Canon Announces the EOS M10

Oh look, a Sony NEX 3... 4 years after the fact. Who's been the director of this mirrorless unit at Canon that should be rolled out the door?
  11. Mr_Canuck

Canon PowerShot G9 X at Canon USA

Oh look, a Sony RX100 Mark I, three years after the fact, except a shorter focal range. (Canon has done well in slr lenses though.)
  12. Mr_Canuck

New EOS M Camera & Lens Make an Appearance

I'm going to sit and wait for Canon to either come up with better specified M cameras for the money they are asking, or for their existing late to the game M cameras to drop significantly in price. The M3 is a Sony a5000 from a few years back, but at twice to three times the price depending on...
  13. Mr_Canuck

New EOS M Camera & Lens Make an Appearance

I saw a sony a5000 for $399 next to an M3 for $999 today and had to laugh, or cry, or just think, c'mon Canon, get a grip on this.
  14. Mr_Canuck

EF-M15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM apperas at Canon.com.sg

That spec has powerzoom pancake written all over it. And if so, it is absolutely the right direction. f6.3 is really pushing it though. I'd be surprised to see them push that. Either way, they're starting to catch up to Sony circa 2012! At least in mirrorless, which isn't their focus. This feels...
  15. Mr_Canuck

6D weather sealing

You're all likely correct, and it makes sense considering the published material and the price points. I think you'll find that only Pentax have budget decently weather sealed bodies.
  16. Mr_Canuck

New EOS M Body Coming in October? [CR1]

Doesn't jive with recent interview with Canon CEO, who said an enthusiast M was on the way. Canon may be slow in the mirrorless world, but they aren't stupid. Look at the recent raft of top quality lenses. Just wait and a better M will come...
  17. Mr_Canuck

EOS M4 wish list

I couldn't agree more regarding compact and pancake lenses. I had a Pentax system for a while, and they have understood the benefit of small, quality lenses. For some reason it hasn't caught on with the mirrorless crowd. I don't get it. Why the long lenses on a tiny body? Why not short lenses on...
  18. Mr_Canuck

Canon EOS 6D Mark II Talk [CR1]

I can't wait for the new box.
  19. Mr_Canuck

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4

I've always said the very same thing. Why not IS in everything? And why not a 50/1.4 IS just like the 35? Make it better than the old one (not super hard), and keep it mid-level. The 1.2 is for L and thousands.