Search results

1. Mr_Canuck

SL1 and 10-18mm seems better option than mirrorless

I've gotten heavily into hiking in the past two years. I'm finding that my full-frame 6D is more camera than I want to carry, while my Sony RX100 is too limited particularly at the wide angle. So I'm considering a Canon SL1 with the 10-18mm STM as the go-to lens. The most appealing thing is...
  2. Mr_Canuck

What happened to the SL2?

There were a number of rumours for a release this September. Any news about that? Do I just need to go ahead and get an SL1? What could you possible do differently with the SL2 than, say Wifi (a must), perhaps a titling LCD (doubt it with the t6i), smaller (is that possible), pentaprism vs...
  3. Mr_Canuck

Anyone using the EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder on M3???

I'm looking for the ideal hiking setup, and the M3 with 11-22mm seems like the jig. But I'm a viewfinder kinda guy and wondering how the DC1 works in real life. Sounds like the quality is there, but having that appendage on top of the camera seems dodgy. Any personal experience you can tell me...
  4. Mr_Canuck

Photocopied Pine

Not really, but it looks like it. Or it could have been lithographed. I really did very little post-processing other than black and white conversion. It just came out this way and I like it a lot. Shot with 6D and 24-70/f4.
  5. Mr_Canuck

Coca Cola Barn

Shot at the quaint village of Yahk, British Columbia. 6D, 24-70/f4.
  6. Mr_Canuck

Filter price disparity

So, when the Canadian dollar got larger than the American a few years back, it pulled the pants down on the publishing and auto industries' price gouging of Canadians. Seems that camera/lens makers got the message too in large part. But why not filter manufacturers? Why are most filters two to...
  7. Mr_Canuck

24-70L f/4 my new favourite lens?

I picked up a 24-70 f4 last week at London Drugs in Vancouver for $799. It seems like a good deal at that price. I've been putting off having a normal zoom for years but I think with this one I've found my match. For a full-frame L lens it's compact and relatively light, and very well balanced...
  8. Mr_Canuck

In praise of the 40mm f/2.8 STM

I came across a review of the Sony FE35mm f/2.8 that said it was a great lens... for the "very reasonable" price of $799. That's a lot of money for a zeiss logo. And my thoughts immediately went to my Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM. It's also a great lens with a very reasonable price. We don't even need...
  9. Mr_Canuck

Nikon 20mm f/1.8

Well, once again Nikon is ahead of Canon in offering modern upgraded lenses, like the 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 55/1.4, 85, 16-34/4 etc etc etc etc. And now it's this great looking 20/1.8. What a great astro photography lens, not to mention landscapes. Go shoot Nikon, you say. I don't want to. I...
  10. Mr_Canuck

Is my Mountain shot HDR or not?

Not that it will affect my sleep, but I'm curious about how HDR is defined. I didn't use an "HDR" mode in camera or in post-processing. Nor did I combine two or more bracketed exposures. I merely did some dodging of shadows and burning of highlights so that there is more vibrance across the...
  11. Mr_Canuck

the beauty of blur

I took the blue shot of the aspen a couple weeks ago with my 70-200mm and the multi-coloured shot of the maples just this evening with my 20mm. But I feel they are linked together. There's just one little touch that's in focus in each image.
  12. Mr_Canuck

Tamron 90 macro or Canon 100 for portraits?

So I bought a 50 f/2.5 compact macro. It's nice and small and sharp and great but it's just not close enough for my macro interests I've discovered. I'm also missing having a fast short-tele prime for portraits and such (had a minolta 100/f2 that was amazing). I'm shooting a 6D and have a 20mm...
  13. Mr_Canuck

2014, the year of the lens...but for whom?

We know it's the year of the lens for Sigma. Last year certainly was. They've turned a corner. Is Steve Jobs's nephew running the company now or what? We know it's the year of the lens for Tamron. They've come up with some notable updates and improvements to their already most popular lenses...
  14. Mr_Canuck

iPhone as camera for recent Disney vacation

So we just spent two weeks of spring break in Orlando, Florida, with six days at Disney. It was a great time. I never once considered taking my DSLR. But I did take my Sony RX100 as a proposed compact holiday/travel camera. I was with family, and the trip was all about family and fun. In the...
  15. Mr_Canuck

I found a great deal on an ST-E2 and 420EX

I've had my 6D for a couple months now, and although I rarely break out the flash, I've found that when I do I prefer off-camera lighting. I took a little look around kijiji online classifieds and found the ST-E2 transmitter in another city. The guy also had a 420EX, both in great shape. Got...
  16. Mr_Canuck

Stack of tires in snow

I had an hour to kill on Monday so took a walk about in the snow with my Voigtlander 20mm lens in hand. Had some fun with a stack of tires in the snow...
  17. Mr_Canuck

Big Rock Black and White

This is the view off our patio, and I'm grateful every day for it. Fresh snow and morning sun. It looked best in black and white. A horizontal framing of a portrait shot I took/posted a few weeks ago.
  18. Mr_Canuck

Mountain morning

Took a brief walk this morning and took a few shots. Cold out! -27C. Shot with the 6D and 70-200/4 with a Cokin grad.
  19. Mr_Canuck

40D with grip for $300, or something else?

I'm looking at getting a backup to my 6D, and also something the family can share. Someone locally has a good one for sale, with grip, a couple batteries, L-plate, in original box. They're asking $350. I think I can get it for $300. Seems like a great deal. Any reason I should be looking at a...
  20. Mr_Canuck

Stars Above, Stars Below.

A shot along my driveway after a good snow. Took about 5 minutes but it was a gorgeous evening and the shot easily presented itself. I love how the mixed colours of light from the house and the Christmas lights cast upward on the trees. Shot with 6D and Voigtlander 20mm at f/5.6, ISO 4000 and 6...