Search results

1. N

Canon officially announces the EOS Rebel SL3

Still, this may be a good travel or second camera for some people who don't have a small DSLR. I will be interested in sensor reports.
  2. N

Patent: Lots of super telephoto lenses mentioned

Chaitanya, that's interesting about the popularity of the 400 f/5.6L in India. I keep recommending this lens to beginner bird photographers who don't need a telephoto zoom (those people I steer towards the 100-400 L versions I, or II if they can afford it). I also recommend getting a monopod or...
  3. N

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

The 6D is also the camera for low light and astrolandscape photography, adapted lenses, manual focus lenses (because it has interchangeable screens). I am using it until it dies, same with 7D2. So far, 20 MP is enough for the small prints I make.
  4. N

New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

The mirrorless camera that I want is the full-frame Foveon sensor Sigma Quattro ILC, and its announced EF to Quattro adapter (and Nikon F mount to Quattro adapter). The Sigma sensor has its own look, and if you work within its limitations (needs low ISO), the files are lovely. This is a camera...
  5. N

Industry News: The L-Mount Alliance: a strategic cooperation between Leica Camera, Panasonic and Sigma

Well, when Sigma comes out with its full frame Foveon camera, an EF to L adapter, and a tweaked and faster Sigma SPP RAW converter/editor, I will be there. I will admit that Foveon is a special uses sensor, due to the need to stay close to base ISO, and that a few non-Sigma full-frame lenses...
  6. N

Note that one can add an EF to R adapter onto an EF lens, but a non-optical (no glass elements) R to EF adapter is impossible, due to flange to sensor distance being shorter in mirrorless cameras than in DSLRs. As I understand it, the optical (lens-containing) adapters on the market aren't very...
  7. N

So how good is the electronic viewfinder on the R? That would seem to be one important consideration for action photographers. Another major consideration is camera build quality. Action photographers (at least the pros) prefer water-resistant tanks. And why isn't 14 per second good enough for...
  8. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Currently I am dealing with the 6D original and 7D2 sensors, and do not print large. I have been holding off on a high resolution sensor until there is additional sensor improvement re dynamic resolution or my existing cameras give up the ghost. I am looking at panorama to increase resolution if...
  9. N

Is the Canon EOS 5DS series to be replaced by a mirrorless camera? [CR1]

If a new high resolution camera with a more advanced sensor (more dynamic resolution and no pattern noise) became available for EF mount, I would buy it.
  10. N

Meike Announces 6-11mm f/3.5 Fisheye Zoom for Canon EF

circular fisheye might be of interest to me.
  11. N

EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II and EF 500mm f/4L IS II to receive updates in mid to late 2019 [CR2]

Oh good. Maybe I can get a used 500 f/4 LIS v2 for less. Robinlee, I for one would be interested in your "old" lens once you get the v.3
  12. N

Canon officially announces the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III & EF 600mm f/4L IS III. The worlds lightest lenses of their kind

Here's hoping that some used 500 f/4 IIs come onto the market.... The new 400 f/2.8 redesign might be very attractive to sports photographers due to the change in weight distribution.
  13. N

New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

I actually like the 50 mm FL. Even better - 55 or 60 or even 65 mm. This may be due to early imprinting by my 35mm film camera and its Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.4 lens and 60 f/2.8 1:1 macro (back when Mamiya made 35 mm format cameras). My current standard FF walkabout prime is the SIgma Art 35mm...
  14. N

Today i officially felt left behind with being a Canon shooter

Magic Lantern alternative firmware (primarily for video) is available for most models of Canon cameras. The ML coding team takes a few weeks from commercial release to issue the beta of the ML firmware for that model, and final is done usually by 6 months. It does focus peaking and a number of...
  15. N

Does Sony "eye focus" work on bird eyes when the bird is moving or is relatively small in the frame?
  16. N

“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” – Ansel Adams “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” – Ansel Adams People (hobbyists and pros) will use cameras they like to use, and lenses they like to use. Few photographers (as...
  17. N

PS. I LIKE optical viewfinders, well implemented (Canon, I am looking at you - why did you change the exposure scale from the bottom to the side in the 7D2? The 6D style is SO much easier to see in brighter light).
  18. N

I don't feel left behind at all concerning mirrorless. I want sensor improvements - another stop of dynamic range, still keeping the low pattern noise of the 6D and 7D2, and no funny-biz compression factors as used by Sony. (This has to do with processing of night photography, for which Canon...
  19. N

Zeiss to Announce 100mm f/1.4 Otus APO Sonnar T*

Portraits, probably. Although lenses can be "too sharp" for portraits, and images need a little smoothing out.
  20. N

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III one of two “Big White Lenses” coming ahead of Photokina [CR3]

Well, if it is, the version II ought to be coming up in the used market.