Search results

1. N

Electronic compatibility of EF-S lens on EF body?

What happens when you put an EF-S lens, via electronically communicating extension tubes, on an EF body? Is there any risk of screwing up the EF body's or the EF-S lens's electronics? I haven't tried the experiment of putting any EF-S lens on a FF body before now, mostly because without...
  2. N

Rotational symmetry image processing - astro folks?

So, I would like to process images of cilia cross-sections (transmission electron microscopy black and white image), which have 9-fold symmetry, to enhance some hard to see structures. Easiest is probably to rotate the same cilium cross-section +40 degrees around the circle, thin the layers ...
  3. N

Mac users: have you used Reikan Focal AFMA utility?

and is it reliable on your OS (10.6.8 to 10.10.1)
  4. N

AF microadjustment of long telephotos - favorite method/product?

So, I would like to be able to AF microadjust my 400 f/5.6L as well as shorter lenses. I am looking for advice on a method or product for this procedure. I would like to get a start on learning the method before buying the 7D2. I would like to distinguish between hardware problems (AFMA needed...
  5. N

Awaiting reviews: Samyang 12mm f/2.8 FF diagonal 180 fisheye

The lens is in at B and H and Adorama, and is listed in European sites. I am waiting for someone to do a coma test on the lens, as well as a general review (yoo-hoo, Lenstip!). This would be a great astrophotography lens for ultrawide applications such as meteors, auroras, etc. , also for...
  6. N

Samyang full frame diagonal fisheye, 12mm f/2.8 - astrophotography!

Is anyone else excited at the Samyang 12mm f/2.8 full frame diagonal fisheye? Please Samyang, make this a good one, decent corners, no obnoxious coma, usable for astro-landscape and for meteor fields at f/2.8 to f/3.5
  7. N

Rain umbrella holder for tripod?

Has anyone seen or made a good rain umbrella holder for tripod? Bill Lea gave a seminar locally and had a prototype holder for a golf umbrella, looked nice, not available yet. The idea is to have a cup that one can attach to the tripod leg, umbrella sits loosely in the cup (you don't want to...
  8. N

Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 to debut at Photokina

It's official. Yet one more amazing lens, no doubt with an even more amazing price tag.
  9. N

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II performance at minimum focus distance?

Thoughts on this, lens owners out there? I have yet to get a normal zoom for my 6D due to dithering about "which one". I would like to have decent performance at minimum focus distance for a walkaround zoom. I hear such good things about the f/2.8 II, but have seen one review stating that...