Search results

1. C

Time for a playful topic! What's in your two lens bag?

24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II or 16-35 4.0 IS or 100-400 II
  2. C

Upgrade from 17-40 f4 to 16-35 f4 IS?

I replaced my 17-40 L with the 16-35 L IS about 8 months ago. Why? Well when I got back from a trip to Arches National Park and began looking and printing the photos I just didn't like the photos taken with the 17-40 L as much as the photos taken with the other lenses I used on the trip...
  3. C

Really Right Stuff: Questions about jumping in for ball head, tripod, everything

My guess is it would work but you should give them a call. I've called a few times and they have been very helpful. I've even stopped in their warehouse/store when I was in California just to drool over all the stuff I don't have.
  4. C

Really Right Stuff: Questions about jumping in for ball head, tripod, everything

I own all of the RRS items you are thinking of getting and they are ALL great!!! The 34L tripod is rock solid and with the long legs is very versatile. I was originally going to purchase the 33 but after talking with someone at RRS they convinced me to go for the long version and I'm very glad...
  5. C

17-40 l advice vers the 16-35l 4.0

I owned the 17-40L for several years and then a few months ago I got a 16-35 f/4L IS loaner from CPS and WOW. I quickly sold my 17-40L for $425 and purchased the 16-35 f4/L IS. I found the center sharpness about the same but the corners are way better.
  6. C

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off?

Re: 24-70 f/2.8 II Lens Hood Falls Off? I've had mine also fall off. I think since it's made of such flexible plastic it's easy to not get it locked in place correctly. Recently I've been more careful putting it on and haven't had any problems.
  7. C

Even more tripod woes

My experience with RRS has been GREAT. I really don't believe krisbell, he must be a salesperson for another tripod company.
  8. C

Even more tripod woes

Bought several lower priced tripods and wasn't happy with any of them. Then I finally bought the RRS 34L and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Sure it's expensive but it's the last full size tripod I'll ever buy. Looking at the TQC-14 for hiking and backpacking.
  9. C

ND filters (first timer here)

I also use to use screw on filters but since I have lenses which use 82mm and 77mm filters I bit the bullet and now use the Lee system (which I think is great and often use the Little Stopper and a ND Grad together). I have the Lee Big Stopper (10 stops), Lee Little Stopper (6 stops) and the...
  10. C

"Budget" Wildlife Lens Option

Fr3nzy, again if you can afford the 100-400 MII get it. It is a GREAT lens. I had the Sigma 150-600mm sport and sold it because once I got the Canon 100-400 MII I didn't use it any more. The Canon 100-400 MII with a 1.4 TC is just as sharp if not sharper than the Sigma at 600mm and the Sigma...
  11. C

RRS leving base

If the reason you want a leveling base is for single row panoramas take a look at RRS PC-LR. I have one and love it.
  12. C

Review - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Once again another great review by Dustin. The Canon EF 100-400mm L II is a GREAT lens. I preordered the 100-400mm L II in October 2014 and received it November 2014 with thoughts that I would probably return it since I had recently purchased the Sigma 150-600mm Sport. Well, after just over a...
  13. C

Firmware Notice: Speedlite 600EX-RT and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT

Ditto, My 3 600's and transmitter are also part of the recall.
  14. C

Winter

Mt. Bachelor taken from Todd Lake about 4 weeks ago
  15. C

best bird lens if you pls

The best semi-expensive lens is the 100-400 V2.... It will resolve much better than the Sigma in the 100-400mm range and with the 1.4X teleconverter is equivalent to the Sigma at 600... Don't even think of putting a teleconverter on the Sigma (or the Tamron) on a crop camera. You will DECREASE...
  16. C

Post your Panoramics!

Here's one from the Eagle Cap Wilderness. Yes, I carried my 5D3, a couple lenses, tripod and other photo equipment up to 8,600ft. The lake is at 8,200ft.
  17. C

Review: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS Contemporary

Dustin, I preordered the Sigma Sport when it was first announced and have found it to have very good IQ up through about 450mm, above that it's not great. I then ordered a Canon 100-400 II when it was announced thinking I would return it but the Canon is an awesome lens and I had to keep it...
  18. C

Review - Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

fragilesi, good plan renting the 100-400 4.5-5.6L II. I bet you won't be disappointed or maybe you will because my guess is you'll be selling the 70-300.
  19. C

Review - Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

As always Dustin has done a great review but my experience with the 70-300 L wasn't great and I ended up selling it. Image quality was outstanding but I found the AF speed very disappointing. I have owned the 70-200 2.8L II for few years and have recently purchased the 100-400 4.5-5.6L II and...
  20. C

More Tripod Advice please

Don't overlook RRS. I think their stuff is the best.