Search results

1. R

Antelope Canyon

Hi I am hoping to return to the Antelope Canyon this winter. I believe they stopped allowing Tripods in the Lower Canyon a few years ago but still allow them in the upper. Anyone has any experience/suggestions about this? With the lighting conditions inside the lower canyon I doubt one can get...
  2. R

Recovery of Files

Hi, I have accidentally formatted a Lexar CF card and am wondering how to recover the files. I use Macs exclusively so please suggest options for that platform. Thanks a lot! Ray
  3. R

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Photo Advice

Hi I am heading to these parks this summer. I have found many sites in Grand Teton that are consistently mentioned as good spots but not Yellowstone. Could you recommend some sites in both parks and any other pointers to be aware off? Thx Ray
  4. R

Home Studio

Hi I am setting up a home studio for non professional use. It's in the basement which is unfinished. I bought a backdrop stand and black muslin backdrop. Am not so impressed with either as the stand is a bit flimsy and the backdrop cloth is a bit thin but for the moment, they will do. I would...
  5. R

Camera Travel Clamp

Hi, I am looking to find a reliable clamp for my rig. I am looking to be able to clamp the 5D MKIII and 70-200mm F/2.8 L II to a fence, railing or pole. Mainly for places where tripods/monopods are not permitted. The above combo is quite heavy so has to be able to support that and perhaps more...
  6. R

Basement Studio

Hi, I am going to be moving into a house with an unfinished basement. 10' unfinished ceilings. I would like to convert part of it into an informal studio to practice portrait photography. Any ideas on covering the walls and ceiling? What material, color of material could/should I use? I have not...
  7. R

Yellowstone Photo Workshop/Tours

Hi, Does anyone have any experience or information about a good photo workshop or tour of Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons? Thx Ray
  8. R

Milky Way in Yosemite

Hi, I am headed there in August. I have always wanted to but never have taken a Milky Way shot yet. Having seen some outstanding photos online of it in Yosemite I really want to give it a shot. For the total novice at this could you educated me in how to do it and if there are any specific spots...
  9. R

Lake Tahoe?

Hello, I have a trip coming up to Yosemite in August. I will have possibly a day and half to spare. Wondering if I should go to Lake Tahoe or somewhere within a few hours driving distance from Yosemite. I see there are the Mono Lake area. What would you recommend? Will have family with me so...
  10. R

Toronto,ON

Hi, Visiting Toronto this summer. Any recommendations: -What points of interest to photograph there? - Best places to get the skyline? I see that Toronto Islands are nice to do that but which one? I will be staying in the city so how do I get there for dawn shots? Is there any transportation at...
  11. R

Grand Canyon

Hi, I might have an opportunity to go there in May this year for about 4 days. Am thinking of stopping by in Sedona on my way from Phoenix. Any ideas, suggestions, specific points of photography will be appreciated. Thx Ray
  12. R

Studio Recommendations

Hi, For a long time I have been wanting to start a studio in the basement. Non professional, mainly for family and friends. I would like to finally get started, perhaps a background with poles would be a good place to start? I have no typical studio equipment like lights, stands, backgrounds...
  13. R

HDR

Hi, I have never done HDR. Recently I took some bracketed RAW images in Arches NP. The intent was to try my hand at HDR. My exposures are -2,0 and +2 EV. I am also pretty inexperienced in editing, do some minor corrections, warming etc. Could you advice regarding workflow? I have CS5. I would...
  14. R

What Determines Maximum Final Print Size

I am very ill educated on this subject. I have a unedited RAW image with these specifications: 22MP 240 ppi 5760X 3840 Though I am not looking to make it a billboard but trying to understand what determines the maximum final print size? Thx Ray
  15. R

Katmai National PArk Advice

Hi, I am looking for some advice on visiting this park. - When is the best time of the year to view the bears? - What is the way to get there? - Are there photo expeditions/tours or can this be a family vacation? - How many days is sufficient? - Besides bear photography what else is there of...
  16. R

Yosemite

Hi, I am planning to go next year. I am requesting suggestions for -best time -Places to photograph - Any specific places/times of the day that is considered special? - I plan to stay in the Yosemite lodge(understand that reservations are tough). - Any books, websites to plan the photo trip...
  17. R

Accessories Advice Needed

HI, 1) I need a pouch to carry my Lee Filters. Standing in cold water in Zion and fiddling with the bag to get and change filters was not fun! I received the Lee pouch today, though it looks functional, I am not too impressed by it. Any other suggestions? 2) I also want a monopod. Never used one...
  18. R

National Park Advice Needed

Hi, I am firming up my plans to Southern UT and Northern AZ this fall. Due to the rush I am having to change my plans around a bit. On my way from Salt Lake City to Page,AZ i will have about a day and half. Wondering what I could see during that time. I will be passing Zion and Bryce canyons...
  19. R

Aspect Ratio: Please educate

Hi, MY default has been 3:2 on the 5D III. I understand what it is but could you share/educate your default and why? Also in what situations do you change and why? Thx, Ray
  20. R

Zeiss Dilemma

Hi, I have been wanting to get some Zeiss glass for a while but held out due to the cost and manual focus concerns. With the ongoing rebate it has become tempting. And while at a friends, I used them and didn't feel that the MF would be an issue. I would like to get one, so narrowed it down to...