Search results

1. JRPhotos

Winter photography gloves - Vallerett - Help

I live in Maine, in our winters can get pretty cold. I have some really nice military mittens with a furry patch on the back of the hand and they are great- I've been using those for awhile but would prefer to keep them for non-photography work. I'm looking at the Vallerett gloves, I like that...
  2. JRPhotos

Advantages of mirrorless?

Hi, I shoot with the 5DMK IV. What are the advantages of mirrorless? Smaller Body? Better resolution? Sharper images? I've read specs but just don't understand the hype. I'm genuinely wanting to know. Does the new R replace the 5D line or is it along the lines of a 6D?
  3. JRPhotos

Godox AD600pro carrying bag?

I'm looking for a bag that can carry 2 of these light unit's. They have their own bag that carries one for $100 but that is a JOKE. I would never pay that much for a little bag. Any suggestions? I'd like a bag that is somewhat padded but mainly fits the 2 lights.
  4. JRPhotos

X-Rite Password and Canon Digital Photo Professional

Hi everyone, my workflow like many others I'm sure changes over time. In the past I used to use Canon's EOS software to download my photos (still do, actually) and have it place them in specific folders. 1) I then open the RAW files up in Adobe Bridge. 2) I would take a photo of my X-Rite...
  5. JRPhotos

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens 4k video sample on 5D MKIV?

I recorded some video clips of the family decorating the Christmas tree today in 4k on my 5DMK IV Canon 54 1.4II and iPhone 8 Plus. The video quality is leaps and bounds better on the Canon (obviously). I want to do more with my Canon without the lens motor noise. I'm looking at the Canon EF...
  6. JRPhotos

Battery Grips, are they worth it?

I'm looking at buying a new or used Canon battery grip for my 5D MKIV. Are they worth it? I shoot a lot of portraits and have never used one. I have no camera stores in the area to try/buy.
  7. JRPhotos

Canon 5D MKIV dual memory card question

I use the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Card (160MB/s) but am thinking about getting the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card and have the camera write to both cards at the same time for a backup. Will I see any performance loss?
  8. JRPhotos

Any rumors on a new Canon 50mm 1.4?

I really want a 50mm lens. I didn't like the Sigma.
  9. JRPhotos

Time to upgrade my video card... Nvidia or AMD?

Hi, it's time to upgrade my video card in my desktop. Right now, I have the MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card. I'm replacing it as it's glitching a lot of PS when I use the brush tool in ACR. I've tried several...
  10. JRPhotos

Canon DLO Question

If I were to apply the DLO within Canon DPP software to my RAW files and then edit the photos in either Lightroom or Photoshop Camera RAW, would those settings carry over? I don't like to shoot with DLO turned on in camera (5D MKIV) as it's too slow.
  11. JRPhotos

New Canon 50/85 L lenses?

For the past year or two I've read rumors about a new 50 1.2L and 85 1.4L coming out. Any more on that?
  12. JRPhotos

50mm vs 85mm on FF for portraits & group portraits?

I moved up from Canon 7DMKII to a Canon 5DMKIV. On my 7D I used the Canon 35 1.4 L II which I LOVED; portraits and group portraits came out really well. Now, on the 5D, it's so wide and if I get closer there's distortion. I need to replace this lens with either a 50 or 85 for the two types of...
  13. JRPhotos

Canon 5D MKIV - Slow write speed with DLO on

I turned Digital Lens Optimizer on to see how it would come out in PS, I've always liked the results in Canon's software and wish that I could implement in PS, now I can with this. However, the write speed after taking one photo is about 2~ seconds before I can take another. I'm wondering if...
  14. JRPhotos

Canon 7DMKII vs Canon 5D MKIV - Image quality

I know that the new 5D is not out yet but generally speaking, does the 5D have better image quality? So far for the most part I am happy with the 7DMKII and typically get very sharp photos and can zoom in a bit and still have good quality photos, depending on the lens. I've never used a full...
  15. JRPhotos

ND Filter questions

Hi, I have a few ND circular filters, but I'm looking at the mountable rectangular ones. I'm interested in the ND Grads, .6 or so. I like the ability to slide the graduation up or down depending on the horizon. I don't know where to start, what's a good brand/quality filter? Can I get one...
  16. JRPhotos

Instructional video for clients?

I found a video (did not save it) a year or so ago that was made by a photographer for clients. It instructions them how to pose or what to expect, etc. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or know of one similar? I wanted something extra for our clients to prep for before shooting.
  17. JRPhotos

Canon's new site - How to get software updates?

I've tried this in Firefox, Edge and IE with the same results. I punch in my model and click "Get Drivers & Downloads" and nothing loads. How can I get DPP updates?
  18. JRPhotos

Stack Adobe Photographers deal?

Every now and then B&H and Adorama have a sake on the Photography CC annual subscription and am wondering if I can stack a couple of sale purchases?
  19. JRPhotos

Canon DPP & Canon EF 35II Lens profile?

Does anyone know when they will update DPP to list the 35II lens data / profile?
  20. JRPhotos

Canon 7DMKII changing focal points

Is it possible to move the focal points using the knob without having to press the focal point button? I find that very distracting.