Search results

1. tiggy@mac.com

Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L USM video features

I've been using the Sigma Art 40mm f/1.4 for that rough focal range. It's probably the best Sigma Art prime they've made, and that's saying something. Even though it's big and heavy, and requires an adapter for RF, it would take something awfully bonkers-good to make me buy another 35mm-ish...
  2. tiggy@mac.com

SmallRig LP-E6NH $31.99 (Reg $39.99)

OK, I finally got around to doing that R5 battery test I suggested, where I'd see how low a charge these SmallRig batteries can go before they start to go from the "green H+" level of frames per second (12 fps) to the "white H+" (9 fps). You all may recall that Canon batteries typically go to...
  3. tiggy@mac.com

Canon Patent Application: New Composite element for a RF 50mm F1.4

The lenses where they used composites (remember “blue goo?”) were fantastic quality. Miss the EF 35 f/1.4 II. I do wonder if that lens today has same image quality versus the new composite. As many plastics cloud over long periods. I’m guessing they’re figured that out and it’s not an issue.
  4. tiggy@mac.com

Did a test overnight of the ones I've been using for months. The Dolin charger has a feature where it will discharge the battery completely, charge it again, and then test the amount of power output for an entire new cycle. It reveals that the SmallRig batteries - after a couple dozen real-world...
  5. tiggy@mac.com

I got a couple when they first came out. Really put them through their paces, with more than 20 recharges each now. They keep their charge more so than the Canon OEM batteries. By that I mean they have about the same delivered power, but if you leave it on the shelf or in the camera, it'll...
  6. tiggy@mac.com

Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

Six or seven lenses released per year last couple years, and their chart showing 2024 and 2025 appeared to set the columns at a constant growth rate; so that checks.
  7. tiggy@mac.com

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

If a stacked sensor delivers less rolling shutter, then that I can put in the + column. Ditto the 60 fps burst (though would like to see that coupled with a larger buffer). Outside of that, there's not much on offer to suggest much design love going to the R5 series after half a decade. There...
  8. tiggy@mac.com

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

This is, of course, referring to the CEO's claim of coming lenses in a shareholder update from many months back. It seemed ludicrous at the time, and has proven to have no apparent bearing on actual release cadence. If I recall, at the time, the language he used spoke generally of lenses...
  9. tiggy@mac.com

Canon Executive interview at CP+ 2024

I think that wasn't the Canon executive; but rather a large language model. Gotta love Japanese executive speak. Sigma's CEO seems to be the only one who talks straight, though he's pretty mum, perhaps because of those ongoing discussions. In terms of lines that Canon doesn't intend to fill...
  10. tiggy@mac.com

Canon lays off at least 60 at Virginia, USA facility

That certainly should have gone at least to an EF 600 III to save you the extra couple pounds, Neuro. College educations pffft. I do think that the international nature of this forum makes some of the comments land differently to different people. Most times in the US, people reaching...
  11. tiggy@mac.com

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Ooh, just thought of something else: if a subscription scheme wound up being a finance plan of sorts, then it may have an interesting effect in having more users of other mounts test out Canon. Likewise, it would make it easier for Canon users to justify testing out another mount, as their sunk...
  12. tiggy@mac.com

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

LOL... I think they used the language "completely new" over and over again in that 2-3 year period where they ran with the same 18mp sensor, just changing the microlenses. I always thought that would eventually get them in trouble with the FTC on a claims issue if some user decided to get...
  13. tiggy@mac.com

The Mirrorless Data is Clear: Canon is #1

I'm interested to see how many pros wind up shifting over time to Nikon for supertelephoto work. The price difference between Nikon vs Canon lenses (and the telecoverterization of the new Canon models) may or may not have a positive impact for Nikon. The high megapixel flagship also could help...
  14. tiggy@mac.com

Summary of my RF 200-800mm testing

Thanks, Alan! Great data. My wife got this lens for Christmas, and she loves it. She was shooting the 100-500 before that and finds this head-and-shoulders above that for her (mostly reach-limited) work. She was always jealous of me shooting my 600mm f/4 at 5.6 with the teleconverter, giving...
  15. tiggy@mac.com

RF 10-20 came in: very impressed

Got my 10-20 yesterday in the mail. Boy, this is a fun lens. Build is great. AF is snappy. Tracking works as well as any other RF lens, but for expected issues when super-wide focal lengths lead to the eye being too small in the frame. I'm so used to lenses being faster, I need to adjust to...
  16. tiggy@mac.com

Laowa FFII 10mm F2.8 coming soon

If the overlay of the lens image and the lens elements plan is close to accurate, it's a strangely-wide lens form factor. The barrel appears to be roughly 3x the girth of the widest lens element. Perhaps that lens element illustration is "exploded" for clarity?
  17. tiggy@mac.com

SIGMA RF mount lens information finally coming in February 2024? [CR1]

I have an itchy buy finger poised over future purchase button for these lenses in RF: 1) 35mm f/1.2 (used to own in Sony mount, and miss it) 2) 105mm f/1.4 I have 6 or seven EF mount Art lenses already, and they're great with a converter, so I feel no need to swap them for RF equivalents. I...
  18. tiggy@mac.com

Quad Pixel Autofocus is ready for production [CR1]

1 guy's answer: A - For people who are already super happy with the R3, 24 MP is indeed sufficient B - For many people who held off buying the R3 (or returned it, as I did), it is not C - Many anticipate that this os one reason why the R1 will have higher resolution, as it would make total sense...
  19. tiggy@mac.com

High-resolution EOS R Camera, Where are you?

Canon is one of the few companies with its own sensor and processor fabs. They even have an alternative tech supposedly coming that'll allow for producing the very fastest chips (3nm) without using the very difficult form of lithography currently employed. This would appear to push Canon to go...
  20. tiggy@mac.com

Canon will bring an RF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM to the lineup in 2024

There is some hope in the DO line. I've been disappointed that Canon's RF big whites have proven to be the same designs as the last iterations of the EF 400 f/2.8 and 600 f/4, and that the other focal length variants proved to be internally teleconverted versions of the same lenses. (Not that...