Search results

1. D

Cheap underwater flash

The Sea&Sea is a nice little strobe - The targetting light's a bit useless though. I've combined it with a slightly smaller Epoque as fill with some success. I've just bought a couple of LED video lights for an upcoming trip - these things nearly burnt the retinas off my eyeballs!
  2. D

Should I wait for Black Friday?

Hi all. I think I might be in the market for a 6D, having recklessly and somewhat regretfully sold my 1DSIII. I'm in the UK, well, Guernsey (VAT benefits, yay!) and wondered if any of you think it's worth holding out for the end-of-November Black Friday craziness? Do you think such an item will...
  3. D

Advice for re-investing please?

Thanks again for all your replies. I was about to click the buy-button on a Fuji setup but bailed in favour of a suite of Sigma Art lenses to use on the EOS M. The lenses seem to be some of the best available and I'm crossing my fingers that the M's sensor is going to be good enough to hold up...
  4. D

Thanks everyone, some good advice here. Where mirrorless is concerned, it definitely seems we're in a transitional phase somewhere between the good and the sublime. As such, I suppose I should be weighting my thoughts on which system has the most promising lens mount. Larger sensors are also on...
  5. D

Hello, I recently sold off all of my Canon gear - a range of L lenses and a 1DS III. Please don't berate me for this! The plan was to sit on the cash and invest in something small for travelling early next year. However it's now occurred to me that my travels can be delayed but I would need to...
  6. D

Photographer's Block

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21230.0
  7. D

Photographer's Block

I feel your pain! I had/have the same sort of problem and posted here about it a little while back. I received some very useful responses on that thread - click on my username and I think you'll be able to find it.
  8. D

1Ds mark III sensor has hundreds of dead/hot pixels.

Mine has always produced a good handful of red or other-coloured pixels on long exposures. The longer exposure, the more (at least obvious) coloured pixels are produced. I have no problem in healing them out, but I'm not sure if I'd be so pleased with 900-odd. Shorter exposures in the...
  9. D

Tripod center column - yes or no

In my not-inconsiderable experience, vibration and movement is just as likely from other areas. All depends what legs you decide upon but my latest, a chunky Induro, when the centre column (I use the short) is not extended and locked-down, there's no perceptible movement at all. However, I...
  10. D

Quality lens system for lightweight travel

Some great responses here, thank you - I love the help and support on this forum! My requirements probably extend further than I initially wrote, but they are secondary to the size/IQ priority (ie: I'll need something to take underwater and probably need 1080-60p too!). Landscape has always...
  11. D

Thanks for your very helpful response. I forgot to mention that I also have an EOS M collection and while I haven't run any side-by-side tests, I've been assuming that the optical quality on the M system is significantly inferior to L glass. While I've been happy to run around with the M on...
  12. D

Hi all, I'm expecting to emigrate in the near future with the intention of owning not-much more than would fit in a rucksack. This of course would necessitate the sale and replacement of much of my photography gear - I've got chunky stuff - 1DSIII and a range of 'L' lenses. I can see that going...
  13. D

Which A3 photo printer? (Advice please)

I have an old Epson R1800 which has never given me a good clean print. it seems that if you're not banging out prints on a regular basis, the pigment inks dry, clog and render the head permanently damaged. I've found canon equivalents far less troublesome and the inks don't seem to punish you if...
  14. D

Help, I've lost my mojo!

there have been some absolutely awesome replies here, practical suggestions and moral support. Thank you all for taking the time to offer your thoughts, I appreciate it greatly. I need to go back and re-read what you've all said to ensure I've not missed anything. I notice this thread has made...
  15. D

Help, I've lost my mojo!

Thanks for your replies everybody; some useful tips there. My concern is that this seems to be a very prolonged 'writer's block'. Perhaps focussing on another genre is a good idea - macro has been mentioned a couple of times and I've got the gear. jdramirez - I like your sentiment (and the...
  16. D

Help, I've lost my mojo!

Hi all. I'm ashamed to be mentioning this but I really need some helpful advice please... I've considered myself a decent landscape photographer for many years, the subject has always excited me and I've always been able to pull a good shot out of the bag even when scenery and conditions don't...
  17. D

The best tripod ...

I've been through quite a few in my time and it really depends on your requirements. My main requirement is a stable base for fairly heavy landscape gear on uneven surfaces and often in wind. Not long ago I moved to a Redsnapper which was light but had slightly too much flex for my liking. There...
  18. D

Review: Sony A7R With Canon Glass

You kinda answered your own question there. My landscape work often receives the restrained blending/HDR treatment but, being primarily coastal and windy, the less I need to use extra exposures, the better. cloud and water movement, as well as any loose objects in the scene can cause all sorts...
  19. D

Interesting, thanks very much for your replies. Heh, I always manage to find people who's opinions encourage me to spend more money! ;D
  20. D

Thanks Rienzphotoz, Yes, I would be shooting 90% landscape and would anticipate solely using my existing lenses via an adapter, particularly the tilt/shift. I fear perhaps your right - There's a lot of sense in keeping the 1DS III and saving the money for something else in addition, rather...