Search results

1. J

Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Judging by the success of Nikon's retro ZF, I can see Canon going down this route rather than the 'Leica purist' route. In other words, a modern 24MP mirrorless with video, the latest AF modes and a flippy selfie screen all wrapped up in a retro style body with shutter and ISO dials and maybe a...
  2. J

Cosina officially announces the Voigtlander NOKTON RF 75mm f/1.5

Cosina Voigtlander are known for producing retro inspired manual lenses and don't make autofocus lenses. They have a great lineup for Leica M and a decent lineup for Sony E (plus other mounts) and have been recently porting over lenses to both RF and Z mount.
  3. J

Leaked: Full review of the Sony A7 IV goes live prematurely

It’s the base model Alpha camera (at least it used to be). Of course people want it to contain features from the A7SIII and A1 so they can save a fair amount of money but that will never happen. I also think it’s impossible for camera companies to produce ‘wow’ cameras every time. Sony’s A7III...
  4. J

Here’s a full list of what will be announced with the Canon EOS R3 this month

That’s not a reasonable excuse, if true though. When every other major lens maker offers a lens hood with their lenses, and yes, lens hoods are used by photographers all the time, it just makes Canon look like penny pinchers.
  5. J

Here’s a full list of what will be announced with the Canon EOS R3 this month

Every other major lens maker includes a lens hood with their lenses. Why are Canon such misers with their non-L lenses and still are selling them as overpriced extras??
  6. J

Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

It does beg the question who are Canon targeting this camera at? Clearly the R1 is nowhere near ready for release yet so Canon have gone with the R3 rather than get left behind by the competition. I very much doubt it’s targeted at rich consumers because across social media and regardless of...
  7. J

After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

If Canon have a high enough MP camera, the other solution would be to use its crop mode when needing extra reach. I could see this being the better solution to having separate cameras for crop and FF.
  8. J

Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

Of course anyone can use a $599 camera but i’m talking about getting professional quality video, not a camera for an amateur YouTuber. This is for dedicated videographers looking to get paid work. The specs that have just been leaked suggest it has 4K 120fps and a cooling system for unlimited 4K...
  9. J

Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

Sure there is. Firstly you have dedicated videographers who don’t have the budget for cine cameras and other high end industry equipment. They likely want to have smaller, more affordable video cameras (owning more than one for multi cam and or as a backup) for their small video business...
  10. J

The next major firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 will come in Q1 of 2021 [CR2]

Except they don’t. V3 Alpha cameras don’t show any green tint, maybe earlier models did? White balance also has a useful colour grid to further edit the colours plus shooting with RAW on any camera you can edit the colours in post to your liking.
  11. J

Industry News: Sony officially announces the Alpha A7s III

And $3899 for a stills camera with some limited video capability is a good price? Your argument doesn’t add up. The R5 and A7SIII are very expensive and there are cheaper alternatives if you can live with the specs for your needs. You also sound a little rattled by the A7SIII release, trying to...
  12. J

Meike announces a 50mm f/1.2 lens for the RF mount

Considering this lens is soft wide open (of course it’s no Canon 50mm f1.2 L RF) for the size and weight (plus the lack of EXIF data, lens hood and likely de-clicked aperture) I’d much rather have a smaller and lighter lens. Bigger, heavier lenses should have better optics or what’s the point.
  13. J

Industry News: Sony Alpha a7S III coming July 28, 2020

If the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first then why did Canon heavily promote the video specs and why did they include 8K (that no one really needs) that has meant very significant recording restrictions due to overheating/cooling off time, especially with 4K?
  14. J

Yep, exactly that clickbait nonsense right here.
  15. J

Gosh the Sony hating fanboys on here. Just as bad as the Canon hating fanboys on SAR. Can’t you lot just be happy that we consumers are about to get a bunch of new cameras without the childish antics.
  16. J

Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

I like your mature and sensible approach to the limitations. Unfortunately some people (prematurely) assumed the R5 would be unlimited recording and were talking about downsampled to 4K videos with the ability to crop/pan/zoom. It’s worth remembering high end hybrid stills/video cameras aren’t...
  17. J

Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Well, the limitations were bound to come out at some point. The info on that video about record time limitations is quite significant. Naughty Canon getting everyone’s hopes up for a flawless 8K/4K 120p camera.
  18. J

8K recording options for the Canon EOS R5 leak

Can’t you just enjoy this camera when it arrives without the juvenile ‘Sony killer’ rhetoric? Competition benefits us all at the end of the day.
  19. J

Here is the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6, along with the announcement date

Good job you’re not a desperate gearhead who can afford to wait to buy it at a reasonable price ;);)
  20. J

These are a few of the RF lenses coming in 2021 [CR2]

I once had a Sigma 24mm f1.8 macro and the macro (not true 1:1) was next to useless imo. The field of view close up was too distorted and when trying to take photos of flowers, for example, because I had to stand so close, there would always be unwanted shadows in the shot. Macro should really...