Search results

1. Antono Refa

Opinion: Canon’s mounting woes

With Canon being a known charity, and all that? Not even on a quadruple dog dare. ;-p
  2. Antono Refa

Richard wrote about Canon might having reasons against having unlicensed third-party lenses with the RF mount, so I covered that base. And, from memory (might be wrong), there was a problem with * Canon upgrading camera firmware, something about command codes' LSB no longer meaningless. * Some...
  3. Antono Refa

I apologize for not being clearer. I refer to Apple's policy regarding the early Macs, back in the late eighties early nighties.
  4. Antono Refa

To play Canon's advocate: * Making the specs open would cost Canon money in salaries to engineers and technical writers to create documentation third party manufacturers, and support people to help them figure out why the lens doesn't work properly, etc. * Canon would probably lose sales to...
  5. Antono Refa

The Apple II series was open. Everyone could make cards for those, and people opened their Apple IIs and installed whatever HW they bought. Then the policy changed with the Mac. If a customer opened it to add RAM, the warranty was voided. Which is why I bought PCs with Windows. Sure, if I broke...
  6. Antono Refa

Firmware version 1.8.2 appearing on serviced EOS R5 cameras

IIRC, such behavior was reported on this site in the past. Canon has made silent changes to lenses, but I doubt it. A camera sells for a shorter time, and has more firmware. If the firmware has to take the different IC into account, any future firmware release would require Canon to at least...
  7. Antono Refa

Western Digital releases firmware to address SanDisk drive failure and data loss

Had three SanDisk thumb drives fail (one out of the packaging), so I'm buying other brands', mostly Corsair. Now this? Maybe I should stop buying their SSD portable drives as well.
  8. Antono Refa

Multiple RAW image resolutions coming to the Canon EOS R5 Mark II?

Look at it another way: lower resolutions would not prevent you from shooting full resolution. It would get more out of the camera's buffer and memory cards, which some photographers would consider not a gimmick. Canon would rather not lose opportunities to sell more expensive cameras, with...
  9. Antono Refa

Canon EOS R5 Mark II going to 60mp? [CR1]

Canon allows taking photos at lower resolutions, both video and stills. How is that pixel control? How is that pixel control? And just for fun - how are you going to record 8k/240 video?
  10. Antono Refa

Canon EOS R5 Mark II going to 60mp? [CR1]

People were wrong then, so they must be wrong forever? Oh, please. There are photographers who need 60MP and more, which is why there are 100MP medium cameras out there. They are a niche in a shrinking market. Canon made 120MP and 250MP APS-H sensors years ago. There's no technological...
  11. Antono Refa

Canon has patented an optical formula for an RF 200mm f/2L IS USM

Amazon claim they have one in stock.
  12. Antono Refa

An RF Zoom fisheye is coming [CR2]

I'm a little conflicted here. If its the same optics with extended barrel and RF electronics, I don't see a benefit over using the EF lens with barrel-extending adapter, or drop-in filter adapter. On the other hand, I think its too niche to justify new optics.
  13. Antono Refa

New type of teleconverter coming from Canon alongside a Supertelephoto zoom

I love ultra wide, and will spend good money on a 0mm lens. Which will be never, but one can dream.
  14. Antono Refa

Canon and Amazon Filed a Joint Trademark Infringement Lawsuit

If Amazon thought this is not a real problem, they wouldn't have paid their lawyers to join Canon in the lawsuit.
  15. Antono Refa

How long is Canon going to support your camera?

To support a camera, Canon needs parts. CFast didn't catch, so Canon might have a hard time outsourcing memory slots. Canon seems to be settling on 24MP sensors, e.g. R3 and R6mkII, so it might be easier to keep on manufacturing the 80D's 24MP sensor than the 1DX II's 20.1MP sensor. My guess is...
  16. Antono Refa

Can anyone share experience re Silicon Power memory cards?

I wouldn't be asking if I didn't care about reliability. Reminds me I compared prices in a photo shop, and was impressed by how cheap one of the products was. He said he can sell me a sack of potatoes for an even lower price. I appreciate his honesty, but when the shop closed, he was the only...
  17. Antono Refa

Can anyone share experience re Silicon Power memory cards?

I'm unfamiliar with the brand, there aren't a lot of reviews (and what there is, doesn't make it easier for me), and the price seems a little too good. Background: I shoot stills and a bit of FHD video, so I prioritize price over speed.
  18. Antono Refa

Are 400mp stills coming to the Canon EOS R5?

Yep. Computers are going to have more resources than cameras (computing power, RAM, power from wall vs battery), which means at any given time, software like DeepPrime can do better than cameras.
  19. Antono Refa

Art photography would be a market. My sister is a painter. Every so often, she has a pro photographer shoot her paintings. Static flat object, tripod, controlled lighting, and the time it takes the camera to take the extra photos is negligible. If the firmware would allow moving the sensor to...
  20. Antono Refa

And to one in how many buyers does 8K video appeal? Seems to me Canon added 8K video to the R5 as testing ground, and to get video editing software developers going, for when it releases a pro cinema camera with 8K video. For that Canon would need a new sensor, in contrast to a firmware upgrade.