Search results

1. martti

Sony A7III and the Tamron 28-75

My first-hand experience is that the picture quality is indistinguishable from the Canon 5D4 and the 24-70 L. There is a lot more that can be dug out of the shadows in the Sony RAWs. The eye focus is magical when it works. You can charge it through the USB port. It actually sends pictures to Mac...
  2. martti

Ava in available light.

My granddaughter Ava is pretty, gifted, verbal and what's best...she's NORWEGIAN!
  3. martti

How "Pro" are iPad Pro and Affinity together?

There has been a lot of (sales promoting) talk about how the Ipad Pro -line is so magically powerful that you can leave your laptop home and do your on the road –processing with your new 12-inch iPad Pro and the ground-breaking new workhorse, Affinity Photo. I would really like to leave the...
  4. martti

Tethered WiFi on the EOS80D -how do YOU do it?

hello. From a couple of years back I have the TP-link modem zapped to co-operate with the DSLR Controller app that is on my old Samsung slate. It works on the 5D3 and the 80D as it should. It is a battery hog so an external power pack is a good idea. Now with the EOS80D I thought I could skip...
  5. martti

who actually needs new bodies?

Well I fell in the ocean waves with my 5DIII and the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8. I consider them lost. Then what happened I read Ken Rockwell's thing about "how to win on eBay" and what do you know, I won the EF 24-70 f/2.8 II at 1300 dollars. I congratulated myself until I realized that the way they...
  6. martti

bodycount...

Now with my beloved EOS 5D3 having apoplexia after salt water immersion in the Indian Ocean the question of a replacement bod has arisen. I still have my Sony A6000 and I am learning it. Also, the 35mm f/1.8 lens brings up the edge that was not visible while I was only shooling with the Zony...
  7. martti

Canon or Sony...a silly question

Basically I already wrote this post once and as I did it the answer became clear. But because I have an afternoon off and nothing urgent to do, I try to reproduce my line of thought here. Now, I live on a tropical island which is very fine but it shuts you off mentally unless you get out every...
  8. martti

Sony A6000 bricked

I downloaded the upgrader from Sony US site. Followed the instructions closely. Three times I tried, three times I failed. My A6000 is a brick now. Not the first time I was very close to throwing this silly camera on the wall. But is there a way to make it a camera again? Can I bring it back...
  9. martti

Russkiy ob'yektiv kamery...who knows Jupiter3 ?

Hello, A friend of mine is in love with all kinds of exotic lenses from faraway countries and from yesteryear. He was very proud presenting me a picture he had taken with his Sony A6000 using an off-center Jupiter 50mm lens. While it is true that the girl was (still is) pretty, I really had a...
  10. martti

Wide for Canon FF, Tokina 17mm f/3.5, anyone?

I gave my Rokinon 14mm to my son to take pictures of the northern skies. So I got an excuse to get something to replace it. I do not want to spend a lot so I left the Canon zoom out of the consideration as well as the 14mm EF. From a couple of old reviews I learned that this particular lens is...
  11. martti

Lion lense

Stupid me, took the Tamron lens to Africa without actually getting acquainted with it first. First, it zooms the wrong way. Not like Canons do. Second, it is quite long and heavy and does not fit in my regular camera cases. Third, the animals get worried when this thing is pointed at them and...
  12. martti

pretty little birds, what setup?

There are lots of shy little birds in the nearby swamp forest. I have been trying to get pictures of them with my 50-500 Sigma but the focus is missing systematically. I've tried various configurations of the AF AI-Servo and Single shot, various configurations of one spot and clusters. The...
  13. martti

Lyn photo software, light and cheap but...

Now that I got the Affinity Photo as Adobe refused to supply me with the Photoshop, I started looking for an easier way to browse, organize and rate my photos. A little googling brought up 'Lyn' which had very positive reviews and a pricetag of 19.20 euros. So I downloaded the free trial...
  14. martti

Lightroom upgrade 6.2.1 the weirdest crashes ever

The day before yesterday I loaded the latest 6.2.1 upgrade for my LR 6 (single shot, no CC coverage here) on my mid-2010 iMac with 1 tera SSD and 12 GB of RAM. It did behave strangely, the Mac restarted a couple of times and wasn't quite sure how to boot. Then it finally did. But the LR6 did not...
  15. martti

Affinity photo is a nice deal

First, I am not a fanboy nor a disser. For many years I have been using Adobe Photoshot, PageMaker and Lightroom ever since it came out of the beta phase. yes, I have enjoyed Photoshopping my pictures, taking whrinkles out of people's face, correcting this and that. Ligghtroom changed it all, it...
  16. martti

Calibration software?

What is the current situation with lens calibration software for Canon and Mac? Yesterday I tried to google the subject and got lost in Reikin's very verbal website. Finally, I could not figure out if the version 2.0 is available for Mac or not. Is there anybody here who would be using this sw...
  17. martti

Wind is turning?

Looking at the local 'Leboncoin' buy and sell site it is striking to see that just some five months ago people were bidding their EOS FF bodies for exchange against the Sony 7 and even the Fuji XT cameras. Now there are multiple Sony 7 bodies for sale with Canon adapters. Love is eternal but...
  18. martti

My MacBook Air is from 2010....

This is true. My dearest gadget is five years old. I got it when my MBookPro would not upgrade its OS any further and got stuck with the LR3. Or something like that, don't remember exactly. I tried iPad which was a miserable failure at the time for my purposes. Now I get a lot of beach ball...
  19. martti

A stupid question on DSLR viewfinder

The theme for my morning walk was DOF and bokeh. I was armed with my dear 5D III and my favorite lense the 35mm f/1.4 L. To my surprise, the pictures that I took with the lense full open, seemed to show much less DOF than the image I saw in the viewfinder. I repeated the test a couple of times...
  20. martti

XIOMI 10400, Power in the pocket.

Hello. I got the Xiomi 10400 external power source directly from China -sent to me without postal charges. I have an HTC cell phone where you cannot change batteries so you have to pay attention that you leave the house in full charge. And of course the a6000 runs dry in just a couple of hours...