Search results

1. W

Canon will release the EOS Ra astrophotography camera

Here’s what I’m thinking of. These aren’t conventional camera bodies (they don’t have viewfinders, etc.), but they have cooled chips for long exposures and other capabilities for deep-sky astrophotography. Cameras like these didn’t exist when the D60a was introduced, so I’m just saying that...
  2. W

Canon will release the EOS Ra astrophotography camera

We had some discussion about this a few weeks ago, as I recall, but the question lingers - in the current world of inexpensive dedicated astrophotography cameras, why introduce a product like this?
  3. W

Is a dedicated astrophotography EOS R coming in 2019? [CR1]

For the record, some of these cameras are Bayer-matrix color. In fact, I’ve got one (a ZWO ASI071) that uses the same sensor as the Nikon D700 but has a Peltier cooler on the back. One of the other posters made a good comment - the real investment is in the mount, even more than the telescope.
  4. W

To put this in perspective, it’s not uncommon for a dedicated astrophotography camera to include an APS-C sensor, cooled, for about $1K.
  5. W

There’s a good-sized class of astrophotographers who feel that “If you can see the ground, it’s not an astrophotograph.” Their targets are deep sky objects - galaxies, nebulae, etc. They use dedicated cameras, not usable for terrestrial photography, but which have the crucial characteristic of a...
  6. W

AI Servo AF Versus One-Shot AF For Stationary Subjects

FWIW - I use BBF and have assigned the DOF preview button to switch between AI Servo and AI One Shot. Then I can use BBF AI Servo and, while holding the back button, momentarily switch to AI One Shot to lock focus by pressing the DOF button. This works on the 5D Mk III and 7D, I know.