Search results

1. A

Aging eyes with the 5D Mark iii and Canon EOS R/RP questions

I recommend getting an examination from a good ophthalmologist. There is no reason that age, per se, should lead to poor vision. Some things can’t be fixed, but some can. I am over 70 and have had cataract surgery and I get eye injections for wet AMD. My vision is 20/20. There are eye disorders...
  2. A

Lens recommendations for EU trip

Take the 16-35F4 IS. You need wide in Italy, especially in Rome. The only other lens I would want is a fast, normal or wide prime for very low light photos. The 16-35 with IS should do it for you most of the time, but you may want to take shots of people in very low light, like at night. I like...
  3. A

Still worth buying a T7i/77D this summer?

I have a 6D and a couple of older Canon crop cameras. I wanted to upgrade the T2i and the 77D makes for a small and sharp travel camera. I bought the 77D a month ago. The image quality is better than the older crop cameras, and the features are better than on the T2i. It makes me want to sell...
  4. A

Canon 70D vs Canon 77D vs Canon 80D vs 5D Mk II vs ... - need advice

I have the T2i and the new 77D. The 77D gives sharper images with the same lenses, so far as I can tell. It probably gets you an extra stop in low light, but I would hesitate to go beyond ISO 3200 with this camera. You start to lose details as the ISO goes up. If you really want excellent high...
  5. A

Sigma 70 Art

This is one of my favorite lenses. I find it easier to get sharp photos than with the longer 100 mm macro lenses, and it is very sharp with good color. AF is accurate, but not as fast as Canon USM.
  6. A

LensTip Review: Sigma 70mm Art Macro

That is exactly why I got the lens. Sometimes a 100 mm lens is too long, even on full frame, and a 50 is too short. I think that 50 mm makes for a better general purpose focal length and is great for copy work, but 70 mm has advantages on full frame for some macro uses. The review on Lens...
  7. A

AF speed is fine for candid portraits. I used it extensively. It isn't as fast as a Canon 35F2IS, but it works. I have used slower macro lenses for this purpose. The lens is very sharp and color is good. I am happy, so far, with my purchase. I haven't tried it out much at the gardens, but that...
  8. A

I hardly need another macro lens, but I just ordered this one. AF speed is fine with the limiter, and this is not really a bug lens. I would want a longer focal length for that. Other than AF, the lens should be fine for flowers and other uses. My hope is that it is sharper than the Sigma...
  9. A

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Macro Art Preorders Start On May 11

I am really interested n this lens, but want to see more user and other reviews. How is the AF? I have the Sigma 50 macro, but may want this one as well if it is impressively sharp.
  10. A

Sigma Announces Pricing & Availability for Its 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO Art Lens

I am waiting for reviews. Whether or not I would be interested depends on how sharp the lens is, color, and AF. I already have the Sigma 50 F2.8 macro lens, and while a nice lens, it needs to be stopped down quite a bit to really do well. I would have like IS and the equivalent of USM, but I am...
  11. A

35 L vs. 35 L II

You need faster shutter speeds and more depth of field when trying to capture moving kids. I like my Canon 35F2IS for this purpose, as the AF is very fast, and I need F2 or smaller apertures for depth of field with moving kids. My taste (and wallet) are not unlimited. I usually try to shoot at...
  12. A

Full body portraits on the street - 50mm f/1.2L or 85mm f/1.4L IS

It really depends on how much room you have. If the streets are narrow and distances are short, a 35 or 50 makes more sense. An 85 can be too long in tight spots, but can work in larger spaces. There is no simple answer, but I would be inclines to go with a 50, rather than 85. Will you be...
  13. A

Advice for shooting small kids in front of a Christmas tree

I usually look to natural or existing light and my 35F2 IS for this sort of shot, but I have used the 50 F1.4 at F2. For flash, if you have white walls, you can direct the flash behind you or almost straight up, use manual exposure, and test out a few shots. I would start with 1/200 (or 1/160)...
  14. A

Shutter speed rule when shooting handheld

A long and heavy lens might need higher shutter speeds, but this also depends on the person. If you are photographing action, 1/500 may not do it for you on a 135, and smaller apertures might be needed to ensure focus. If you are photographing people in a race, 1/1000 might be a good starting...
  15. A

Used Canon 35mm 1.4, advice needed

Do you really need F1.4? If so, then look at one of the Canon lenses or perhaps the Sigma. There is a lot of copy variation in the first F1.4 version, with many people reporting they needed to stop down to F2. Also, Lens Rentals had this lens on a high problem list a number of years ago. AF...
  16. A

60mm Macro lens equivalent for Full Frame

I have the Sigma 50 F2.8 macro lens. It is a fine macro lens and goes to 1:1, but it does have a gear drive and the lens extends when close. I have not used this for video, but for general use and macro to 1:1. It is out of production right now, but they can be found in Canon mounts.
  17. A

Buying lens from Walmart

Buy from an authorized dealer. See https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers/
  18. A

Downgrade pro lenses

An option is to just pick up the 35F2 or the 35F2IS and use this focal length for most of your shooting. If you don't use the 70-200, just sell it. The 85 makes a great portrait lens, and you could use the 17-40 for travel and landscapes. The 17-40 is light and compact. There is really no need...
  19. A

Italy With the 40mm Lens

I also like the 35F2 IS for travel. I took it along with an ultrawide zoom on my last European vacation. Frankly, I would have been fine with only the 35, but there are always places where I like to have an ultrawide in Europe. The photo makes me want to go back to Italy.
  20. A

6D owners, are you upgrading?

I am happy with my 6D and see no need to upgrade. When the 6D was originally released, it was $2,000, so the new 6D II seems to be priced appropriately. This might be a good time for folks to get the 6D1 as prices are low and may go lower. I would rather spend the dough on other things...