Search results

1. digigal

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

Won't be bothering to download this update unless something useful shows up in the bug fixes. Will wait for what comes next--hopefully. Catherine
  2. digigal

Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

I think my upcoming trip to Africa will be the test. I don't think I will change anything before then. If things are going well on the trip I may cautiously change a thing or two. I can certainly live with the camera as it currently is, although it's always nice to add a little tweek here or...
  3. digigal

Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

Many here know of my previous issue of multiple lock ups and crashes on my R5 which I recently had come to associate with my extensive custom setup of the camera. Since vastly de-customizing the camera and converting it back to "normal" except for a single BBF button and remapping 2 dial...
  4. digigal

Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

I wish replacing the circuit board had solved my problem--no such luck for me. I have both the freezes described above and the lock-ups (crashes) that require removal of the battery to get the camera to function again. I will say that I went to Sonoma yesterday to photograph mustard in the...
  5. digigal

Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

OMG! All these comments about the new software fix are making me nervous. I've now got my camera so that it only freezes or crashes every 1500-2000 shots so I may wait until I get back from my next photo trip to the Yucatan to photograph flamingos next week. I'll see how things have panned...
  6. digigal

This is how you downgrade the firmware on a Canon camera

I wonder if any of these issues may be related to any customization that may have been done to the individual camera and the interaction with the software update. I was having crashes fairly regularly that would always be fixed with removing the battery and rebooting. This continued after...
  7. digigal

Are many R3's are getting out the door?

Not enough pixels for me to crop and I don't need that many frames per sec to look at! I almost never shoot the R5 at the max speed because most of the time it's just overkill and results in too much time spent trying to sort thru all the near identical pictures. The improved focus and eye...
  8. digigal

Are many R3's are getting out the door?

I was in Bosque about 3 wks ago and was standing next to a guy who was shooting with an R3. He said he'd been a tester for them and liked it a lot better than the R5 especially because of the faster start up and the longer lasting batteries.
  9. digigal

Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

With some birds and wildlife situations you want a silent shutter which only comes with the 20 fps option
  10. digigal

Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

Useful for photographing wildlife where you don't spook them with a noisey shutter but don't have to take 20 shots just to have a the noise free electronic shutter. 5-10-20 fps options would be ideal and would cover all bases. Also would be helpful for wedding photogs in a church who wanted a...
  11. digigal

Gordon Laing from CameraLabs gives his first reviews of the new Canon gear, including the EOS R3

Jeff Cable just posted his review of of his experience of using only the R3 to shoot the Olympics and how it worked: https://blog.jeffcable.com/2021/09/finally-my-real-world-review-of-new.html Definitely worth a read from a guy who has spent some real time with this camera. Catherine
  12. digigal

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

Unfortunately, I'm one of the old geezers who's still trying to do bird photography and it's getting harder and harder to handhold that heavy gear so I eagerly hope Canon will heed the pleas of the bird photographers requesting a crop R mount camera that has a fast and precise focusing system--I...
  13. digigal

Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

I can't wait to get Jeff Cable's review of his experience with shooting the Olympics with the R3. He used his R5 as well and took his 1DX III as a back-up for the two but planned to shoot the entire games with the two Canon mirrorless cameras. He's currently leading several back to back tours...
  14. digigal

A new EOS R system camera is coming in January [CR2]

Plus you have to use DPP software to process all your files o_O !
  15. digigal

So when is the Canon EOS R3 coming?

I've traveled and shot with Jeff and he has the 1DX3 as well as the R5 and R6 so he has the option of taking any of those bodies with him to the games. Canon USA has fully supported him at the games with equipment and loaners as well but Canon USA is NOT going to be there this time so don't...
  16. digigal

The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

I have very small hands so the smaller R5 form factor has been great for me BUT the teeny, tiny back buttons that I use for different back button focus options are not so great for me because I do most of my shooting in cold weather with thick gloves which means it's almost impossible for me to...
  17. digigal

Canon USA restocks their refurbished store with popular RF and EF lenses

I read somewhere that sometimes Canon will have the smaller stores agree to take an expensive lens or two in order to get a small supply of a hot camera and that's why you might find one at these small stores. Good luck-- Catherine
  18. digigal

Canon USA restocks their refurbished store with popular RF and EF lenses

I was able to locate one by calling a local high end camera store that had one in stock with a RF 1.4 TC as well and was able to order it. The store was about 20 mi from me in Berkeley, CA, and that's how I knew about the store because it had used it on occasion in the past. Unfortunately when...
  19. digigal

The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

This is a link to Jeff Cable's YouTube Zoom call about his upcoming trip to shoot the Olympics as the team photographer for the USA Olympics Team who shoots water polo. He works closely with Canon and this was released before he was under an NDA so he was able to talk about the R3 and when he...