Search results

1. B

Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

I don’t rightly know; it has been a long time since I’ve used live view on my 5D. To me the VF experience is significantly better than the rear screen experience, though, so I imagine I’d prefer doing it with my a7r iii. I very much like zoom in the EVF on the Sony body. My only complaint is...
  2. B

Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

I used an A7R ii for two years, and currently use an A7R iii and a 5D iii. Yes, unfortunately, like traditional PDAF, it often doesn’t focus where it says it will (especially when the subject is moving towards the camera). I disagree. You can see your composition and depth of field, but you...
  3. B

Another mention of a 70+ megapixel EOS R camera

It is worth mentioning that, in most cases, DR increases are due to slightly lower noise, not increases in well capacity. Therefore the gains are in extremely low levels. This is why people often push shadows in order to demonstrate it. Unfortunately, it’s a game of diminishing returns. I...
  4. B

Review: Canon EOS R by DPReview

I thought my post was pretty clear I’m not saying anything of the sort, I’m asking a question. It is routinely stated that on platforms like Sony’s the dual IS systems are designed to work together, and that in lens plus in body is better than in lens or in body on such platforms. The post I...
  5. B

That doesn’t tell me what IBIS adds to a lens with IS, which is the negligible improvement Talys mentioned. This would demonstrate the effectiveness of IBIS alone.
  6. B

May I ask how you quantify this? I only have one stabilized e mount lens (100-400), and I think when I disable IS either from the body or the lens, it turns off both systems, so I can’t compare on equal footing one vs the other.
  7. B

Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Not without the vertical grip.
  8. B

I have aperture on the top rear dial, shutter speed in the top front dial, and ISO on the wheel. It’s the wheel specifically which I find laggy. I often shoot flash photography without modeling lamps, and find the camera struggles much more so than my 5Diii. It’s much better than the 7rii...
  9. B

I use a 7rIII. Flaws include, but are not limited to: *It’s too short by about 1/2” *The controls, while immeasurably better than the previous generation, are laggy (trying to quickly dial a different aperture/shutterspeed/ISO is frustrating compared to the experience with canon cameras...
  10. B

long exposure effects on sensors

Heat associated with image degradation is almost certainly less than heat associated with equipment damage (beyond maximum junction temperature). Quite likely in a long exposure, similar to a video capture, the sensor reaches a steady state temperature. It doesn’t run away with an ever...
  11. B

Canon Will Announce Their First Full Frame Mirrorless in 2018 [CR3]

I use both monolights with modeling lamps, and speedlights.With monos, I tend to shoot mirrorless. With speed lights, I use SLR. Although my mirrorless camera has a mode to turn off exposure preview (which it perplexingly calls “settings effect”), it is only grossly emulating an optical...
  12. B

Here you’re moving the goal posts. Nowhere in the original chain did a moving subject arise, nor did the lack of IBIS. That was a caveat you later added. I have no idea, whatever the camera does. Maybe it was only 6, fine, makes little difference. If you’re concerned with 10X the FOV of 50mm...
  13. B

I agree with 3kram5d. With image stabilization, focus magnification is a wonderful feature. Here is a quick example. I am hanging the camera from a strap, balancing it on my stomach (since I lack sufficient hands to record myself shooting normally), not holding my breath, defocusing, and then...
  14. B

Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Speak of the devil Some flavor of iPhone - I don’t remember what I had at the time
  15. B

The EOS 80D Replacement to be a Big Leap Forward [CR2]

Apples to apples comparisons are pretty hard to find. I’ll take your word that there isn’t cost savings to be had with long lenses covering a smaller format, but ask: why do not the cost savings from short lenses translate? Is it simply a competition issue (ie there aren’t many long crop lenses)?
  16. B

Agreed. I use a 3.6amp wall socket to charge my A7Riii (two batteries) over USB-C. It’s quite quick, faster than the wall adapter in fact, and since the batteries don’t come out there’s no chance I’ll leave them behind.
  17. B

I’m not concerned with size. I’m concerned with function. My 100-400 with 2X is essentially useless for moving subjects. Lenses covering smaller formats are typically less expensive.
  18. B

Well so far such a lens doesn’t exist so it’s just a hypothetical :D
  19. B

But see how I defined compelling: 800mm with useful autofocus and without a 15,000 dollar expense. That’s conceivable with a high quality crop lens. It’s extremely unlikely with a high quality full frame lens. Incidentally, does it actually crop the raw, or does it just add a tag to crop in post?
  20. B

Something like 200-800 with f/6.3 or f/8 at the long end would be interesting. I’m fully aware that I’ll likely not go beyond 800mm; I’m not paying 15,000 for a lens. With a smaller image circle, keeping that aperture isn’t a huge stretch, and thus autofocus wouldn’t suffer like with f/11 on...