Search results

1. T

DXO gives the A7R3 a 100

Sure, the DSLRs you mention have face detect, but their effectiveness in use is not competitive with the likes of the A7R III or A9. These latest Sony cameras have stunning face detect and eye detect that works to such a standard that it transforms how many people use the cameras with moving...
  2. T

Lens Rentals have posted a Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS comparison

It looks like one of the best lens releases by Canon in a long time. Great spec, features, an intelligent balance of image qualities and ... unusually for Canon these days, a not unreasonable price. I have the 85 f1.2 L II but would still consider this were I still investing in Canon gear. I...
  3. T

5d4 soft images/af issue

Sometimes these things are a total mystery. I had one with Eos 3 film bodies and the 85mm f1.8 EF. Neither of the two bodies I had in Afghanistan would focus accurately with either 85mm f1.8 I bought. I tried one lens, got a replacement and it was the same. What's odd is that focus was perfect...
  4. T

Have most now forsaken the 5dMk3 and jumped on to the Mk4?

There seems to be a pattern here: the IV may be improved, but people a large number of users are very reluctant to upgrade with the Mk IV costing what it does (at the moment). I suspect I will pick up a Mk IV, keep my III and sell my II. At a later date I may replace the III with another IV, but...
  5. T

Anyone Replacing their Canon 85 1.8 with the Tamron?

It seems likely that Canon will replace the venerable 85 f1.8 soon, so there may be an up to date native version to compete with the Tamron. The Tamron looks interesting, but I admire other people's tolerance of AF issues with non-native lenses. It's not something I would want to do. That said...
  6. T

5d4 soft images/af issue

This is very strange indeed. Do you see the same when shooting normal scenes at normal distance in brighter outdoor light (i.e. higher shutter speeds)? It might otherwise sound like a vibration issue, with the use of regular AF and a moving first curtain causing vibration, but seeing as the new...
  7. T

List of rumored lenses

At least with my copy, wide open sharpness with the 50mm L is excellent and more than good enough for demanding use in fashion, lifestyle, weddings etc. There is some variation there, for sure, but I was quite surprised how sharp my lens is wide open. I was expecting worse. Likewise, my 85 1.2...
  8. T

5d4 soft images/af issue

Did you do AF Micro Adjust? Sounds to me like its almost certain that you just needed to do some adjustment for the lenses you own so everything is pixel perfect when using regular AF and not the live view. This is entirely normal.
  9. T

Why 5D IV over 5DsR? Not for image quality

The 5D IV has about 3/4 of a stop of extra DR at 400 and beyond. Its not game changing, but for wedding shooters and photojournalists its something that is certainly nice to have. It seems only the A7R II is better in this regard.
  10. T

Canon 5D Mark IV vs Sony A7R II interesting review.

I can understand why anyone would not like the Sony A7 series cameras, however, colour is subjective and I may like Canon SOOC colour better, but I find Sony more natural looking. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. As for high ISO performance, when normalised to an equivalent...
  11. T

I think it shows that if you work within the parameters of the example in your real photography, the 5DSR is sharper and has less noise, yes. However, what it does not show is the other features that may be helpful to a 5D IV shooter (depending on application of course), such as frame rate etc...
  12. T

How many people think that their 5D Mark IV images are soft?

Hi, it sounds like the camera was either at one extreme of tolerances (and would probably have required a significant AFMA correction on almost all lenses, or was completely out of tolerance (and therefore not correctable using the AFMA system). In simple terms, this would mean the sensor and AF...
  13. T

Hi, I am not sure this is too surprising based on what you are looking at. 50MP gives you a lot of leeway with noise reduction. However.... there is a lot more to 'image quality' than resolution and the ability to hold back luminance noise in the range you looked at. Colour noise, blotching...
  14. T

Absolutely. However, if people test against a planar subject then they may not see sharpness anywhere. This would be true for shooting a wall or distant landscape. Sometimes people miss that area of sharpness, because it is nowhere near where they might expect it to be. Hopefully AFMA some of...
  15. T

5DIV for £2,975.00 @HDEW

I bought my 5D III from them and I would use them again too, even tho some grey dealers are selling a bit lower. Its good to see prices coming down, because UK stock dealer prices are nuts, with most still in the £3500-3600 territory! Enjoy!
  16. T

It's amazing how respondents ask 'have you done AF Micro Adjustment (AFMA)' again and again and there is no confirmation from those with soft images. I remember a big rant ages ago from people saying the same with the 7D II and most had *not* done AFMA. Very small amounts of AFMA (+ or -) can...
  17. T

EOS 5D Mark IV - the crippled generalist

It seems The Camera Store felt very lukewarm about the 5D IV and they are in the business of selling cameras. Others have offered more praise. None seem to have raved about it. Opinions will surely remain divided and this thread is not going to change that; however, it is probably evident that...
  18. T

A New 85L is on the Way [CR2]

Why do you see it as an 'excuse', rather than an articulation of why some people prefer certain types of optics for certain applications? Perhaps this is because you assume everyone wants the sharpest possible lens with loads of contrast etc. You may - fair enough - but not everyone does...
  19. T

A New 85L is on the Way [CR2]

Its going to be interesting, but I fear the new lens will be so optically outstanding that it will make less appealing portraits than the current lens. With all manufacturers being forced to produce 'optical lasers' (because that's what the market demands), lenses that produce a more organic...
  20. T

85mm 1.2

There are some very different opinions here, but also copy variations. Here is my view and I have both lenses and have shot with four different copies of the 85 f1.8. The 85mm f1.8 is stunning value. If you have a decent copy and it is micro-adjusted fine, it is very sharp indeed from wide...