Search results

1. steepjay

The Canon EOS R8 will be announced at CP+ in February

LOL based on your list of gear, Pentax is going to be thrilled when you join the tens of people rocking their brand! Thanks for the laugh.
  2. steepjay

The Canon EOS R8 will be announced at CP+ in February

LOL I was going to suggest Phil make the jump to Pentax...
  3. steepjay

What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

I was thinking 14-28 f/2 to match it all up...
  4. steepjay

Question for landscapers

70-200 and if you don't have it already, some form of 50mm lens (in the used market, this is a very cost effective addition to the camera bag). Canon hasn't really made a bad 70-200 in my recollection, but if you're on a budget, the f4 IS model is a superb lens, and the non-IS model is...
  5. steepjay

Which laptop is best for Lightroom?

Long winded ramble: :) I run a MacBook Pro (2012 15" Retina), it's been solid and for a 5 year old machine, runs extremely well. I'm starting to sense it getting a little "long in the tooth" but I'm not at the breaking point. Just installed High Sierra fresh and it feels like a revived...
  6. steepjay

Mountains, Lakes and Rivers

Mt Blackburn, Alaska - found this old film scan the other day going back through some old library files. EOS 3, 17-40, I expect it was shot on Velvia...
  7. steepjay

1DsIII vs 5DIII + 1DIV vs 7DII (all used)

+1 more.
  8. steepjay

Old [larger sensor] cameras a cheap alternative to 80D?

I had a 20D and moved up to a 5D original and have some really great shots from it. I skipped the Mk2 and have the 5D3 now along with a 1Dmk4 and a 6D. The 1D4 is a really great camera (APS-H sensor so 1.3 crop) but for general purpose shooting, I would recommend either a 5D2 or a used 6D...
  9. steepjay

Anyone shot with a mk II A7 series camera?

As pointed out, there are a pile of reviews out there. However, I often question the validity of some reviews (i.e. fanchild influence and the associated confirmation bias, free gear in exchange for positive feedback, etc). I rented an A7Rii for a weekend with the native 16-35/4 to test it...
  10. steepjay

A Canon DSLR First Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV [CR2]

Retractable strap!
  11. steepjay

Hiking Setup and Backpacks

As has been observed, backpacking = overnight for me... I have a MacPac 65L pack that carries tent, sleeping bag, mat, stove, food, and a few other bits and pieces. I have a strong 5mm cord strung on my 6D / 16-35f4 and that hangs off my pack via a carabiner. If the weather turns bad, it goes...
  12. steepjay

Vacation, Gear, or both?

Few people have died saying "I wish I'd bought more camera gear instead of doing all those great trips!". If you have the time at your disposal and the budget room to do it, travel. Rent or borrow the piece of equipment you think you're missing. The other thing about placing travel first, you...
  13. steepjay

What I'd give up if I switched to Nikon

I've been back and forth on this a few times over the years... lol Started photography with Nikon FM manual cameras and manual lenses. Went Canon with a 20D and then a 5D. Bought a D700 solely based on the pretty great 14-24 and made the move back to Nikon. Really missed the white glass so...
  14. steepjay

What to do? Lens kit simplification and improvement

From past experience, I find the 24-70 doesn't get a lot of action with a 16-35 / 17-40 and 70-200 in the bag. I would suggest 16-35/4IS, 50/1.4, 70-200/2.8II and if you're missing a macro, pick up the 60mm. It fills out the focal length range nicely and gives you a macro. Although since you...
  15. steepjay

New York Times Exposes Peter Lik Photography Scheme

I recently walked through the Lik gallery in the Venetian and was entertained to see this writeup so recently after. The experience has a slight "timeshare sales" feel to it. As other posters have already pointed out, his work isn't amazing and it isn't bad and beauty is in the eye of the...
  16. steepjay

Gear for upcoming trip to Italy and Greece

I would echo some many of the sentiments so far, 16-35 and 70-200 got a lot of use for me. Took the 50/1.8 as well but didn't use it that much. Security can be a concern, especially in places like Rome. I was wearing an f-stop backpack, which is nice because the top load zippers are close...
  17. steepjay

I'm conflicted please help

I just had a lengthy conversation with a buddy of mine who was agonizing over 400/2.8 + TC vs 800/5.6, similar decision. The decision of reach without TC vs. the versatility of the faster, shorter, lighter lens plus TCs can be a challenge and is very personal. I used to have a 300/2.8, it's...
  18. steepjay

Upgrading lenses for college student

Nice portfolio on your website, Steven. Your lens musings on a tight budget seem pretty reasonable, the 50/1.8 is a very useful lens. If you're looking for the best image quality on a really tight budget, I would personally stick to primes for now. 24/2.8 would be in reach of your budget as...
  19. steepjay

Tony wanted to switch to Nikon but Couldn't

+1 to jrista's comment about running multiple systems... I was a Nikon guy when I started shooting SLRs in film, my first body was an FM2n. Developed a lens and body collection and then discovered the wonder of Canon white glass and AF with an EOS 3... In the world of digital, Canon had a...
  20. steepjay

travel advice - winter in Yellowstone

bfgit, thanks so much for all that awesome advice! I was planning to use Gardiner as my "base camp" and I was wondering about the effectiveness of the snow coach option. Based on your info, I think I might do one day in a snow coach to get off the road and see some different scenery and spent...