Search results

1. Q

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

The R5 is so damn good that I doubt I’d upgrade to a Mk 2 just for the r6 ii af upgrades. I understand that for some folks it’s different. So selfishly, knowing that I would skip the generation, I’d prefer it as a firmware upgrade now Do we even know if the AI hardware in the r5 can run the...
  2. Q

Is Pixel-Shift coming to the Canon EOS R5?

It depends, but usually for hardware devices such as these running microcontrollers, it's a replacement of the entire software on the device. It's common for an initial bootloader to remain untouched on separate storage to handle the flashing process. That might not be the the case here for...
  3. Q

Dragonflies and Damselflies

Been trying to decide whether to pick up a rf10-400 due to that fantastic light weight for travel, but was very confused at some examples that weren't particularly exciting, and others that quite surprised me with how good they were - I think you've answered why - close vs far, f8 vs f9 or 11...
  4. Q

Smartphone Cameras Will Be Superior to SLRs by 2024, Says Sony CEO

I imagine that at least *some* of the camera group will be working on the AI tech & imagine manipulation that makes this possible. Might also point to the direction that their future cameras will take: More imagine manipulation baked in, more AI upscaling, and so on. Also interesting that the...
  5. Q

Thoughts of R6 Owners who "upgraded" from a 5D4 (or similar DSLR, or an RP)?

I wasn't quite the same shift, but I'll give you my thoughts. I'm primarily a casual photographer that mostly does stills when travelling. Had a 5D4 (and loved it, of course!), and bought the RP when it came out to try out. I realised a year later that I hadn't picked up the 5D4 in that year -...
  6. Q

Here are a few Canon EOS R10 specifications [CR3]

Well played, sir. Well played.
  7. Q

So I had to go google what a tape diagram is. And I am left thinking "Does this actually help?" I can see how the trivial first grade examples are great at visualising (though we just used beads and small stones for that, which, I feel, was even better :D) The later examples though, look just...
  8. Q

Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

Not quite for me: The m5 was all about 'high end features/quality in a very compact body'. 7D and M5 were different cameras for a very good reason.
  9. Q

Well, since I'm in for a penny, lets go for the pound, and I'll try win on internet points, misdirection, and the best kind of correct: *Technically*, your hands holding a camera aren't points either - they're surfaces too :D So it really comes down to vectors, motion, centre of mass, and all...
  10. Q

One point of contact, and I win the internet! :D Sorry, I'm really just joking, I do happen to agree with you given the context of what you're discussing, but I couldn't resist taking this out of context. :)
  11. Q

Would you purchase another R5

I would buy it again. For me, an amateur who does mostly travel photography, the autofocus is significantly better *for me* than any canon DSLR I had (various 5D models, 6D). The R3, while it looks amazing, is just too big for my preferences. I find it really easy to use, just point and click...
  12. Q

RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM

Nice. Is this with the cameras built in corrections being applied? (Just noticed a bit more CA than I'd have expected reducing sharpness with the built in profiles and post processing black magic the camera does for this lens.)
  13. Q

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

I read it all, thank you for the answer. But next time splitting it in to paragraphs would really help making it clearer and easier for me :) It's not the length of the reply, just difficult to read the single long paragraph.
  14. Q

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

serious question here: Would one of the existing 4k camera with ibis then be better for your needs? Do you need 8k for news/motorcross?
  15. Q

Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Funny. When a canon has better video features, it's quietly ignored when people scream that it's poor value compared to an a9 :D
  16. Q

Canon aiming for a $799 full-frame camera? [CR2]

So would I... but... man, the lenses would just be so large if wouldn't compete with the M line for tiny pack portability. When I got the RP+35mm, I stopped using my M & fuji X-E3 cameras as much, But they still had a place when just wanted to slip a better-than-cellphone camera in to a jacket...
  17. Q

Those came out rather nice - what were your exposure settings?
  18. Q

As usual, for an all round 24-240 walk around lens, it seems to be punching above it's weight class. Yes, it's not as good as an EF100-400. But its a lot more versatile and light!
  19. Q

Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM to be one of the next lenses announced

This will be unpopular on this thread... But I'm probably just going to stick with the Tamron 17-35 28-4.0. It's most likely still going to be lighter, and that 2.8 on the wide end has gotten more use from me than the extra 3mm (I probably wouldn't say this if I didn't also have the older EF...
  20. Q

More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

I'm also wondering if by calling this a competitor to the Sony A1/A9 they're pulling a subtle marketing mind game on people. If the R3 is the competition, then *obviously* the 1DX is still in a different league.