Search results

1. Fr3nzy Photography

Small Lighting Setup - Does CRI Matter? (LED vs CFL)

Thanks everyone for your responses. Fluorescent tubes seem like the long-term solution, however, in the short-term the lighting setups my friend is loaning me has traditional Edison sockets - so I can either use CFLs or LED bulbs. After looking more today, it seems like I can find some CRI 90+...
  2. Fr3nzy Photography

Small Lighting Setup - Does CRI Matter? (LED vs CFL)

Hello all. I'm looking to put together a small lighting setup for some product shot-style photography as well as newborn/baby shooting. All work is personal, but will be shared so it still needs to be good (yes I know "good" is relative and grandma will always think shots of granddaughter are...
  3. Fr3nzy Photography

"Budget" Wildlife Lens Option

So, having just done some AI SERVO shooting with both combinations using my dog as the subject, I have to admit that both perform exceptionally well - at least for my needs/tastes, others who shoot wildlife more often may be more strict with their requirements. I'm convinced that I don't need...
  4. Fr3nzy Photography

After some initial testing, I'm liking the results of the 300 f/4L + 1.4 & the 200 f/2.8L + 2. From an IQ perspective, I've noticed more CAs on the 300 combo (but not when it's used without the t.c.), but only when you really get close and pixel peep. I also am not sure about the 200mm combo...
  5. Fr3nzy Photography

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice/thoughts so far. I do appreciate getting real world users' thoughts as testing and weekend rentals can only go so far. To add some clarification, weight is generally a non-issue for me. With my landscape gear, tripod, ballhead, hiking accessories, water...
  6. Fr3nzy Photography

With tax season upon us (in the U.S. at least), I'm looking to have a budget for some new photography gear. One thing I would really like to due is acquire a lens to pair with my 7D2 for wildlife shooting while I'm out hiking. My current practice is to rent the 100-400mkII when I go on a big...
  7. Fr3nzy Photography

Show your Bird Portraits

Thanks! Thankfully, photography is one of those fun learning processes.
  8. Fr3nzy Photography

Portrait of your "Best friend"

Harley was gracious enough to model for me as I tried out the new camera. This was a rare instance she wasn't trying to lick the lens! 8) IMG_0099-2 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr
  9. Fr3nzy Photography

Show your Bird Portraits

Still trying to figure out the advanced AF and extra menus of my new 7D II (my other camera is a 6D), but this is from my first walkabout with that and the 100-400 L II. (Note: Cross post of these images from the 7D II page) Mallards doing duck things: IMG_0116-2 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr Juvenile...
  10. Fr3nzy Photography

Anything Shot with a 7D MII

Just got my 7D II and I'm trying to get used to the additional functionality/menus from my 6D. Also, very much a wildlife beginner. Here is a young eagle. As soon as I pulled my the camera to photograph him perched, he took off and flew the opposite direction. IMG_0139-Edit by Fr3nzy, on...
  11. Fr3nzy Photography

Animals in Black and White

Mallard Duck. Even in Scotland they still quack in English :P IMG_8578 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr
  12. Fr3nzy Photography

Zoo Pics 3

Here are 2 from the Smithsonian Zoo in Washington D.C. The bottom picture of the otter is my favorite animal shot I've taken. IMG_3636 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr IMG_3600 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr
  13. Fr3nzy Photography

Zoo Pics 3

Here's a few from a trip to the Central Park Zoo, NYC: IMG_8396 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr IMG_8322 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr IMG_8319 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr IMG_8298 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr
  14. Fr3nzy Photography

BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Here's an oystercatcher from my recent trip to Scotland. No cropping, just some vignette to make him punch a bit more. IMG_8983 by Fr3nzy, on Flickr
  15. Fr3nzy Photography

Tripod or Monopod for Wildlife/Birding

The tripod will be with me on my trip regardless. I'm quite used to hiking with it, and I'm looking forward to the plethora of potential landscape shots. It doesn't sound like the monopod will be worth it, so I'll stick with just the tripod. 8) Any concerns with the RRS carbon fiber tripods...
  16. Fr3nzy Photography

Tripod or Monopod for Wildlife/Birding

All, I'm headed to Scotland for about 2 weeks coming up for vacation. Needless to say, I plan to do photography while I'm there. I'm primarily a landscape shooter and I have several hikes and locations scouted for plenty of that. But, as it is a vacation I also plan to do some relaxing...
  17. Fr3nzy Photography

Animals in Black and White

I don't shoot animals very often, but I do enjoy zoos. Central Park Zoo: 6D, 100L 2.8 Macro
  18. Fr3nzy Photography

County fairs, what sells?

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will sit this year out and scout things out. Likely I'll just stick to what's been working.
  19. Fr3nzy Photography

County fairs, what sells?

I'm looking to set up a vendor booth at a few local county fairs this year in an effort to expand my print sales, but I was looking for some advice from folks that do this more regularly. I've never been to the fairs in these particular counties as I'm new to the area, nor have I ever sold...
  20. Fr3nzy Photography

Manhattan Skyline & 14mm lens

Thanks mackguyver & ray5. Those were the answers I was looking for. I'm definitely planning on the dusk/sunset shots and a pano or two. I'll save renting the 14mm for a time when it might get some more use.