Search results

1. K

Triggering my 600EX-RT?

I'm using a 5DM3 and a 600EX-RT. I want to be able to wireless trigger the 600EX-RT and I am able to do so by taking the PocketWizard receiver off of my monolight and putting it on the 600EX-RT. However, I'd like a way to trigger it without having to always connect/reconnect the PocketWizard...
  2. K

Colored filters to light a background VS. different colored background?

Yes, I meant contamination from the gelled light for the background. I do not think a snoot will help. I think the issue is that my background is solid white so when I put a pinkish gel on the moonlight lighting the background it is bouncing back and partially contaminating my subject. 1...
  3. K

Metering mode with strobes?

Jim, What do you mean by: “You're correct, but this is true only for when camera doesn't control your lighting (i.e. manual strobe in a dark room, or daylight with no flash).” I am using PocketWizards to trigger my strobe but there are no control on the camera for the lights, I need to...
  4. K

1. How do you get 255 255 255 white? Is this just done by creating even lighting across the background? 2. I am working in a relatively small space and I am getting some color contamination on the sides of my subjects face/head. My subject is about 56 inches from the background, and I’m about...
  5. K

I have been doing exactly what you described in your first scenario. Though I’ve been keeping the shutter at 160 based on the max flash synch speed of my 5dm3. I didnt know that is also was based on the synch speed of the strobe... I think I just realized my confusion. I’m using a handheld...
  6. K

How do you determine the power setting for the strobe with the gel lighting the background? Is it just trial and error? I’m currently using a key light and a fill reflector at 45 degrees to the subject. I’m varying the distance of the reflector from the subject to create different lighting...
  7. K

I want to use different color backgrounds for portraits. I currently use a white background and I’m thinking of just getting some colored filters and lighting the background with it. Is there a reason to use different color backgrounds backdrops vs. using my technique for just creating a...
  8. K

I am in manual mode using a studio strobe. However, I guess I will need to know this for using a flash strobe also. Thanks.
  9. K

Sorry, I am not clear on what you meant by IIRC. I am shooting manual, using a meter, and adjusting the strength of the strobe based on my reading. Thanks.
  10. K

I'm using a strobe and a reflector to light a subject and I'm in spot metering mode. This had me wondering, is there a reason to use any of the different metering modes when using studio lighting? Thanks.
  11. K

Sandbag suggestions for a light stand?

Thanks for the replies. Do you think 10lbs will be enough to put on the light stand to make sure the stand with iPad doesnt get tipped over? OR should I conside r15lbs? Thanks.
  12. K

Anyone use a CamRanger with an iPad?

Thanks so much for the replies. I was going to pick one up used. I'm not yet ready to invest in a new body, so in the meantime I was looking into this and I also looked into the EyeFi cards, though I read that they were no longer supported and may no longer work? I would be using the CamRanger...
  13. K

Thanks for the link. I'm not clear how that works though. How does it work? Thanks.
  14. K

I want to attach an iPad to a light stand and I need a sandbag to make sure the stand doesn’t get knocked over. I have sand bags for my c stands but they seem too big and the legs of the light stand are not going to work with my current sand bags. What type of sand bag do you use with a light...
  15. K

Anyone use a CamRanger with an iPad?

I'm looking into a CamRanger to use with my 5DM3 and an iPad. I would like to use the iPad just to check focus and composition. 1. I shoot .CR2 though I guess I need to shoot RAW and .JPG if I want to use a CamRanger? 2. How long is the lag between shooting and having the .JPG appear on the...
  16. K

Soft edge to all of my photos???

I just did some tests. - The shadow appears at 1/250, much more pronounced at 1/320 - it seems to be gone at 1/200 (though I am only viewing on my viewfinder so I can't tell if there are any subtle remnant shadows there), at 1/160 it seems gone 1. Is this a universal regardless of camera...
  17. K

Tethering speeds

I'm guessing that there are no real differences between the .CR2 and .JPG for checking composition, lighting. I have never used DPP. I will take a look at it. 1. Is there any reason to tether with .CR2 vs. .JPG visually? 2. If shooting both .CR2 and .JPG is there a way to tether just the .JPG...
  18. K

Tethering speeds

I am using a cable to tether my 5DM3 into Lightroom on my Macbook Pro. I am shooting .CR2. The speed is OK, though I would like it to be faster. 1. Is there anyway to increase the speed of the photos being tethered/imported into Lightroom? 2. If I want to tether wirelessly using a CamRanger...
  19. K

I am using a studio light with a shutter of 1/250. Please pardon my ignorance, I am new to all of this. I have been using these settings for many shots I took yesterday while practicing with the light and I did not have this issue. Perhaps my settings were slightly different and I didn't realize...
  20. K

All of a sudden I am getting a soft edge to my photos taken with a 5DM3. This happens with both my 24-70 and my 70-200. What is going on? Look at the left side of this photo. If I shoot horizontally the soft edge appears along the bottom. Thanks.