Search results

1. S

Yongnuo announces the YN RF 85mm f/1.8R DF DSM

This is the first third party lens to feature a control ring isn't it? Quite a breakthrough, as it means that they've used more than only the EF protocol.
  2. S

Canon officially announces the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

I must admit that I didn't ask Canon for it, but I find the RF 14-35 F/4 IS a very attractive lens. I would never buy an RF 16-35 F/4 non-IS for more than $1000, since there's already an EF 16-35 F/4 IS for that price.
  3. S

Canon officially announces the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

Well, with the shorter flange distance, it should be easier to develop ultra wide lenses, so it's not that weird to think that ultra lenses are cheaper to make for RF than it was for EF.
  4. S

Here is the Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM

I'm in the same boat. My 17-40 is still going strong and adding €1500 to it for a trade-in towards this 14-35 is just too steep for me. Now lets hope that the second hand market will see some nice 16-35 F/4's appear.
  5. S

Size and weight are very comparable to my 17-40 F/4. Very nice for 3mm extra at the wide end and IS. I hope the price will be reasonable...
  6. S

It indeed looks the same size as the 24-105 f/4. Here's a comparison of that lens with the 15-35 from camerasize.com This looks about the same difference as between the 24-105 and 14-35 in the OP.
  7. S

Save those pennies! A Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM is coming up for auction

I got that opportunity too at the Photokina in Köln somewhere in the 90s. Canon had a row of their super-teles on a stand for the public to play with. I guess my EOS5 is one of the lucky few to have interfaced with this legend :-)
  8. S

Patent: The return of eye-controlled focus, but for mirrorless cameras

The EOS 5 was my first Canon and I loved it, but didn't care much for the eye control. Setting the focus point manually worked better for me. But if it works well, eye control could be a nice addition: just look at a certain point and press a button to move focus to that point.
  9. S

SIGMA to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021

That's what I'm expecting too. Maybe not by simply adding 24mm to existing lenses, but my guess is that they will add a converter chip that allows them to use the legacy EF electronics.
  10. S

Sony officially announces the Alpha a7c, the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame camera.

The title says "Sony officially announces the Alpha a7c, the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame camera.", but fact is that it's not the lightest full frame camera. Not even the lightest digital full frame camera. Same holds for "The new FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 offers the world’s smallest and...
  11. S

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM

Thanks. Didn't know that patents include the flange distance in the total lens lenght.
  12. S

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM

I have been waiting for this lens to replace my EF version, but if those dimensions are correct, this RF version is even longer than the EF version with RF adapter attached....
  13. S

There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

A dedicated Direct Print button.
  14. S

Canon develops world’s first 1-megapixel SPAD image sensor

Do photons have color?
  15. S

This is likely Canon’s lens roadmap for 2020

f/11 makes a lot of sense considering the Panasonic 100-400 4-6.3 that's very popular in the micro43 world. It's comparable to a 200-800 8-12.6 in FF. It could make the argument of choosing micro43 for its tiny lenses obsolete.
  16. S

Patent: Canon universal battery grip

I'm not so sure about this. I always used a grip on my EOS's, starting with an analogue EOS5, but never really liked how they fit to the bodies. That's one reason I like my EOS 1Ds. And now Canon thinks it can get away with a one size fits all....
  17. S

An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

My bet is on a movable sensor, which in fact could also be used to add some macro to RF lenses, just like an extension tube, and maybe even tilt/shift.
  18. S

Patent: Canon Image Sensor Stabilization

"We think one of the challenges facing image sensor image stabilization from Canon is making it work with lens image stabilization and improving the overall performance." There's an easy solution to that: Just shut off IBIS when using a lens that has superior IS. This can be done automatically...
  19. S

Canon Hong Kong teases the September 5 announcements

At least it makes clear what the R stands for :-)
  20. S

Opinion: Canon is causing its own problems with the RF mount

Let's not forget that the RF mount is much wider than the EF-M mount and that part of the RF bayonet sits inside the RF mount. So if the RF bayonet does not fit inside the EF-M mount (which it probably doesn't) , it may very well be that even without an adapter, it's not possible to position an...