Search results

1. P

Yellowstone and Grand Teton Photo Advice

Norris Geyser Basin and Porcelain Geyser Basin are very good. Great Fountain Geyser and Grand Geyser are very good too. Mammoth hot springs is worth a visit. The Firehole River canyon is also very neat. Don't underestimate the distance between points of interest. Yellowstone is deceptively...
  2. P

What are your best shots of 2017?

2017 had fewer photo ops than years prior, but I still found some. Examples below: Dead Horse Point state park - Utah 2017 total eclipse
  3. P

Need your advice: I need a camera strap for hiking

I use a Vulture Equipment Works A4. I use the carabiners to attach my camera to my backpack straps. Great combination, and easy to remove from the straps when needed.
  4. P

Any one using Amazon Cloud for backup?

Yes, I use Amazon Cloud but as a tertiary backup. It comes with my Prime membership, and that makes the price right for me. I have gigs of photos stored with them, and it works adequately as tertiary backup for my needs. I would not use any cloud service as the main copy, or even a primary...
  5. P

Official: Canon EOS M3 and It's Not Coming To North America

Well, Canon, if you're not going to let me spend money on the M3 then you'd better give me an upgrade path for the SL1.
  6. P

What's the next EF-M lens you'd like to see?

I'd like Canon to release an 18-200 or 18-300 Swiss Army lens for the M.
  7. P

Canon EOS M3 Specifications

If the AF is faster and the touchscreen controls can be turned off, I'm in. It doesn't have to be perfect - it just needs to be an improvement over the M1.
  8. P

Why do I keep my Eos M?

I keep my M because it is a great "backpack" camera, and it can use any of my lenses. I got the M for hiking, but after some issues with settings changed without my knowledge due to the always-active touchscreen, I switched to the SL1 for most hikes. The viewfinder on the SL1 makes up for the...
  9. P

Would like location suggestions for shooting Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs

Oh, then you should be good to go. Pretty sure the flooding will be gone by late June. While in Yellowstone, be sure to visit the other geysers in the vicinity of Old Faithful. Castle, Grand, and Beehive geysers are very cool but they do not erupt as often as others. If you can spend the...
  10. P

Would like location suggestions for shooting Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs

Be aware that spring in the Tetons is tough for photographers. I was there in late May 2014 and a lot of stuff was flooded due to runoff. Schwabacher's Landing was underwater. The River Road was too. Wildlife activity (e.g. bears) kept a couple of other areas like Signal Mountain and the...
  11. P

Traveling to Europe... debating what gear to bring. DSLR or EOS M?

Leave the M at home. I have had several incidents where the always-on touchscreen on my M has messed things up. Resolution changed; exposure changed; focus point moved around. And in a couple of cases, I didn't see the problem until it was too late. If I want good portability, I carry my SL1...