Search results

1. W

A Canon DSLR First Coming to EOS 5D Mark IV [CR2]

If it really is automatic AFMA, it wouldn't be a first on Canon cameras...Magic Lateran has had it for three full years now, and on cameras well older than twice that. Though coupling it with PDAF on the sensor would be a nice touch, taking out the one semi-auto step in the process (activating...
  2. W

And I always thought I'd never see a red ring EF-S lens

What, that's not a 9001mm f/1.4LL DO IS USM V with free 1DX-II included, from a recently deceased Nigerian prince's collection? Bu-bu-but it has a red ring, AND it's white! I'm calling the FBI, the CIA, and my lawyer to investigate this sophisticated conspiracy!
  3. W

And I always thought I'd never see a red ring EF-S lens

What, precisely, is "criminal" about making a slight physical alteration to your own lens for your own purposes, and then clearly disclosing such when selling it? Unless, of course, I am missing some sarcasm here...
  4. W

Getting The Shot Vs Ethical Behaviour

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men...just want to watch the world burn."
  5. W

Getting The Shot Vs Ethical Behaviour

I am no macro photographer, but I happened to come across an old EF 35-80 III junker, and on a whim removed the front element to become a bit of a "Hacro" lens capable of up to 2:1 lifesize magnification. My first time out I grabbed a few shots of flies but I had to sneak up on them from behind...
  6. W

Image Sensor & Lens Patents from Canon

Re: Image Sensor & Lens Patents from Canon On chip A/D is one of the biggest magic ingredients that make Sony EXMORs as good as they are in the read noise department, so lets hope that happens. On the other hand, I was really hoping for my 15-70/2.8 IS with Sigma-18-35 level mechanics. A good...
  7. W

Advice on mixing video frame rates and resolutions

Shoot 1080p30 on both cameras, unless you are shooting a lot of high motion scenes. According to the x920's specs, it does in fact shoot 1080p30, and given that you're shooting at about half the compression ratio with 30p (given half the frames to compress at almost the same bitrate) there...
  8. W

Lenses that you want Canon to release next

17-55/2.8IS replacement: 15-70 f/2.8 IS USM with better build quality and mechanics, esp. focus ring (like 18-35 Art), better IS for video, and slightly larger image circle, would both make a great option for PJ/event photography on crop (7DII) and as a decent run and gun starter zoom for...
  9. W

New EF-S Lenses on the Horizon? [CR2]

Haha so true, though I would argue Slightly (less) Terrible Motor (relative to MM) since its at least a little quieter and maybe a little smoother from the little I've used it, though really no faster and the FTM is really just a FBW system. Then again, that's essentially what I've had to live...
  10. W

No question it will and should be USM. As a semi-pro level lens, the 24-70 equivalent for crop and bread and butter for all manner of demanding shooters, anything less than the speed, silence, and true MF of USM is unacceptable. For video, while STM may claim to be a bit smoother and more...
  11. W

No problem, just trying to make sure I understand what you mean. A 15-85/2.8 would be a little much, true. But given the precedents I stated previously, something like a 16-70/2.8 or even a little more would not be out of the question, and would still be near the price and weight range of the...
  12. W

Not sure what you mean by that...they could make a constant f/4 version of the current 15-85 which would probably satisfy some folks, but for cinema on s35 (APS-C) I'm not sure most would want to give up the DoF and low light advantages of f/2.8 for not that much more range. For stills there's...
  13. W

Personally, for both event/PJ shooting stills and for my upcoming (hopefully) Ursa Mini 4.6K EF (1.45x CF sensor) I'd kill for a 15-60/70 f/2.8. The wider range isn't isn't quite a as critical for me on the 4.6K as on the C-series since with the wider field of view and much higher resolution, I...
  14. W

What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

FYI you can already get these three today with most recent Canon bodies, including the 5DII and III, with Magic Lateran. Also, while it has some tradeoffs and a shot noise-limited ("ISO-independent") sensor for the 5DIV is still my biggest priority outside the small stuff, ML Dual ISO...
  15. W

Help with upgrade from T3i?

Well hello again, Tinky. Long time no hear, eh? Just yesterday I came across this article about video and the 5Ds that I thought you'd like...also, I noticed the latest EOSHD video quality rank places the 5DIII with internal ML RAW a full 10 spots above the C300, behind only the 1D C and the...
  16. W

Help with upgrade from T3i?

That information might have been helpful two weeks either, but as Hawk (the OP) stated in his most recent post 10 days ago, they already made their choice, and neither the 6D nor the 7D2 were in the running at that point. Furthermore, if you read the first post, you would have known Hawk's main...
  17. W

B&H USED DEPT Supertele

Yep, same with Adorama and KEH, particularly the former. That was why I was willing to take the small gamble on the Nifty Fifty Mark I in G (and, lest I forget, my 70-200/2.8L IS for only $850 with dented filter ring and decent cosmetics). I would buy the VG condition one from Adorama and if you...
  18. W

B&H USED DEPT Supertele

Yeah, B&H, Adorama, and KEH are the most trustworthy places in existence to buy from, used or otherwise. Particularly with KEH I've always heard they really underrate the condition of their used gear, and with Adorama I bought a Nifty Fifty Mark I for $99 (when it usually goes for $150+ used) in...
  19. W

70-200 2.8L IS - making noises when IS on

My old 70-200/2.8L IS (Mark I) definitely makes the loudest IS noises of any lens I own. Since I bought it used I can't say its always been like that, but it's worked great for me thus far. But yeah...it sure is disturbingly loud when you're right up next to it.
  20. W

Just found ISO100 won't clip normally

If you really want to learn more about how ISO, DR, and SNR really work on Canon sensors, take a gander at this thread on the ML forum; it's probably the most authoritative source out there on the internals of the Canon RAW image readout and processing pipeline I know of.