Search results

1. E

Focus Peaking Epiphany! And tilt shift.

So if you want to use focus peaking on a FF body with Canon lenses - why haven't you bought a Sony a7III or a7rIII yet? Add the metabones adapter and you're all set. As you move the focus plane around with the TS-E yes you can see the focus peaking indicating color move too. I think there's 3...
  2. E

A New Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens Coming? [CR2]

I mean people that need it would pay for it. The new Nikon 19mm is about $4k I think. If Nikon came out with something wider than 17mm, architectural photographers like me would possibly switch. I'd love to replace the 11-24 with something wider than 17mm TS-E. About the 17mm you could say it...
  3. E

That's why I can't see this as being realistic, now maybe they really meant a 14mm TS-E was in the works.
  4. E

Useful to who? Those lenses are useless to me. You can pick get a nice sigma 50 if you like. Canon has people like me still in their lens system because of these TS-Es.
  5. E

A tripod foot would be really helpful for stitching but it's plenty sharp in my opinion. Unless there's room to really surprise us. Fotodiox has the 17mm already covered for filters so I'm not concerned about that. I would much rather have resources go to developing something like a 14mm TS-E.
  6. E

Headed to Japan: gear/locations/advice needed

I've been to Japan about 12 times and I don't think I've ever been told not to photograph anything or anywhere and I'm usually on a tripod. Very different attitude towards photographers than in the states. Of course be respectful of sacred sites and people's personal space. The best place for...
  7. E

Article: The 5 Reasons Why I Switched Back to Canon From Sony

I started shooting architecture on 4x5 film so I know my way around a meter but haven't needed one in quite some time. The mirrorless viewfinder is very accurate for me. I trust you are accommodating for your lens shift on the spot meter?
  8. E

Yes of course, but not sure if I had it on. Plus the camera was quite a bit over my head and I was using the remote to fire. To tell you the truth, I never had that happen before so I didn't really know there was a daylight setting! I'm usually much closer to the camera or ideally tethered into...
  9. E

I don't know about that - having the extra stop of DR (especially at the high end) plus the 12 extra MPX makes a huge difference for me. In this shot I didn't have to transform and crop but it happens quite often on tight building portraits. If I had the 5Ds, I would have had the pixels but not...
  10. E

Here's an example of a terrible exposure being corrected to save a photo. Here I went with a -0.7 exposure and +53 in highlights in Capture One with the a7r2. I'd say that's a pretty decent recovery job:
  11. E

Well of course but in real life situations, you don't always have that luxury. Like shooting a building from across a narrow street - if I can't get it on a ladder with the 17mm TS-E either in one shot or stitched I have to use the 11-24 and point the camera up, transform and crop (which I hate...
  12. E

What do you mean? 40-50 mpix vs 30 is a big difference. Playing around with that chart shows that the 5Ds is almost 2 stops worst and the 5D4 is about one stop worst than the a7r3.
  13. E

Not in the 1Dx2s I used. But for my purposes the extra pixels are just as important too, so the 5Ds is a better camera to compare to. Sometimes I need to make a big image transformation and crop out a lot of image. I went to Sony just after the 5Ds was announced.
  14. E

I'm not going to get into this again and again - I was asked what are the reasons I switched (used Canon digital since 20D until 1Dx2 and 6D) and I answered DR being the #1 reason. In architecture and interiors, not having to over bracket and capture the necessary tones in a scene in even one...
  15. E

The big reason for us is the dynamic range by far. It has flat out transformed my on set and post production workflow. Next would be the variety of lenses that could be used. I use all of the Canon TS-Es a Contax shift lens and a Sigma long zoom. The precise and always on live view works great...
  16. E

I bought into Sony and a lot of others the pro architecture field did too. What they did right is provide a few vital features and other smaller ones (that might look like spec sheets fillers to some) that provide a big difference after all for what I do. I also like the rapid product...
  17. E

FWIW (for those who didn't go to the link) the article is comparing a 2016 Sony a6300 ($900) to a Canon 5D MkIV.
  18. E

Canon 100-400 L II vs Sony 100-400 GM OSS

Re: Canon 100-400 L II vs Sony 100-400 GM OSS - UPDATE w/sharpness comparison Yes Capture One is in a whole other league vs Lightroom. (Wait until you master Linear Response curve over Auto in C1P with the Sony sensor.)
  19. E

PetalPixel: How CPS Saved the Day and My Photo Job

He wouldn't have had to wait even that hour and a half (which in some situations could be too late) if he had a back up body. Not sure why this is a story.
  20. E

Sony a7R3 Review and 5D Mark IV Comparisons | Dustin

Right just like every other DSLR and Mirrorless has had sensor shake or something like it since then. Point is a mirror isn't going to protect your sensor all of the time. Seems like some are just reaching to find faults with non-Canon cameras.