Search results

1. Zeidora

Industry News: Zeiss announces the ZX1 full frame camera

Fortunately, I'm on the ground floor at home, so no traffic or other vibrations to affect the scopes. They sit on 20' 1.75" butcher block bolted to wall, so lots of inertia. Only a couple of time I've ever had issues with pixel shifts, but that rather from the live plant moving due to air...
  2. Zeidora

Monitor Calibration: What's your recommendation?

I got the color munki with projector calibration option, as I own and use a projector for talks. I ran into problems with the software, which just refused to communicate with the spider. Eventually, I figured out that there are two separate apps, and that are linked with a common interface, and...
  3. Zeidora

If Zeiss outsources 3/4" sensors on $5-15K cameras, I seriously doubt they would have their own sensor fab for a full size sensor. Even for Zeiss that would involve some serious cash. Maybe it's a custom job made at a Sony .... plant. I have only used the Axiocam HRc II and III (so the 512...
  4. Zeidora

The fixed and prime lens is "interesting"; not sure how many people will go for it. Those who are into prime lenses will want to have interchangeable lenses, and those who don't care about that will want a zoom. So who is the target audience? "LR" integration, maybe a bit of an overstatement...
  5. Zeidora

Canon DSLR to screw mount adaptor info ?

Never seen a chipped M42 adapter. I have both Zeiss C/Y to EOS and M39/42 to EOS adapters and helicoids, even Nikon F to EOS. Work fine on both 5D2 and 5DsR. With the Zeiss F-Distagon 16 mm, something interferes with the mirror on the 5DsR (but not the 5D2) so have to remember to mount the lens...
  6. Zeidora

What do you want in a 5DSR MkII?

Interchangeable focusing screens like on the 5D2. Never understood why Canon abandoned that on the later 5D models, particularly on the 5Ds/R. Easier accessible exposure correction. Flash exposure correction is easily accessible through buttons on top, but for regular exposure correction you...
  7. Zeidora

Do you use 4K video?

To clarify, don't do video of any kind, don't have a TV, but own a 4K computer display for still editing and layout.
  8. Zeidora

Do you use 4K video?

... and the results above are rather skewed towards video given people who hang out here. So population statistics will be even lower.
  9. Zeidora

Personal cloud vs raid array?

I keep RAID 1/10 arrays. Important to whatever you choose is locality redundancy. If you store on 5 drives all at home, home burns down, all five drives are toast. I keep one set of RAIDs at home, one set at work. It is much less likely that both burn down at the same time. Re cloud/ISP storage...
  10. Zeidora

Which is the large Camera that you have seen ever?

I own an ArcaSwiss 4x5" compact classic with a bunch of glass, a few bellows and accessories. Most LF cameras I've seen was at a workshop out in Joshua Tree National Park. About a dozen or so, I think up to 8x10", no ULF, as far as I recall. Below is an image of one of my set-ups and the...
  11. Zeidora

POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

You know, there is a manual setting for exposure. Brighten up by 2 f-stops with 1/20 s. Done. That is not a problem of the camera.
  12. Zeidora

Photo only camera

I use dedicated tools for dedicated purposes. For photo a still camera, for video (which I don't do anyway) a video camera. Halfbaked hybrids are no good.
  13. Zeidora

POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Not for me. Pre-ordered the 5DsR back then. if/when the 5DsR II comes out, I likely pre-order that one.
  14. Zeidora

Canon USA: Canon Professional Services

Has anybody been denied CPS membership? What counts towards "majority of income": just pressing the shutter, or also pre-prep and post production? Does it mean majority of income with Canon gear, or imaging with all sorts of gear, including Canon? No need to answer, just demonstrate that the...
  15. Zeidora

600mm as a macro ;-)

I've used extension tubes on a 300/2.8 and works very well. Still have to compare it to a 180M with 1.4x (240 mm) re IQ.
  16. Zeidora

Proof of concept: UV-reflectance stacking with MP-E 65

I've been in contact with Klaus before, know his very useful website. There is also the ultravioletphotography forum. Thanks for the pointers re UV LEDs. As far as i understand UV LEDs, they are very narrow in terms of wavelengths, which result essentially in monochromatic (B&W) UV reflectance...
  17. Zeidora

Zeiss to Announce 100mm f/1.4 Otus APO Sonnar T*

Certainly not a macro, which is a bummer. Had been hoping for a 1:1 100 mm Otus macro. Although I am a huge Zeiss fan, will sit this one out as well. Not sure what Zeiss is thinking.
  18. Zeidora

Canon CPS Germany/Europe is changing their membership qualification system

Canon USA point can also be pretty whacky. My 300/2.8 IS (I) gets zero points, while the MPE 65 gets 8, same as a TSE 24. And they still have not fixed the MT24/26 distinction, my 26 still comes up as a 24. E-mailed them months ago. Not worried, still qualify for platinum, though just use silver...
  19. Zeidora

It is an epiphytic tropical orchid in the genus Oberonia. Do some systematic/phylogentic work on that genus, and got interested in the pollination biology because everybody asks me that question.
  20. Zeidora

The problem is the sync voltage of the Metz, which will fry the 5D electronics. At any rate, now have a PC Buff white light 1600 so can radio control that.