Search results

1. Zeidora

Store multiple custom WB in 5D2?

Is it possible to store multiple custom white balances in a 5D2? I shoot series of UV reflectance images with three different UV filters and UV-flash [Paul Buff WhiteLight 1600 with un-coated tube] on a full-spectrum modified 5D2 body. Rather than doing WB every time I switch a filter, I would...
  2. Zeidora

Buff WhiteLight X1600: paint inside of snoot silver?

Just ordered a second studio flash (have a Buff Einstein 640), a Buff WhiteLight X1600. Mainly for the uncoated tube to do UV reflectance macro. In order to control excess spill of harmful UV, I got a snoot, but that loses 3.5 f-stops. Snoots generally are black on the inside. Has anybody...
  3. Zeidora

MT 26EXRT first impression

Just started playing around with the new Macro flash from Canon the MT 26EX RT. I have used the MT24 extensively for the past few years. Packaging: same Canon box, comes with pouch with small tab of velcro closure instead of the run around zipper. Access is quick with the velcro tab, but the...
  4. Zeidora

Optical slave for Vivitar 283 and Canon 580EX?

I am looking for a hotshoe optical slave trigger primarily for a Vivitar 283 UV mod with trigger voltage of ~280V, but would also like the option to use on my Canon 580EX or the MT24/26 with ~6V trigger voltage. Not sure trigger voltage matters with optical slaves. Wein slaves get very uneven...
  5. Zeidora

Good web hosting e-mail provider in US?

Do you know of good web hosting & e-mail provider? Particularly, if you are a one person type organization where you still to your own website (I use Dreamweaver plus some hand-coding). I have been using startlogic, but am getting really annoyed with them (switching e-mail system with no notice...
  6. Zeidora

Breakthrough coming out with glass ND grads!

Very much looking forward to this: see https://breakthrough.photography/pages/breakthrough-photography-announces-x100-x4-gnd The Lee buyback is a major selling point for me.
  7. Zeidora

Overriding W-E1 to download by USB3 cable?

Is there a way to leave W-E1 in 5DsR body and download through USB3 cable? When I connect the camera by USB3 to computer (Mac), the EOS utility will open and have the auto-download option available. With W-E1 in place, I only get the Wi-Fi connection option, but no cable connection. So I have...
  8. Zeidora

W-E1/5DsR iOS utilities?

Just got my W-E1 for my 5DsR. No problem getting it working on a MacAir and my iPhone 5. Re iPhone apps, there is Canon's Camera Connect, and just noticed Cascable. Are there other apps to consider for remote shooting? Cascable has a free basic set, and then a pro bundle. Is the pro bundle worth...
  9. Zeidora

Which rechargeable AA batteries for Speedlights?

I have to replace my rechargeables for my MT24EX and my 580. I am looking for quick recycle time. Eneloop Pro or XX (2550 mAh) get good reviews. EBL 2800 mAh may be an option but are said to be thicker so a tight fit in some electronics. Anybody try those on Canon speedlights? Any other options...
  10. Zeidora

Pros/cons Hejnar focusing rails?

I'm looking at upgrading my focusing rail. I have a dual axis (http://www.adorama.com/mcfrs.html), but hardly ever use the Y axis, and would like to have Arca plate/QR built-in. I shoot with gripped 5DsR, Zeiss 100 MP, extension rings, MP-E 65, occasionally Canon 180M, with MT-24 EX. So a rather...
  11. Zeidora

Proof of concept: UV-reflectance stacking with MP-E 65

This right up front, this is not a great picture, it is a proof of concept, to be refined. I am interested in UV reflectance photography and to see whether there are insect patterns not visible in "normal" light on some minute orchid flowers. The flower is 1.76 mm (no, not a typo) wide. Shot...
  12. Zeidora

Opinions: bellows for M39/M42 lenses with 5D? good bad ugly?

I want to use some M39 and M42 mount lenses for macro-stacking with a 5D2 body. I am looking for pros/cons on various options. The main question is availability of various adapters. Auto functions are of no concern to me, and Tilt/Shift is not important at all. And, cheaper is better, all other...
  13. Zeidora

300/2.8 rear drop-in holder for 52 mm screw availability/discontinued?

I'm looking for the rear drop-in filter holder for 52 mm screw-in filters for the 300/2.8 (same as for several other big whites), but it is out of stock everywhere, and it is not even listed on the Canon website. Is this a short term backlog, or has this been discontinued? I'm about to get my...
  14. Zeidora

5daydeal worth it?

I assume many of you have received the 5daydeal e-mail. Sounds amazing, but maybe too good to be true? Have you bought it before: happy, ho-hum, waste of money? I'm on the fence for the following reasons: - Videos. Most videos are atrocious. I watched Mark Levoy's google lectures, and they were...
  15. Zeidora

5DsR view finder blurry without batteries ?!?

Just noticed something weird. On my 5DsR, the viewfinder goes blurry (looks like it focuses to <1 inch, so way beyond diopter adjustments) when I take out the batteries from the grip. I took out batteries from the gripped 5D2, and no change there. It happens even with MF lenses (!), both Zeiss...
  16. Zeidora

Which adapter for C/Y lenses on 5DsR? using Zeiss C/Y 16 mm F-Distagon

i have a Zeiss F-Distagon 16 mm with a Haoda CTX-EOS adapter that works well with my 5D2. However, on my 5DsR, the camera gives me a lens communication error (error 20), but only if I fully engage the lens with adapter (clicking sound when mounting the lens). When I unmount the lens by just a...
  17. Zeidora

How do you position MT24 heads?

I am using the MT24 quite a bit. The ring mount on the lens is OK, but frequently I want the flash heads in some other position: closer to lens axis of MP-E 65, or further way than what the MT24 ring allows. I have a couple of Wimberley plamps, where I replaced the tongue with a small flash...
  18. Zeidora

MT24 EX second time one head died: time for new unit?

I have the MT24 EX macro twin head flash, which I use quite a bit. About a year ago, one flash head stopped working and I got it repaired for something like $200. Now one head is dead again (not sure whether same or other). Is it worth to get it repaired, or is this the beginning of the end...
  19. Zeidora

Triggering 580 EXII and Buff-Einstein with cables from 5DsR?

Looking into adding a studio strobe for reproduction plant photography. I noticed Buff's Einstein with very linear color temperature of 5600K regardless of power output. Can I trigger simultaneously a Canon speed light with TTL cable from hot shoe, and a studio strobe with PC-sync cable from the...
  20. Zeidora

TS-E 17 for tilt on 5DsR?

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on a TS-E 17 mm for my 5DsR. Purpose: landscapes and environmental portraits of plants, so mainly tilt, not shift as in architecture. I am familiar with movements from doing 4x5 LF. My other lenses are mainly Zeiss primes, and I like to use the Zeiss 21 ZE a lot...