Search results

1. G

newton's rings

i'm getting Newton's rings on long exposures with 6 and 9 stop ND filters on my 16-35 f/4L when stopping down. no sign of them at f/5.6, noticeable at f/8, really bad at f/11. doesn't happen at all with my 3 stop ND or polarizer. i've ordered some heavier duty cleaning solution, in case there...
  2. G

what's up with the 70-300 range?

depending how you count them, canon has about half a dozen different lenses in the 70-300 zoom range, but all being variable f/5.6, is there room for another? i'd be really interested to see something longer than 70-200, faster than f/5.6, with modern L worthy IQ, but smaller and cheaper than...
  3. G

setup for food photography

Despite the fact I haven't really done this before, I've been asked to do some shots to appear in promo material for a food truck (hamburgers and such). I'm expecting the setting to be a picnic table in natural light. I'm thinking of using the 50L for relatively natural perspective and a...
  4. G

Gearheads and legs

Shopping for a tripod. What I've learned from borrowing my friend's cheap tripod is that I hate flexy legs, and I really hate saggy ballheads. I will be exclusively shooting things that don't move, mostly landscape, and maybe some architectural interiors. I am a patient perfectionist, so I'm...
  5. G

Deliberately blowing out windows in interior design shots

It's very common to see interior design photos with the windows completely blown out to pure white. I gather that the reason to do this is to separate the interior from the exterior, and allow the viewer to judge the design without being prejudiced by the context of locale, weather outside...
  6. G

supply of 16-35 f4 is and decision on WA for travel

The 16-35/f4 has been sold out in Canada (or at least at all the outlets I know of) since approx Christmas. Any idea how long Canon usually takes to rectify such things? I am planning a road trip to New Mexico and Arizona this summer and need a wide angle. I'm debating between the 16-35/f4...
  7. G

understanding "fastness"

Hi all, I am relatively new to DSLR. I understand the relationship of aperture, iso and shutter speed, but when comparing a couple of lenses I've run into something that doesn't quite add up. First a bit of background. I have a 6d and my only lens so far is a 50L. I know that this is a...