Search results

1. the.unkle.george

Can someone please point out the diference between LV shooting Modes 1,2 and disabled please?

Hmm, that would be true.... It looks like Mode 1 _and_ Mode 2 use Electronic First Curtain Shutter, which would reduce vibration from the initial opening of the shutter. Holding the shutter shut after the shot (Mode 2) would only be useful to make the camera quieter. This has a detailed...
  2. the.unkle.george

Can someone please point out the diference between LV shooting Modes 1,2 and disabled please?

Mode 2 is also useful around 1/40th shutter speed to reduce some of the shutter induced vibration from adding motion blur similar to mirror lockup. 70d did I notice ... maybe if I looked real hard. 5d IV, no ... the shutter & mirror seem more dampened and don't create as much vibration.
  3. the.unkle.george

Canon to partner with GoPro in some capacity? [CR0]

There is a whole lot of software under the hood of a GoPro that runs on an Arm SOC. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Open-Source-Software Canon could certainly use some GoPro expertise to ditch their aging and proprietary Digic platform. What kind of features could this actually enable...
  4. the.unkle.george

General purpose f/2.8 zoom for 80D?

The Canon 17-55mm is better, but the Sigma OS and VC versions can be found on CL etc for $200 - $250. They're both very good value for the money and I'd highly recommend one of these over the various more expensive 24-70mm options. Full frame lenses on APS-C bodies are heavier, more expensive...
  5. the.unkle.george

Well, Here's Another Mirrorless Option for Your Canon Glass

What? No 1/4" screw hole on the bottom? How am I going to mount this on my selfie stick? Sure there's a few major misses here, but the idea has potential to fill the gap between a GoPro and a 6dII blogging camera. Make it water tight, built-in speed booster, 802.11 ac wifi and a huge...
  6. the.unkle.george

Yongnuo Announces the YONGNUO YN50mm F1.8 II, With Super Bokeh Effect

So, if closet pictures are your thing, this is the lens for you. ::) Even if the quality is just decent, it's nice to see some price pressure on Canon. Someday we'll get an updated 50mm f/1.4.
  7. the.unkle.george

New Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM OS Sport Finally Coming Ahead of Photokina

<continue flame war> It won't be long until Canon starts selling lenses with native FE mount </continue flame war> If Canon decides to alienate 3rd party lens users by adding DRM / encryption, users will have a choice of replacing lenses, replacing bodies, or just not upgrading. Canon would...
  8. the.unkle.george

Using a crop lens on 1DX Mark II for 4K UHD Video? Would it work?

Check out Dustin Abbott's review of the Tamron 10-24mm: https://dustinabbott.net/2017/04/tamron-10-24mm-f3-5-4-5-vc-hld-review/ Down under "Interesting Video Option", he covers that it does seem to work OK for 4k cropped video. Even at 13mm, it covers the full frame, so it would work for...
  9. the.unkle.george

Printing Photo: Where Do I Start? Inkjet vs Dye sub

:o Useful information is useful, I doesn't bother me there's a 3 year time gap in the posts.
  10. the.unkle.george

Hands on Field Test of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Yup. 6D owner here. I see no reason to fork out +$1k for such a minor upgrade, or $2k to move to a 5DIV. If the 5d had IBIS and 4k I'd feel like I was actually getting something for my money. I expected the 6DmII value to at least match the d750 or K1. I'm directly in the middle of the...
  11. the.unkle.george

6D owners, are you upgrading?

Nope. I'm not spending $1k for something no better than what I have. I've been waiting for this upgrade for about a year with money in hand. I have ~$10k in Canon glass and I'm eyeballing what I really use to swap to Sony. I wanted a FF 80d, Canon is offering a lame duck for $2000...
  12. the.unkle.george

Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 VC HLD Review - Dustin

The corners are a little soft, and I wonder if you'd have vignetting on one side as the VC shifts the image around. Looks usable, especially for video. I have some EF-S glass I'd love to use with my 6d. It's cheaper, lighter, and even with a bit of cropping, good enough in most cases. :-\
  13. the.unkle.george

70-200 2.8 non-IS vs. Primes?

Maybe consider the 55-250mm STM. It's ~$150, and stopped down a little has the same IQ as the 70-200mm f4. Yeah it's STM, but the elements are small (EF-S vs EF, 5.6 vs f4/f2.8), so they move as fast and quieter than a FF USM lens...
  14. the.unkle.george

70-200 2.8 non-IS vs. Primes?

The variation of focal lengths makes for more interesting images. I shot some indoor karting with a 85mm f/1.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. Even stopped down, the spherical and chromatic aberration of the f/1.8 were quite noticeable over the zoom. Image quality is about more than just...
  15. the.unkle.george

'smart' TS-E adapter patent?

How about as a EF lens with IS lens adapter to mirrorless APS-C sensor that can control the IS for a minor tilt-shift effect. Might as well take advantage of that larger image circle for something.
  16. the.unkle.george

Patent: Electronic Curved Sensor

I imagine it won't be long before Canon requires some form of encrypted handshake between lens and body to enable new features. Old Canon and 3rd party lenses will still work, but won't support in camera lens correction features like sensor curving, IBIS, peripheral illumination correction...
  17. the.unkle.george

Craigslist Scam of the Day!

OK, then CL experts... Lets play a little game of _Hot or Not_ http://chambana.craigslist.org/pho/5660368725.html :D :D :D :D :D
  18. the.unkle.george

Late back to the party, but I got some good answers. I agree with Mt Spokane's initial take that this is a scam, but what were the tell-tale signs? ie, if the price had been reasonable, what else was a tip-off? In this thread so far: The obvious 'price is too good to be true' problem The...
  19. the.unkle.george

OK, so besides the 'to good to be true' price... What else do you see as a tip off that it's a scam?
  20. the.unkle.george

AFMA frustrations

Light color temperature also effects focus calibration, and at least the 50mm f1.4 tends to focus shift when you stop down. ie, the focus moves closer to the camera when you stop down from f1.4 to f5.6. If you want dead on accuracy at 1.2, use magnified live view.