Search results

1. Sean C

Cosina officially announces the Voigtlander NOKTON RF 75mm f/1.5

EF->RF is a system switch, EF can be adapted to other mirrorless systems. Just as with choosing EF, I'm going to look before leaping. I've got a system I'm happy with, so I don't have to make a forced jump. My gear acquisition has switched to lighting/studio instead of the expense of re-buying...
  2. Sean C

Canon Patent Application: Automated Tilt Movements

Very neat, I'm glad to see this idea advancing. This is something I've always pointed out as the predictable evolution of mirrorless/live view, touch screen, subject tracking + motorized TS lenses. User selects objects on screen, TS lens tilts using in sensor focus to determine tilt + focus and...
  3. Sean C

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

This is where I am. EF->R transition is the time to consider if a system switch is right. The R lens pricing, 3rd party lens lock out, teething issues (heat, focus etc) have me hanging on to my 5D IV for now. I think computational features will be increasingly important, that'll really need some...
  4. Sean C

Canon Patent Application: Major Defocus improvements

I\'m surprised they haven\'t used aperture control in conjunction with DP phase detect focus. If you\'ve got a big white that\'s 100% so that the phase detect can\'t read direction/amount out of focus, then stop down until the sensors do read well, focus in the indicated direction and then open...
  5. Sean C

Canon Patent Application: Canon TS-R lenses

'More needed' is a different discussion from 'what could you use it for'. A past stage event my one option not blocked by the audience was a perch above and to the left of the stage, with light low enough I wanted to shoot at F2.8 so my DOF was narrow. I could get my main subject in focus, but...
  6. Sean C

Canon Patent Application: IBIS heat transfer improvements

Since the tube is protected, it can be made from a very flexible material/thinner walled material. Of course it remains to be seen if it can be flexible, durable and light 'enough'.
  7. Sean C

Opinion: Canon’s mounting woes

Hah, read 20 pages of side tracked comments to see if anyone had already asked: Is anyone waiting to see if 3rd party lenses will actually be allowed before deciding on where to go after EF, or is everyone here a pro/gearhead enough they've already gone mirrorless? I'm a hobbiest who paused due...
  8. Sean C

Canon EOS R5 firmware update [CR2]

No. Just no. It is 100% reasonable to evaluate the value of moving to the new one though. Just die/process shrinks for the chips leads to less heat & battery usage for the same result. In practice, that performance per watt is often spent on features instead. Right now we could use cooler...
  9. Sean C

Canon EOS R5 Mark II going to 60mp? [CR1]

The use cases for more MP change. If the Bayer pattern is smaller than the resolved image you'll avoid Bayer moire/artifacting. I'd like to see more supported options for alternative uses of 'extra' pixels as we get to the point we're out-resolving practical uses of more standard resolution for...
  10. Sean C

SIGMA will address the RF mount in 2022 [CR3]

You'd only need to make the special not found elsewhere lenses exclusive as incentive to invest in the system.
  11. Sean C

Preorder the Canon EOS R5 C

The processor too on the R5 for the heat soak problem. Sensor heating itself can cause quality issues (noise) before there is an overheat problem. They might have done this even if overheating were no problem. It makes sense to optimize for video in a cinema model, and presumably cost/size/form...
  12. Sean C

Preorder the Canon EOS R5 C

I bet that's a heat constraint. If the sensor moves, it can't be bonded to a heat sink. IBIS isn't as useful for serious video work, and I'd think it'd be a choice between that and 8k.
  13. Sean C

Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

I'd like rangefinder window positioning of the viewfinder so my nose isn't crushed against the camera! I'd give up viewfinder/lens alignment for that!
  14. Sean C

Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

I'm dissapointed in this thread. It should have reached 'Only view cameras are real cameras. If it doesn't have bellows, it's a toy!' by now! ;)
  15. Sean C

Industry News: Sony officially warns about CIS laser damage

It's the total energy in the light. UV short wavelength light is more energetic than IR. (so violet lasers need more care) For the same apparent brightness, green lasers are safer simply because we see green better so a less powerful laser 'looks' as bright.
  16. Sean C

The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Have you tried WSUS? I haven't checked to verify it still supports Win 7 but it may well. I used it from XP through 8.1 when I reloaded a Windows system to get the updates on it without waiting for downloads. The catch is you'd need access to a connected Win box to make the USB stick. (it's an...
  17. Sean C

The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

Within the camera? The entire base plate - as being bigger it'll shed more heat energy with a lower surface temp. An optional grip finned heat sink would have more surface area to transfer heat as well. The current setup is so (very) poor I'd expect more than a 200% improvement from a simple...
  18. Sean C

The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

While I take your point, it assumes a zero sum game. If the programming is more efficient, if high cpu work is done on a dedicated asic, if the chips are lower voltage parts or if the chips are made with a smaller more advanced process less heat will be created for the same work done. If the...
  19. Sean C

Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I wonder if they mostly completed developing the RF versions alongside the MK III versions so they've been ready but for the delays affecting everything. (RF transition planning has been underway at Canon for quite awhile, so it'd make sense to prepare for RF as much as practical in the last...
  20. Sean C

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM officially discontinued

Add me to the list of folks who really like the 40mm pancake. It seems to somehow avoid pancake IQ issues, and it's image and build quality are both great for its price range.