Search results

1. A

Canon Launches the PowerShot Zoom in Black

Yes, it is wrong, and the fact you assumed 400mm would equal 8x magnification based on the old 50mm standard is precisely part of the problem. (The other part being you blew past display magnification and optical magnification being two separate things.) And yes, I own one (though, granted...
  2. A

Which is all fair enough if what you're after is 'just' a monocular. Solely as a monocular it's not particularly great, just like how solely as camera it's not particularly great. However, as a monocular-camera hybrid—something to both see and record sightings within a single device—it's...
  3. A

Yeah, the twitchers pretty universally love it. I'm not sure why so many Serious Business camera sites/channels tried to review it as if it was meant to be a contender against a 150-600 or whatever; Canon very clearly marketed it as a digital monocular which happens to be able to record record...
  4. A

The upcoming Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L is a dual-lens VR lens

Workflow and output consistency. It's hard to get 'action cam' footage to blend in with video from other systems seamlessly, and it's easier for large productions to just use one camera/mount. Now, whether or not there's really that much call for a VR fisheye to be integrated with other...
  5. A

A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

BSI outside of Sony is mostly used to improve speed, so it's safe to assume this will be a 7D style body; something for the big field sports and wildlife shooters who need high pixel density and would be cropping anyway. I wouldn't be totally surprised if this is more of a 90D 'all-rounder'...
  6. A

Here is the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM

You said "mainly for architecture use". That lens was never marketed as such—you can find archives of all of Canon's material from then—and architectural photography at the time was dominated by large format, though even on 35mm there were at that point shift lenses which were being offered for...
  7. A

Gordon Laing from CameraLabs gives his first reviews of the new Canon gear, including the EOS R3

And the R can be a little sharper than the 5D4, as is the RP to the 6D2 and the R6 to the 1DXIII, albeit all with a fraction more noise and banding. When Canon moved from the final .cr2/.pf2 generation to .cr3/.pf3 (which includes going from 1D X II to III) they eased off on the antialiasing at...
  8. A

Gordon Laing from CameraLabs gives his first reviews of the new Canon gear, including the EOS R3

I don't have the time to go through line-by-line after having written the last one above, and frankly I have very little patience for this sort of bizarre, anti-consumer championing of an allegedly righteous company who just want to give everyone the very best products possible (sidestepping...
  9. A

The birds I specifically go out to photograph most frequently—not counting snapping the back garden, I mean busting out the big gear to very purposefully locate a particular bird—are peregrine falcons. Literally the single fastest animals on the planet. I'm lucky that they frequently nest here...
  10. A

It's always a tight squeeze to fit everything into bodies like this and HDMI out is nowhere near as important for these sorts of cameras as ethernet, full-size USB, and robust wi-fi/bluetooth. I imagine Canon figured putting a full HDMI port in would have taken up too much space better reserved...
  11. A

If you're only talking about the professional market, yes, you are mostly correct. Nikon was 'the' system when it came to pro use and Canon was very much secondary around the world, and in a few countries third after Pentax. (Though it should be noted that the Canon F-1 you mention was only a...
  12. A

It lines up with what I've experienced with the 1D X III, R5 and R6. The very nature of how mirrorless focuses vs SLRs means that, until there is a significant breakthrough which likely won't be for a few generations, the autofocus of the very best SLRs will remain better for tracking subjects...
  13. A

Only when they've had competition forcing them to, though. When Canon put out their first R and FL cameras (and the Canonet fixed lens rangefinders) they were a big deal because they were undercutting everyone else by a huge margin, which as a company then-new to making camera bodies, they...
  14. A

Here is the official marketing material for the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM, Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and accessories

These bodies are used, only very rarely, by wildlife shooters, and the ones that do do typically only use them with the very longest lenses, like the 600mm f/4... which is already out in RF mount and which most of those users already own in EF. The question that was asked is why would Canon...
  15. A

If you want to just "stick to the facts" then you can go read the specification sheet on Canon's own website. That's what "sticking to the facts" is. The whole point of a review is someone spends some significant time with a product and then tells you about what their particular experience with...
  16. A

It only offers that fine control for files from certain camera models. I, reluctantly, have spent most of the last year and a half working deep in DPP and the Canon colour profile formats (to enable in-camera split toning and a bunch of other effects; there's a lot Canon cameras can do that...
  17. A

BEWARE: RF 14-35 f/4L IS USM

No, there's never been any kind of schedule. New bodies usually get support within the first two weeks of on-shelf release, but lenses can be anything from a few days before units hit shops, up to a month or even two afterward. It just depends on how fast Canon move, what else they've got on...
  18. A

Here is the official marketing material for the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM, Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM and accessories

The audience that actually buys cameras like the R3 already have the lenses they need and/or rent lenses on a per-job basis, anyway. These kinds of high-end, ultra-tough, full-time pro sports and news bodies are not the products which are designed to shift lenses. You'll get the occasional...
  19. A

It's very telling that they even mention "minimal color blur" at all in the description of the 100-400. Usually they don't mention any kind of fringing other than to say it's been fully corrected; of course that rarely means wholly corrected and we always have to remember that what claims are...
  20. A

^^ In the same fashion I've long wanted them to change the in-camera vignette correction to offer reduced levels of correction, since a little bit of vignette can sometimes help to make a center or just-off-center subject really stand out. Natural-looking vignette is one of the effects that...