Search results

1. researcher

End of an era, DPReview.com will shut down next month

I buy most of my camera gear used, the loss of DPReview and its extensive back catalog and gear timelines will be especially disappointing. Not everyone needs the latest tech, and DPReview has always been a good resource to find out basic specs and features of older gear. I wonder/hope that...
  2. researcher

Unconfirmed Canon EOS R7 Specifications [CR1]

Will the R7 be at a similar technical & price point, adjusted for inflation and supply chain woes, as the 7D? If so, will there be a down-spec version(s) to pick up the more entry/recreational Rebel-series market? Or have cell-phone cameras rendered the entry-level post-DSLR market moot?
  3. researcher

Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

I'm sure the R7 will be great APSC camera (if that is what it is) with a bevy of features to help coax the hoardes of mere Rebel owners into the RF fold. I'm gonna assume it will have IBIS, dual pixel AF and all the other basics and allow me to use my EF-S lenses with an adapter. One thing I...
  4. researcher

Canon will release an APS-C RF mount camera(s) later in 2022 [CR3]

I was wondering the same thing. If the current FF R-series can auto-crop to an EF-S lens, then I'm not sure how significant the production savings are in making a new APSC sensor - unless they just cripple the existing sensor to be full-time APSC. That said, I'm a casual Rebel shooter and I...
  5. researcher

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

I'm guessing no, not yet. I think global shutter would be one of those screaming features they would publicize in all caps. And this quote from Petapixel: "Canon says that the readout speed of the sensor is so good that there is minimum rolling electronic shutter distortion. The EOS R3 can...
  6. researcher

Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Regardless of what the models, I hope they all come with some kind of inherent 1080p webcam functionality. Covid19 taught many of us how nice that can be. I'm also still rooting for global shutter ASAP...
  7. researcher

An APS-C RF mount prototype is currently in the wild [CR2]

With a smaller APSC sensor and existing processing power, is there a better possibility of making a model with a global shutter, even in 1080p 24 mode? Just trying to figure out what a feature hook would be for an R7, other than being able to make use of existing EF-S lenses for the Rebel crowd...
  8. researcher

An APS-C RF mount prototype is currently in the wild [CR2]

I hope this new RF body comes with native full HD webcam capacity - one of those features the Pandemic of 2020 reminded many of us we'd like to have. I assume as a crop-sensor body, I will be able to use my EF-S lenses with it. Looking forward to seeing what emerges.
  9. researcher

Canon Announces the macOS Full Production Version of EOS Webcam Utility Software

Of course I've got a T4i... weird its not on the list, given that the T3i and T5i are. UPDATE - the v1.1 (Windows 10) EOS webcam utility worked with a T4i, a Rebel XS (1000D), and a 40D. OBS showed a custom output option of 1024 x 576 for all of them. There is a slight lag, but the image looks...
  10. researcher

Here is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

I was hoping/expecting Canon would do an APSC R-series camera, if only to tap the entry level market. Have they said if/when they are going to discontinue the non-pro DSLR's yet? What is the point of making Rebel or xxD series DSLRs if their mirrorless lines are the future?
  11. researcher

The Funleader 18mm f/8 Cap Lens is now available for the RF mount

Curious to see what the images are like. I have an old Olympus E-P3 body with their 15mm f8 bodycap pancake lens on it, and I have to say its a blast and quite liberating. It's the only Olympus stuff I kept. Its got a look that is fun and its just easy to point and click for both stills and HD...
  12. researcher

There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

Fair point. That said, I'm still curious what they will come out with - as long as it has the same base features (IBIS, eye-focus, mount etc.) and is priced below an R6, I'm willing to take a serious look. And who knows, if enough people want one, maybe they will make a Rebel-ized version that...
  13. researcher

There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

This would be great - I've been half-joking that an R7 was surely in the pipe on this forum for awhile. All those Canon Rebel owners - the majority of Canon DSLR buyers - should have a path to the mirrorless R-series, which, face it, is the mainline upgrade path to follow - M is pretty much an...
  14. researcher

Feature updates coming via firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Rumored Canon EOS R6 Firmware Update: Adding All-I for all record modes Canon Log 3 I wonder if and how much Canon could charge for this update for R6 owners. If its that much in demand, and the R6 is a lower-tier camera, might as well make a bit off a feature buyers really seem to want. Just...
  15. researcher

Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

If overheating is an issue in real life use, I'm sure some 3rd party vendor will develop a vertical battery grip with a small built-in fan & filter that can gently waft some air through the body. This presumes its an issue and there are crevices in the battery compartment that will facilitate...
  16. researcher

Alternate download location for Canon EOS DSLR firmware?

Thanks for the link - unfortunately, its currently says: There is no firmware for the OS version you selected. Which is weird because it didn't say that a couple of days ago. And it doesn't matter what OS you select. Canon of Canada replied to me today saying: " There is no firmware...
  17. researcher

Two more EOS R bodies are coming in 2021 [CR2]

Since we're at the Speculation Carnival, I'm gonna aim my dart at the prospect of an R7 - APSC version. It won't have all the features and functions of the top end, but will allow legacy crop sensor camera users to use their lenses with the new body/R-system. M-system, schmem system...
  18. researcher

Alternate download location for Canon EOS DSLR firmware?

Is there an alternative website where I can download firmware for the Canon EOS Rebel XS? (I think its also called the 1000D) I think the server for older firmware is down or gone. I picked up a used XS body for $50 CDN - old and simple, but good enough for a backup. Its on the older 1.0.5...
  19. researcher

7D Mark ii replacement

I thought I heard rumors of a R7, basically an R6 with a crop sensor in a kit with an adapter to allow us APSC DSLR owners to easily port their existing EF-S lenses to the new body at something less than the cost of full-frame. And it had a global shutter for the film makers. Then I woke up and...
  20. researcher

Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Point taken. I thought the R-series was fundamentally different from the M-series, and there might be a market for an APSC-version for those dedicated crop-format shooters with a EF-S lens collection looking to upgrade to a newer and feature-rich mirrorless system. The M-series strikes me more...