Search results

1. hmatthes

EOS R Video - drop outs in HD recordings?

I am a stills guy, no real video experience. Practicing to record a piano recital for kids... Using a book mic. on hot shoe and good headphones attached (Wow, I love that!) Using a STM lens (EF-s 18-135) for silent focusing (L glass is loud when mic is used) Video quality is excellent as...
  2. hmatthes

CarePAK PLUS "Penalty" to Early Buyers of EOS R

I've been a loyal Canon USA supporter for 30 years (still have my 1988 EOS 650). My first day order arrived October 11th and I am happy! Canon USA has a new program for free CarePAK Plus for EOS R buyers after October 21st... Sorry early adopters. You are screwed out of the $200.99 promotion...
  3. hmatthes

EOS R manuals spotted? Predelivery planning

Ordered mine from B&H at 12:01... I generally start my usage planning while awaiting delivery. Hope that is a short wait! Has anyone discovered a pre-release PDF of the EOS R manuals?
  4. hmatthes

FF Mirrorless Needed in 2018 -- A7-III changed the segment !

As a 30 year Canon EOS "fan boy", member of CPS, advocate for full frame -- The other guys have given us one helluva challenge: The A7-III (due April 10th) Priced like a 6D-II, performs better than anything Canon sells (well, I've never shot 1Dx), they finally have me tempted. CPS loaned me a...
  5. hmatthes

Backup EOS Body: M5/adapter or SL/2?

When Canon produces a FF mirrorless, that will be my 2nd body! But right now, I only have a small bit of space available in my kit and I would love to have a 2nd body for my EF lenses. Small is important. IQ on both are adequate if the primary body fails, is dropped, or a 2nd body for...
  6. hmatthes

EOS Mirrorless FF Like the Leica Q

I am evaluating a borrowed Leica Q and it has greatly impressed me. 28mm on FF works beautifully for my landscapes. 24mp is plenty if the noise is low at sane ISO levels. The controls are simple, well engineered (by photographers rater than engineers, I assume), and extremely well built. It...
  7. hmatthes

Upgrading from 5DIII to 5DIV -- your probable reasons?

So curious as to which reasonably probably improvements would motivate you to upgrade? I don't want to read "zero noise at ISO 64,000" or "eye focus" like my A2e film bodies or ... With three "C" modes, I can utilize so many of the 5DIII features with a minimum of diddling -- so I feel that my...
  8. hmatthes

Full Frame Addition: 5d2, 5d3, 6d, wait for 5dx/4 ??? Landscape Images

My go-to body is a 70D and I am very satisfied even when making 24x36 prints. It could well remain my go-to but I would like the increased DR etc. from a full frame sensor (or am I nuts?) The FF would mostly live with tripods, would not need a million AF points, always be used in AV or M modes...
  9. hmatthes

FF Bodies Using EF-s Lenses in Crop Sensor Mode?

Just a curious stills shooter jonesing for a 5D-IV body... Not an engineer... seems to me that the image circle of the EF-s family are designed for APS-c sensors & some FF bodies can select "Cropped" mode, therefore selecting in middle of the sensor. Since the physical mount is the same, meaning...
  10. hmatthes

Moving back to FF - 6D or 5D3 or wait for 6D2/5d4 ???

I'm an old EOS Film camera guy with a few older L 2.8 lenses -- and a 70D with many STM lenses. I could hand hold my A2e/2.8L combos and get stellar results. Now the 70D/STM combos likewise give me stellar results. Hmmmmm... FF at 2.8 w/o IS seems to be just as good as 1.6x/STM in end...