Search results

1. maboleth

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on Canon 90d question - how it performs?

Thanks on your report. Was thinking about it more in the mean time, and I think I will go for Canon 35mm f2 IS, since I'd be using Sigma at 35mm the most anyway. With Canon 35mm f2 IS I get - full Canon AF compatibility, both on Crop and FF and great IS. On Sigma I'd get more range, 1/3...
  2. maboleth

Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on Canon 90d question - how it performs?

I'm just about to buy this lens. I know it's stellar optically. But how does it perform with Canon 90D PDAF? Are all focus points usable and is it spot on?
  3. maboleth

Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

EVF of R6 is great, but I guess as someone that grew up on mechanical Nikon FM2/3a cameras, I cannot treat EVF as "normal" viewfinder. What I see in EVF is not the scene I see with my eyes (OVF). That can have ups and downs, of course. One of the ups is that what you see on EVF is 99% what you...
  4. maboleth

I'm not sure what is holding you to upgrade to 90d, in my case it's better in every possible way, except two things: 1. Body is not all metal (though metal-plated), but looks sturdier than R6 IMO. 2. You cannot deep-program AF point buttons. For example, both on my 7D/mk2 and 5d4 I mapped back...
  5. maboleth

No probs then, though I do think the prices will go down eventually. Esp. with cropped sensors. I was always a massive fan of 7D cameras so will get my eyes on R7 specs at least. I'm nowhere in a hurry, I can get everything done with 90d and 5d4, both professionally and for a hobby. I made a...
  6. maboleth

I have effectively moved from 5D4 to 90D (still keeping 5d for special occasions). Various reasons, but R7 is the only mirrorless camera I'm looking at the moment. In order for me to "jump" to RF several things needs to be addressed. - Better battery life - Better prices overall for RF lenses...
  7. maboleth

Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

Yes, I can see that camera connects to the modem itself (have it under "connected clients on my router menu") but either a) Canon utility doesn't come up or recognize the camera actually connected. b) The connection is there, I can access and do everything as normal, but disconnection happens...
  8. maboleth

Wifi on 5dmkIV totally unstable - assistance needed

I've been trying to connect my camera wirelessly with my Ubee cable router for days, without success. In a nutshell, the connection, when does happen, lasts 1-2min. Only a single time I have managed to connect the camera for good, without any disconnecting. I tried: 1. Connecting on my...
  9. maboleth

Help - 5dIV losing connection to USB (AMD Ryzen CPU)

Made it! I have flawlessly connected my camera, it was recognized immediately and Shotwell photo manager asked me to transfer images directly from the camera, with thumbnails. Transfer was done in a matter of a minute. Everything went smoothly with native USB 3.0 speed. ... in Manjaro Linux...
  10. maboleth

Well, it's a nice way to at least connect the device, but you can also do it wirelessly. Wireless works normally.
  11. maboleth

Oh, that's a hack. Are you sure that offers 3.0 transfer speeds? If not, it's yet another 2.0 connection (explains why it is working) and you'd be far faster with USB 3.1 card reader.
  12. maboleth

Well, as for usb working from your logitec keyboard, that's USB 2.0 right there... so that's not an option for large camera tansfers and camera that supports 3.0. How do you connect your camera with micro usb cable? I mean, I'm using the cable provided with the camera, it has a special end (usb...
  13. maboleth

Several reasons. My MB is brand new, stellar performance in absolutely any way, featuring super fast USB 3.2. The camera is the only piece of hardware that has issues. The same happened on my laptop that has entirely different chipset/cpu/mb. The only thing in common is, well - Ryzen AMD. And...
  14. maboleth

Sadly, I cannot test that as I don't have any.
  15. maboleth

Thanks Graham, yes you're right about the card reader. It just feels bad that your pro camera does not work with your latest rig. The only and most expensive piece of hardware that does not work. Isn't it ironic? Argh. And about technical support, I also agree... it's hard to find good support...
  16. maboleth

No, it's not the cable, it's not the machine. I mean it is the machine. :) With Ryzen CPU. Intel works great, but something is making problems with 5DmkIV and Ryzen processors and chipsets. I upgraded to Ryzen 3700x and AMD B450 chipset from Intel 6700. I contacted Canon Europe and they offered...
  17. maboleth

The moment I connect my camera to USB 3.0 I can hear the sound of Camera connecting. But in like 5-6 seconds connection will be lost and I will hear "connection out" sound. Still when I physically turn off the camera, I can hear that sound again. So it's like the camera is losing "software"...
  18. maboleth

RIP Chuck Westfall

Almost not a week passes that I don't hear that someone dear died. :( Chuck, you will be missed. Your advice, dedication and insights were always good to know and read. Didn't even know he was ill. Such a character. <3
  19. maboleth

50 1.4 us vs 50 1.8 stm

I don't have STM -yet- but I had f1.4 for 5 years. Used extensively on 7D and now 7DMk2. Optically I find it perfect for the price. Shallow dof at f1.4-1.8 can be dreamy and "glowy" but it's still good, especially if you process your images in Lightroom with dehaze and defringe settings. At f2...