Search results

1. C

Water cooled R5...

Someone had to do it:
  2. C

DJI’s Ronin Series Grows Stronger, Lighter, and Smarter with New DJI RS 2 and RSC 2 Gimbals

One of the nice features is the Raven Eyes add-on, looks great for solo operators for tracking as shown briefly here: Seems it's more of an evolutionary update built upon customer feedback from the Ronin-S, especially when it comes to balancing the camera rig something that was sorely needed...
  3. C

Industry News: GoPro announces the HERO9 Black

From the videos, reviews and new features I'd say so. The auto-horizon and stabilisation is damned impressive and they've brought back interchangeable lenses. The main downside is the increased weight/size but in reality they've needed to do that for a while now to increase battery life. Colour...
  4. C

2019 global camera market share numbers are out, Canon leads the way

The problem with Nikon unlike Canon/Sony is myriad but comes down to diversity in multiple markets to ride out the storms and, more importantly, they don't produce their own sensors. When a company is dependent on their competition for sensors then that'll always put them at a disadvantage and...
  5. C

Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

This is a system I built for someone editing/rendering 4k video and sometimes 8k within Da Vinci. excludes things like capture and sound cards but this will likely last for 3-4 years with upgrades. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZMcHsk Avoid anything Intel, and of course Adobe software both...
  6. C

NAS storage advice

SSD cache isn't needed for most SMB case uses, it's only really useful for when you're in a large sharing environment and/or require minimal latency. I use a pair of Synology NAS boxes mirrored at different sites. It should be noted that NAS isn't a backup in itself, it can form part of your...
  7. C

Adobe is Preparing a Major Performance Update to Lightroom Classic CC

You can thank AMD for that with the Ryzen. ThreadRipper and Epyc processors last year, and the last two offer more fabric bandwidth than Intel. Some of the best processors on the market and not susceptible to the Meltdown bug. For the first time in years we finally have a push for multicore (and...
  8. C

Storage options - RAID?

Some factors to consider when buying a NAS: 1) How are you going to back it up? 2) Does your network support jumbo packets/VLANs? 3) What other purposes do you envisage the NAS to do (VPN, OS Back up/version control, CCTV station etc). 4) How much data do you generate per annum and envisage...
  9. C

Storage options - RAID?

You can mount Synology RAID into a Linux distro to recover data quite easily, fans are fairly easy to swap out and to source replacements. Also Synology and QNAP offer ease of use and regular, tested updates to the core OS. If you're a geek then go for roll your own, but for everyone else then...
  10. C

Moving raid disks between two devices?

It's probably safer to migrate the data to a transitory storage system, there's too many gotchas migrating a RAID from one system to another, firmware, software and even controller types can bite you. This is how I do all my RAID migrations on NAS and SAN solutions. This way you have two copies...
  11. C

Monitor recommendations(again)

For professional work HP gets the nod, but for semi-pro and more budget minded the Dell Premier Color line is pretty decent. I use both panels as HP doesn't always have a monitor that I would use until recently (and Dreamcolor line is too expensive for a back up rig), but I prefer HP for my own...
  12. C

Monitor recommendations(again)

HP Z displays or Dreamcolor line (such as the Z24x) or Dell Premier Color displays make for good working displays the former DreamColor line competes pretty well with Eizo et al.
  13. C

iPad Pro workflow

And most people buy into the Apple hype, here's why the results aren't comparable: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006268/tablets/tested-why-the-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html Yes it's for the A9x but the A10 was an incremental update to the processor. In realistic terms it's no...
  14. C

iPad Pro workflow

Here's the latest specs between the two latest tablets: http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ipad/ipad-pro-129-vs-surface-pro-5-3659485/ There's very little difference in size/weight. So it really comes down to which version of the Surface Pro you're using, I use the SP4 with no issues with...
  15. C

iPad Pro workflow

Personally I'd go with the Surface Pro, unless you're tied into the Apple eco-system. Spec wise and also ability wise Surface Pro just out-guns the iPad for most day-to-day tasks and I've compared a SP4 with a iPad Pro and battery life was pretty much a wash when you start adding dongles. With...
  16. C

finally giving up on Lr...best alternative?

Windows 10 does what's called a in-place install, it wipes the original OS and then installs the Win 10 image in it's place. It backs up and restores relevant user configuration files, but you can easily revert Win 10 back to factory defaults under the Restore settings if there are issues easily...
  17. C

This is wrong on so many levels it's laughable. Seriously, Microsoft has three rings for Insiders: Fast, Slow and Release Preview. All are tested on the Insiders network, which is opt in, before being made available for general release. It's not perfect but then again most insiders will run Win...
  18. C

TC mark 4?

I use a Mk II 1.4 TC with a 70-200L f/2.8 Mk II for sport (football and polo) and I've also used it for covering gigs when I was stuck in the Gods. The focus is pretty good and the quality is acceptable for such scenarios. You do need a good body to make the AF work though, wasn't all that...
  19. C

I prefer C1 over Lr, it's just faster and more colour accurate especially for portrait work. Downside you lose access to all the presets you get for Lr and creating profiles is harder as it doesn't support DNG profiles.
  20. C

Microsoft Announces Surface Pro 5

Re: Microsoft Announces Surface Pro MS will be releasing a USB-C and also other functionality dock later this year that fits into the Surface Connector . The USB-C receptacle isn't mature enough due to the conflicting underlying standards.