Search results

1. D

Canon’s corporate strategy for 2024 released

You cannot convince me that this would be good design if you swaped the latin script out with kanji!!! Look at the aliasing on the CLIP ART?? This is my petty ant hill and I will _die_ on it
  2. D

At least faxes and floppies were useful. There has NEVER been a time when a giant red glow around black text has been appropriate for a corporate communication!
  3. D

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

The headline feature here is the stacked sensor. I believe this is the current list of sub $4000 full frame cameras with stacked sensors: - Nikon Z8 Competitively, The R5 specs imply this will shoot 3x faster, and extend Canon's AF lead, and IMO canon's got a better native lens lineup. Sony...
  4. D

Nikon to acquire RED and make it a subsidiary

If RED is in such dire straits that their only value is tied up in a IP, I'd imagine their investors would be far better off selling the patent portfolio on the open market.
  5. D

I will never understand how a company that markets to creative professionals makes presentations that look like they were done by a 14 year old who just pirated photoshop for the first time. "whoa, I can make words that GLOW RED"
  6. D

Nikon to acquire RED and make it a subsidiary

Seems like this would be a good fit then—Nikon's ergonomics and general operational approach seems second to none
  7. D

Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

Well, seems like Canon might be giving me what I need instead of what I want. I was really hoping for more MP, but at the end of the day if they can deliver marginal IQ improvements (DR is really the only thing I find myself wanting a little more of) and really improve handling/speed/AF then I'm...
  8. D

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

The other thing folks tend to forget about creative suite was how EXPENSIVE it was. You were paying $2500+ a seat and $600 for upgrades if you needed to maintain licenses. $55 a month for access to the tools I use all the time (PS, Lr, Illustrator) and free one click access to less often used...
  9. D

Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

I am hesitant to wade into the subscription argument here, but I’m very opposed to a subscription for anything that’s being done on camera. If Canon wants to charge $20 a month for cloud AI processing or something I have no issues. At the very least, if in camera features are subscription based...
  10. D

I am certainly not holding my breath, but the interface for controlling modern mirrorless AF systems is starting to feel woefully inadequate. The touch screen is pretty awkward and the joystick just feels like driving a Ferrari with the steering wheel from a pinto. Then again, if AI auto focus...
  11. D

I don't know if I should be excited or not about 45mp. On the one hand, I would love to see another mp bump. Storage has gotten cheaper, computers have gotten faster, and in general I'm one of those "won't say no to more pixels" sorts of people. OTOH, if Canon is confident staying at 45mp, I'd...
  12. D

Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

Idle speculation, but I was actually thinking if Canon was going to try and promote both of them at a major sporting event it could mean pretty solid things for the R5II. If it's not quick, rolling shutter will be a talking point, and if it's too low res, it won't look strong enough compared to...
  13. D

Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Oh they’d be eviscerated for sure. There’s absolutely bias in the youtube gear review world and people love an easy narrative.
  14. D

I don’t want to totally minimize the impact of Sony’s ability to court influencers—it’s real and it bothers the hell out of me—but there’s a meaningful difference between having a lineup with tradeoffs and Canon’s position pre 1DX3/5D4 or so. Sony offers options if you don’t want to incur the...
  15. D

It’s not that it’s less important, it’s that canon/nikon/sony are generally within spitting distance. Upshot is that it’s just no longer a point of differentiation for Sony. Canon was behind, and the 5D3 -> 5D4 was a big jump in IQ, and now the battle is about readout speed. Back in the day...
  16. D

Only point I disagree with is that they believe their software is great. It’s a virtual certainty that they’ve got design and product folks in house who know DPP isn’t very good. But the higher up product folks know they don’t “need” to make it better. If I were a shareholder I wouldn’t...
  17. D

This sounds so conspiratorial, but also seems like such a reasonable interepretation. I was reading the specs for the R1 and my thought was “ok, so the R3 really was just a stopgap.” There just isn’t enough differentiation between these two models given the very low volume of “flagship” cameras.
  18. D

Maybe I’m misreading you, neuro, but if canon requires their software to take advantage of a feature on a $5K+ camera, I don’t think its unreasonable for users to expect that software to exceed expectations. It’s not “free” software any more than macOS is “Free” software that comes with a Mac...
  19. D

Rumors from sony: Global shutter on the A9 III

Or rather, who will be first given that Sony didn’t specify a release date beyond “spring”
  20. D

An image of the Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM has leaked ahead of the official announcement

Not just how people treat it; my guess is lens rental lenses get used way more than a typical "owner/operator" lens. And they get shipped all around the country twice a week. It's not like UPS is exactly delicate with packages. On top of that, lens rentals has posted some absolute horror...