Search results

1. P

Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

I was hoping for something closer to $2000 for the R6. I shoot both Canon and Sony (5DIV and a6500) and have been wanting to go full frame mirrorless. Have been holding off from getting an A7III, would be adapting a bunch of EF and using several of the Sony lenses that I have. Wouldn't mind...
  2. P

Patent: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 with apodization filter

Agree. And the 50mm 1.4 has very poor contrast wide open, really down to f/2. And I had to repair the focus track after dropping mine onto a sofa from about 1 foot up. (during a video shoot). My Tamron 45mm f/1.8 is a much much better lens, in terms of IQ, contrast, resolution, and bokeh...
  3. P

Canon publishes a paper discussing a new 3.4 μm pixel pitch global shutter CMOS image sensor with dual in-pixel charge domain memory

Canon may want to compete with the Sony A9 whose shutter isn't global, but on the way, and does frame rates close to video. If the Canon sports / wildlife camera application and a true merging of video and stills is what they want (for a future mirrorless one series) this might be the direction.
  4. P

The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

yeah, probably would require way too much resolution for an off sensor dslr AF, (for ovf use)
  5. P

eye AF would be too much to ask for HaHa
  6. P

I find that true with my Sony mirrorless too. They are good for some things, but I don't think they are up to dslr performance for many situations.
  7. P

Maybe Canon thinks putting out the cutting edge lenses that only mount on the new bodies will drag some of those mediocre bodies to the cash register.
  8. P

Image quality & 6D

I went from 6D to 5D4. If you got a 5d4, it would give you wider dynamic range which might help with the weddings, white dresses and all. (also 2 card slots). I shot a lot of performance with a 6D. With good lenses it makes good files. Don't think any of those cameras would make much...
  9. P

Is the term ISO “totally fake”?

For performance photography too. When you are at the bleeding edge of exposure and are trying to make decisions between f stop, shutter speed and noise, ISO helps in that judgement. I often end up shooting at f/1.4 to f/2.8 when I would like to be at f/4 for DOF but I would also like to be...
  10. P

The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is finally on the way

and if you shoot performance, sometimes these types of cameras are the only ones venue approved. And they shoot surprising close to apsc dslrs in conditions where phone still shots are worthless.
  11. P

Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

For sure, and certainly still an issue for batteries. I would just like new tech I am spending $$$$ on to be a little better IQ not a little worse.
  12. P

Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

I have been seeing some tests, lately, (Fro) where the mirrorless versions of the 6d2 and 5d4 sensors are not doing as well as in the dslrs. Dslrs do have the advantage of a separate sensor for phase detect AF and more acute angle of light hitting the microlenses may have a negative effect to...
  13. P

Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

Or maybe the Leica people have enough money that when they shoot video it is on a Canon C300. And this is what the Canon plan is. Video is important, and if it is important to you you buy a Canon cinema camera.
  14. P

What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

I feel that way about 85 too. I think of it as 50 with a little cropping built-in, HaHa. And since Canon doesn't have a 50 IS I use 85 (also have a 45 Tamron VC) for low light normal shooting. Sigma's 105 1.4 is a beast but the 135 Sigma 1.8 isn't so bad, don't have one, but it looks good.
  15. P

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

and there is Sigma and Tamron which work well with the Sonys. If you don't use the big white super teles, there is a lot of competition for glass these days.
  16. P

Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Canon has a history of upgrading camera bodies on one cycle and then upgrading sensors on the next, so you used to get a whole new camera every 3 years or so. So not unexpected. Problem is they are behind Sony on IBIS and autofocus and sensors for low noise and DR. I have both and I would...
  17. P

Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM coming in 2019? [CR1]

When I first read this post, I was thinking, did I write that? HaHa! Two of my favorite lenses. Was waiting for the Canon 85mm IS but gave up. The Tamron is a little slower in focusing, but I think the bokeh is better (lower astigmatism probably). Happy with jumping ship. This is something I...
  18. P

Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 IS USM coming in 2019? [CR1]

so no IBIS for awhile.
  19. P

Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

I don't need Canon to match the video specs of the Sony (or the Nikon Z) or have eye auto focus as good as the Sonys (OMG the a6400), just like them to be competitive and have IBIS for my stock of EF lenses. and btw have you seen the RF 50 in person, it's giant.