Search results

1. K

Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

I'm on an R body still which I suspect has less options than R3 so sadly can't do that but appreciate the heads up. Not sure if speedlite controllers send more info due to ettl and change things but for me I don't need any more since using basic type of manual trigger (godox XT32) with multiple...
  2. K

Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

on most, perhaps even all, canon rf bodies you can turn exposure simulation off so it doesn't do that. I do so albeit for different reasons because often using multiple flash and expose for no ambient generally thus it is black with it on. For that reason I have set to off for stills but on in...
  3. K

Nikon officially announced the Z 8, which is aimed squarely at the Canon EOS R5

Some people have preference and muscle memory of swapping lenses by turning the "wrong" way, just kidding..... sort of. I imagine the big benefit is if you are already heavily invested in Nikon glass and don't want to jump ship, both adapted FTZ and native Z mount but especially the latter ...
  4. K

Benro Theta self-evelling tripod now available for preorder with a $200 discount

Yeah not sure how much I'd trust it either. Guess you could get similar manual result by weighting the levelling base handle in a slightly loose position if have the type that I'm thinking of. I use a video style half ball on set of hybrid vid/stills carbon legs albeit with a short handle when...
  5. K

The Canon EOS R5 C is now Netflix approved after latest firmware update

As 2cents said AF is rarely if ever used in such situations and most things for netflix I doubt it ever is used as it'd cause havok because that is all determined in advance when blocking. Letting subjects wander around off their marks would not only break the story telling side and lead to...
  6. K

It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

In case you haven't considered it or don't realise it, thought may be worth mentioning the limit only applies to internal recording. Since you're willing to pay you can pick up a monitor if really need to avoid the limit because it doesn't apply to external recording. Plus if video matters to...
  7. K

Eye-controlled AF is coming to more EOS R cameras, but you’ll have to be patient

don't forget adding some features can reduce the price if it expands the market base it is aimed at, so adding those features makes it less expensive if it is stuff like koenkooi mentions is already supported by the stills hardware. It isn't like they are adding SDI and XLR outputs to stills...
  8. K

Are 400mp stills coming to the Canon EOS R5?

I know it isn't needed in general photography especially when printing considerations aren't niche but there is more to large res than just detail and cropping. From tabletop and ad folks I've spoken to the medium format super high res need is less about final output being high res at high print...
  9. K

Webcam utility pro announced, what do you think ?

I don't get it myself as can't see who it is aimed at. Quality wise based on digital upscale being mentioned and knowing how the free version they released was poor vs using something like OBS and a capture card I don't see what this offers over using HDMI capture device and existing software...
  10. K

A rare Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Aspherical hits the next Wetzlar Camera Auction with a starting bid of €6,000

off topic but the audio thing isn't so simple and some (not all) the pro vinyl crowd have a point. Ignoring the snake oil audiophile BS with claims analog sounds better (completely debunked myth) it is more about the mastering and not unusual in some genres for the original vinyl pressing to be...
  11. K

Logitech launches the Blue Sona XLR Microphone & Litra Beam Desktop Key Light for creators

off topic a little but any board with addressable LEDs and a firmware that supports custom per key lighting will do what you're after. You don't want to get into keyboards though trust me it's even worse of a rabbithole than cameras. I primarily use a 65% and separate numpad both with QMK...
  12. K

Don’t expect any third-party autofocus lenses in the near future

one thing worth mentioning that seems to be missed is Canon isn't blocking RF mount lenses They're manual focus though. Canon isn't blocking RF mount glass across the board but more specifically seems to be doing so with AF RF. Since there is no official way of supporting AF on RF mount all 3rd...
  13. K

Also I think people are complaining because they're going on emotion vs rational thought. I dislike it as much if not more than the next guy, but of course I get it and Canon aren't out of order in doing this no matter how I feel about it. It likely won't cost them marketshare because they are...
  14. K

I should have been more clear on I don't mean the mount design costs, but the lens design costs. The two are linked and defending the mount defends their whole RF ecosystem and everything developed in it such as The new RF 70-200s for instance are both clearly new designs and if 3rd parties can...
  15. K

As much as I dislike it [3rd party AF in RF support] I think there is a lot of unfair shade thrown at Canon over this. Sure I don't like it and as someone who owns fair bit of sigma glass and likes the look of a lot of sigmas mirrorless only stuff and have been waiting for it to come in an RF...
  16. K

The state of third-party lenses for the RF mount, Canon may be involved

thanks for the heads up on that, looks like I may be SOL as ones I can see won't ship to me, had that problem with lot of tools lately with places no longer shipping here with the Brexit paperwork and messing around issues making it not worth their time (I mostly bought from EU suppliers before...
  17. K

The state of third-party lenses for the RF mount, Canon may be involved

I presume he meant the AF RF versions which have been pulled including here in Europe they aren't listed on the official websites any longer although the MF versions are. I've not seen the AF RF ones for sale for a while now. I'd be interested in where you're seeing them for sale because I did...
  18. K

The global chip shortage forces Canon to remove toner copy protection

totally agree these are not for the customers benefit and in printer world in general Canon have caught a fair amount of flak over the chips, sketchy firmware behaviour, waste ink pad issues and many other things oft considered anti consumer for some time. Not that they're the only company doing...
  19. K

Review: Canon EOS R3 by The Digital Picture

When I know I'm going to be doing that for NR reasons I find it much quicker and easier to take multiple underexposed images where total exposure of the group adds up to same as correct exposure and use screen blend mode if that makes sense. Eg. when I've done astro or low light stuff where plan...
  20. K

Viltrox has announced the Viltrox AF 85 / 1.8 STM ED IF for the RF mount

on top of Rex's points which I agree with being an original R shooter myself where the Canon 85 1.2 is over twice the cost of my body in the UK (£2,870 ish) and it [photography] isn't what I do for money either, there are more factors than IQ that goes into lens considerations such as weight and...