Search results

1. T

Update on the Canon RF 200-800mm f/6.3-9 IS USM

Why did my interest in this lens leap forward when I saw it would come in white? Can't be Veblenesque conspicuous consumption...No...it's, uh, just that I'm concerned with heat management when shooting on hot sunny days.
  2. T

Canon to announce the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

The RF 28 2.8 looks like a handy pancake - leave on the body for a quick grab shot instead of a body cap - lens. The three way MF-CR-AF switch should enable you to set MF without menu diving. The three- way switch should have been on these type lenses (50 1.8, 16 2.8) from day one. Well...
  3. T

Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

the leaks are in and so is the evf... so not that anyone in the wide world cares what I think about this camera, but let me just say, this looks pretty good.
  4. T

Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

As an early valentines day, looks like Canon will give us Vlogging day -- two new bodies without evf. Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the RP and R will not get a replacement. The way the R line is settling out: if you want to move forward from the RP with a FF camera with EVF you will...
  5. T

Canon RF-S 11-22mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM coming first half of 2023

I see today an EOY B&H closeout on the Sigma 16 f 1.4 DN DC for canon ef-m. Tempting, nice lens, but does it make sense to spend money on defunct system? Hmm... wait for port of Sigma lens to RF-S -- oops, blocked by Canon, not gonna happen any time soon. Wait for Canon to come out with a...
  6. T

What’s next from Canon?

The interview (CanonWatch from xitek) says M is still 30% of Canon camera sales. But the R&D is directed to R. But they are not abandoning M (even though they are). But -- even with R&D on R, how hard would it be to take the R10 innards (from the R R&D stream) and port it to a M5mkII? Leave...
  7. T

Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Initial impressions on R10 not already dtd The R10 with 18-150 looks about the same size as an SL3/rebel with the 18-55 ef-s mounted The 18-45 is sort of a zoom pancake. 2.7 inch projecting from body. The 16 2.8 RF looks like a good 2nd lens for someone getting an M10. The R10 seems a step...
  8. T

Here are a few Canon EOS R10 specifications [CR3]

It looks like the RF16mm F2.8 STM will fit in nicely here, its deficiencies towards the edge largely cropped out.
  9. T

A BSI APS-C EOS R camera is coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Obvious & Prob said already -- but that 100-500 7.1 becomes an 800mm 7.1 with the crop factor... (and 1100 f10 with a tc) Hmmm... this could get interesting.
  10. T

Canon officially announces the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Ouch -- there is no sharp sand near either frame edge in this 2.8 shot. Oh well, at least it's a beach with nice soft sand to walk on.
  11. T

The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

well this thread seems to have stayed off course... But hopefully some R3 photographer will get so distracted by some of these outfits that they post a full-rez image!
  12. T

Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

So rumor has it that the RP will be replaced by a downmarket camera and an upmarket camera that will also serve as an R replacement. Call it the RP+. That said, is it too much to hope the RP+ will have this new 30.1 MP backside illuminated sensor? (Or something similar with the new tech?)...
  13. T

After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

key upgrade features for me would be IBIS and ergonomics/control layout less M50-ish. Plus better DR and battery life. But keep the size small.
  14. T

More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Just a couple minor questions/speculations: 1) Will ECF play with the modes? -- for example ECF in the bird setting would find the bird closest to where your eye is looking, and continue to track it if set to do so? Similarly, ECF for portraits finding the eye closest to where you're looking...
  15. T

Here are more images of the Canon EOS R3

Reaction on seeing the first image of the body: Great Scott! That is a gorgeous piece of industrial design!
  16. T

Patent: Canon RF 20mm f/1.8L and RF 24mm f/1.8L

Coma, coma, coma. Corrected wide open for astrophotography. Otherwise these lenses would be of limited interest to me, personally.
  17. T

Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

Thanks for posting this link. Auto-translate widget in youtube does a pretty decent job. For the 100 macro, the quick demo of reduced focus breathing is also impressive. The video talks about release dates in July 2021 for these lenses. (Not to be pedantic, but here's how to get to...
  18. T

Here is the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

I, too, like the slider idea, but, as you say, spherical aberration modification seems more likely. I read somewhere that Japanese macro photographers tend to favor a style of wide open shooting -- a narrow depth of field and an aesthetic management of bokeh. Given that predilection, it...
  19. T

Patent: Canon RF 100mm f/2 IS STM Macro

The Canon News link identifies this as an RF version for the EF 100 f2, just as the recent RF 85 f2 replaces the 85 1.8 EF. It is projected by CanonNews to have the handy 0.5x "macro" that the RF 85 f2 has. It's not really intended as a true macro lens like the 100 f2.8 L IS macro, so angst...
  20. T

Patent: Full-Frame fixed lens camera

I wouldn't mind a digital version of the good old Olympus Stylus Epic -- fixed 28 f 2.8 lens. Fixed fl: no longer than 35, no slower than 2.8. Simple and affordable, too -- that was part of the charm of the Olympus! (An Epic in good shape is worth more now than it was new... that kind of...