Search results

1. Sharlin

Canon Patent Application: Haptic Feedback for R1/R3 camera bodies

Tactile feedback is obviously important, as attested by pilots of fly-by-wire airplanes and game controller users among others (sigh… once upon a time there was Force Feedback and joysticks that actually fought you, none of that silly vibrating business). But are current e-shutter cameras really...
  2. Sharlin

Canon Launches MS-500 – The World’s First Ultra-High-Sensitivity Interchangeable-Lens SPAD Sensor Camera

Ehhh, not necessarily, but do you think R&D is free? Novel tech costs what it does NOT primarily due to manufacturing (though that’s of course one factor because yields may initially be low, defect ratio may be high, processes not yet optimized, fraction of manual labor high as production lines...
  3. Sharlin

Tamron 17-50mm f/4 optical formula appears in latest patent

The concept is probably that it’s a 17-35mm (or indeed Canon’s 17-40mm) ultrawide extended at the tele end. Rather useful to get all wide focal lengths in a single lens, really. Wouldn’t have been feasible on a SLR most likely.
  4. Sharlin

Canon officially announces the EOS R100 and RF 28mm f/2.8 STM

These sorts of aspherics are most definitely not ground. I don't think there even exist good technologies to mass-produce lenses like these by grinding and polishing.
  5. Sharlin

Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

"Form factor" has nothing to do with having the exact same dimensions. It means same general shape, ergonomics and approximate size. Here it means "has no viewfinder bump" plus likely only a very modest grip. The mount size will constrain the height of the body, sure, but even that can be worked...
  6. Sharlin

The Canon EOS R6 Mark II will be announced on November 2, 2022

...what existing stock? In what reality do you live in? Here in the real world they have almost certainly sold every single R6 that they have managed to manufacture, thanks to high demand combined with Covid-related supply issues.
  7. Sharlin

Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Discontinued by Canon, of course, meaning they are not manufactured anymore. It doesn't mean that existing stock isn't being sold.
  8. Sharlin

15, 20, 30...195 fps OMG! We need HELP in culling/editing "squirts".

Hmm? You can set LR to automatically stack photos taken within, say, one second from each other, as PBD said. I guess it could be handy to auto-stack photos taken in the same burst, but I don't think the EXIF data contains something like a "burst ID".
  9. Sharlin

Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

That essentially stopped almost ten years ago though, I don’t think they have production-ready firmware for any remotely recent camera (DIGIC 6 and up?) due to a large change in processor architecture.
  10. Sharlin

Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Canon DSLRs firmware updates did only very rarely contain anything but fixes to obscure bugs, but it’s a bit different now. Some of the R bodies have received significant improvements and new features.
  11. Sharlin

A Canon EOS R7 C is on the way, but not in 2022 [CR3]

You know, this is a rumors site, completely unaffiliated with Canon, and the R7C is a rumor. CanonRumors's job is to publish rumors, and they can't help with Canon's supply chain issues in any way whatsoever. Unless you imply that dropping rumors about coming projects is a part of Canon's...
  12. Sharlin

A Canon EOS R7 C is on the way, but not in 2022 [CR3]

Most video cameras are not FF. Those that are, are expensive exceptions.
  13. Sharlin

Patent: Canon RF APS-C pancake prime lens optical formulas

It makes sense from the optical design/ray diagram point of view. Distance and angle from the optical axis are what matters mathematically and physically. Indeed in a ray diagram you can just ignore rays that originate below the optical axis without loss of generality, thanks to symmetry. Full...
  14. Sharlin

14-bit and 13-bit A/D Conversion with H+ and H-speed

The difference will be negligible at ISOs above 800 or so. At ISO 100 to 400 you may notice a bit less latitude to recover highlights or push shadows (more noise in the shadows) when shooting with the e-shutter compared to mech/1st curtain electronic.
  15. Sharlin

What’s next from Canon?

Protecting the R5 from the R7? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure none of the xxxD battery grips ever turned profit. It's at least plausible that the xxD ones didn't either. Companies typically stop doing things that don't turn profit (and don't even function as loss leaders)...
  16. Sharlin

This RF-S 22mm f/2 photo looks real to me

A real 22mm R pancake would almost certainly not have both focus ring and control rings. This looks like a picture of the 18-45mm RF-S with the zoom ring truncated in photoshop.
  17. Sharlin

Here are some rumoured RF-S lenses that may be coming in the near future.

The EF-S mount allows a few millimeters shorter backfocus (how close to the sensor the rear element can move – the "S" in EF-S means "short backfocus") taking advantage of the smaller mirror in APS-C DSLRs. Canon made the mount physically incompatible with EF cameras to prevent the possibility...
  18. Sharlin

Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Supposed, maybe, but it's pretty clear that the R10 is not a xxD successor but a step below. A spiritual 77D successor I would say, even though Canon's new tech mean the AF and burst speed are totally unprecedented at that level. Taking the names too literally only serves to confuse.
  19. Sharlin

Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Which is pretty much what it appears to be. It's a logical fallacy – a false dilemma – to insist (as some do) that it must be a direct successor of one of the DSLR models (and if it's not clearly a 7D2 successor then it must be a 90D successor and obviously suck :rolleyes:) If anything, the R7...