Search results

1. C

Canon shows off an ultra-fast AF multi-directional sensor

Couldn't this be just the subpixels rotated? I mean, instead of all being left-right subpixels, use a top-bottom subpixel configuration in alternate positions. For a square of 4 adjacent pixels: LR TB TB LR
  2. C

Canon Patent Application: Lens functions adjusted with orientation

An example of what shouldn't be authorized to be patentable. Trivial ideas like this one protected by patents are only used to hamper and block competitors. With things like this we have reached a point where a full abolition of the patents system would actually protect the innovation.
  3. C

Canon not going global shutter with next round of EOS R camera bodies

Canon released the 1DX Mk III in 2020, just 4 years after the previous model (also released 4 years after its predecessor). So it is expected the new flagship to be released in 2024 following the same like-a-clock cadence since 2008, when digital cameras became mature enough. Canon didn't feel...
  4. C

Canon will announce more lenses in 2023 [CR2]

During 2020, 2021 and 2022 Canon has released exactly 7 lenses each year, as timely as a clock (only in 2019 they released just 6, plus the 4 initial RF lenses in 2018). There are already 5 lenses released this year, so I'd expect only a couple more: the RF-S 11-22 and the RF 200-500. This...
  5. C

TTArtisans launches the RF 500mm f/6.3

Thanks. I was shocked... in no way a front element with 82mm and 8 glass surfaces may weight 300 grams in a metal housing... It is even more shocking that everybody out there seem was just marvelled :)
  6. C

Canon Rumors site update

Instead of a rumors/news site with some commercial offers and ads, it now resembles a shop with some hidden rumors and news... Edit: I miss the menu. The "lens roadmap" section is gone...
  7. C

Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

Microlenses over the sensor are used by every single manufacturer and have no relation with aliasing or AA filters, but just to avoid losing the light "between pixels" and to improve the capture in the corners. But I was not talking about microlenses. I was talking about Leica removing the AA...
  8. C

Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

Note that sharpness may be fake. Aliasing (and false sharpness/detail) always exists. Google for "circular sunburst aliasing"... every camera will generate aliasing taking a shot of such a picture (at a big enough aperture): the false/invented resolution is still there in any other subject, but...
  9. C

As a potential buyer I hope it includes the AA filter (specially the R5 tech-like one). Just because image quality matters me THE MOST. Fortunately, sigma did included the AA filter in its 61MP latest camera, and explicitly mentioned the reasons. All of this AA-filter-removal nonsense started...
  10. C

Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

Said with other words: when we "blow up" a FF image by 1.6x we are in fact doing a crop, ending on a FF sensor run as an APS-C one, with 2.56x less total light and the corresponding additional noise. So best to keep the FF body saving the steps back and getting the full light ;) The former...
  11. C

Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

I bet (it's free :)) it will be the hybrid APS-C. That way it would follow the tradition (5D -> R5, 6D -> R6, 7D -> R7)... In addition, the (I assume fake) photo at CanonRumors shows a crop sensor ;) BTW... what are the chances of an hybrid (EVF+OVF) R1?
  12. C

There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Many (if not most) EF and EF-S lenses are discontinued
  13. C

There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Well, they could always make a FF sensor with identical pixel density (with far more resolution and same IQ at image level) for the same exact tele reach of APS-C. This just depends on how they cut the CMOS wafers. Instead they choose to make the FF in one body (bigger pixels) and the long...
  14. C

Now it there will be many full frame bodies: Previously: 1DX, 5D4, 5DS, 6D (total of 4) Now: R-entry, R-better, R6, R5, R3, R1 (total of 6) I'd assume that more market segmentation in full frame implies less room for crop sensors.
  15. C

So the R5s and R1 will not come until 2023... and no APS-C glass ever, or maybe merely only a single kit lens? A single crop camera model does not deserves a entire line of crop glass...
  16. C

I bet for the names being: R7 for around 32MP APS-C (great features and speed, crippled sensor and OVF nostalgia plus EVF) R10 for the new full frame bellow R6/R5 with around 32MP (mirrorless 90D successor and R replacement) R100 for a tiny entry-level full-frame with no EVF (mirrorless 850D...
  17. C

Patent: Using image sensor shift to reduce the need for an AA filter

Excerpt from patent's page 9: "...when calculating the phase difference for focus detection, the influence of its spatial aliasing cannot be ignored, and in some cases, the obtained result of the focus detection may be largely erroneous. Therefore, conventionally, it is common to arrange the...
  18. C

Canon will introduce new tilt-shift lenses with a high-megapixel camera [CR2]

Shouldn't they be called TS-RF? It seems that the reason for the TS-E name (instead of TS-EF) was the "special" feature of lacking autofocus. Another nomenclature could be including the feature in the regular name (e.g. Canon RF 14mm f/4L TS USM)
  19. C

Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

With increasing resolution there is even more justification for using an AA filter. The filter can be weaker so detail isn't actually lost at small enough apertures (anyway diffraction limited). A 100MP sensor is free from aliasing from F11 (just as free as a 50MP one at F16). And you have more...
  20. C

site inaccesible via Android

Well, I don't know the reason of the "blue" layer preventing touching the screen. It occurs both with an old Google chrome (version 72.0.3626.121, no addons) and the latest Kiwi Browser (with some addons). Finally I have managed to browse the site (Xiaomi Mi8) by blacklisting fumblingform.com...