Search results

1. J

He ain’t lying – THE BEST PRIME LENS. Period. by Peter McKinnon

My first two L lenses were the 24-70 2.8L II and the 70-200 2.8L IS II. And I still think that was the best decision. Both excellent and versatile. But over time I needed other lenses for specific applications: fast primes for low light dance (weddings), macro for ring shots, etc. 85 prime was...
  2. J

Patent: Fast prime lenses for curved image sensors

Yeah, right?! Seems like a curved sensor had lots of hurdles to overcome to be economical!
  3. J

Are there two version of the RF 35mm f/1.2L USM coming? [CR1]

Yeah... the 35L II is probably the LAST lens I'll be updating! Still one of the best Canon lenses made! I'm keeping my EF L glass but when adding new glass I'm getting the RF versions. So far only have the RF 50L (amazing glass). Would eventually probably upgrade my EF 24-70 f/2.8L II (mainly to...
  4. J

Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

So, can you use the basic EF / RF adapters (those used with the R-series cameras)?
  5. J

We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

For about the same price as a 5D4, you can get an EOS R plus an Atomos Ninja V. That gives you your 10-bit 4:2:2, and waveform monitors. However, the 1080p out of the EOS R and 5D4 look so good, I don't really have to shoot in 4K except for the flexibility in post. Full frame 4K would be nice...
  6. J

Feature update announcements coming to the Canon EOS R and Canon Cinema EOS C200 ahead of NAB

Just received the Ninja and haven’t even unboxed it yet... then I see this! Just hope it’s true!
  7. J

Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

So, ignoring all the drama over what was left out. I'm not up to date about the Silent Shutter update. Does this mean that I can just shoot as I normally do (Servo AF) and high speed, but with silent shutter enabled? Simple as that? Any downside to this? With regard to Eye-AF, I find that for...
  8. J

Upgrade to 5D Mark IV or Cheaper Cam for a Wedding Photographer?

Unfortunately, you can only record to EITHER the CF or the SD card. Either one can record video, but only one at a time. Using Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, I can record 4K to either my 256GB CF card, or to my 256GB SD card. (See page 346 of 5D4 user manual)
  9. J

Hands on Field Test of the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

I also had two 6Ds. Just bought the 5D4 a few months ago. I use the cameras side-by-side, and the 6D still provides excellent results. However, I'm getting a bit more into video now, and really love the dual pixel AF in video on the 5D4! In addition to the A6500 which is my B-cam, I'm...
  10. J

Upgrade to 5D Mark IV or Cheaper Cam for a Wedding Photographer?

I shoot video with 5D Mark IV. After a recent wedding, I went to download the footage off of my 256GB Samsung Extreme Pro CF Card (a $297 investment). When shooting video, even a dual card camera only shoots to one card at a time (maybe some other high end cameras shoot to both simultaneously...
  11. J

First Images & More Specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II Leak

I'm one of those people who would have loved to see 4K in the 6D2. I shoot BOTH photography and videography at weddings. I have the 5D4 and Sony A6500 and original 6Ds (2X). The 5D4 is great as it does both photo and video very well. The A6500 is awesome for video, but I don't use it for...
  12. J

Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Canon can release anything they want, and buyers have lots of options. For me personally, I have a 5D4, two 6Ds, and a Sony A6500. I've mostly shot photography, but recently started shooting wedding video. I'm still probably 70% Photo, and 30% video. So, for me, the 5D4 is great, with awesome...
  13. J

My video problems

Sony A6500. I shoot weddings with 5D4 and A6500. Most of the time, the A6500 is on a gimbal. I often use the 1080p @ 120fps. Slow motion looks great. Good in low light. AF is close to Canon (not quite a flexible) and completely usable. (Side note: the 5D4 footage is really beautiful! Lots of...
  14. J

Mercedes vs. Lexus.... huh? A 2 week spin w/ a Mk IV

I'm really liking my 5D4. I also just started to shoot more video. Nevertheless, most of my wedding gigs for this year are for photography, and only a few for videography. So the 5D4 is a really great solution for me. However, I also picked up a Sony A6500 to help with the video chores and as...
  15. J

Which Canon lens is most in need of updating.

Canon's Zooms are pretty amaziing, and recently they gave some love to the primes with the 35 1.4L II. I think they need to address updates to their L primes. 50mm f/1.2L. I actually really like this lens, but if they were to give it some of the 35L 1.4L II love, it could be truly amazing...
  16. J

Lens calibration

I own two 6Ds. Both have very good focus with most of the 6 lenses I own. However, my 24-70 f/2.8L II is 'off' on both. I want to join CPS just generally to have my gear serviced occasionally... but I'm wondering about having my 24-70 calibrated. Can they calibrate just the lens, or do I need to...
  17. J

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

Some Portraits with the 100mm f/2.8L Macro:
  18. J

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

A little bit different take on this... I have the 35mm f/1.4L II at the wide end (not super wide, I know) and at the long end, I have the 100mm f/2.8L Macro and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. I really want the 135mm f/2 at some point, but I'm already pretty well set at the long end for now. I used...
  19. J

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM

Re: Canon 35mm/1.4 II Amazing lens! Beautiful color and sharpness. I use mine almost exclusively for people shots - not close-up head shots, but environmental. Here's a few I have at hand...
  20. J

Canon 24-70 2.8 ii or 35mm 1.4 ii

Prime example: 50mm f/1.2L. This is certainly not the sharpest lens. It has adequate sharpness in the center wide open, but has beautiful bokeh and creates very beautiful images. It is, however, something of a specialty lens in that regard. If I am shooting group shots or something less arty...