Search results

1. J

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

Hybrid's are always a compromise, but I'm curious why Canon chose these compromises here. The main criticism I have is the need to switch between photo/video OS. As a stills cameras, it is stills only as it cannot shoot video in photo mode and also doesn't have ibis. As a pro cine camera...
  2. J

The Canon EOS R1 is coming, here are a few things to expect

That is a single type of photography in a single type of setting. Even if the novice's shots are chosen because of the R5's burst and keeper rate, what about the artist at home doing still art photography? Will the novice even know where to start with lighting and composition regardless of the...
  3. J

You are talking literally about me in your opening statement. I literally added a Sony body to my Canon kit and adapted EF glass on it. I later didn't want the handicap of adapters (The Metabones adapter was plenty buggy) and added a few native Sony lenses. That eventually led to another Sony...
  4. J

You can technically claim anything you want until the client asks for a demo reel or a sample of your work. That will quickly humble most people regardless of how many tens of thousands of gear they have. But some people do buy camera gear as a form of conspicuous consumption among their fellow...
  5. J

Nikon officially announces the Nikon Z 9, and it’s a remarkable $5499

The price of the Z9 is really attractive. Nikon has taken a back seat for so long while giving up market share to both Canon and Sony that they pulled out all of the stops for this one. Sony took a similar position a few years back with the A9 vs 1 series in the pro-space. However appealing, I...
  6. J

Leaked: Full review of the Sony A7 IV goes live prematurely

Sony made quite a few waves with the A7III. Probably wanting to frantically try and get more FF customers in the door before the larger more established players like Canon and Nikon came to play. They've really slowed down the superlatives and gimmicks of late, and have been focused more on...
  7. J

Industry News: Sony announces the completely redesigned Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II

It really depends on the use case, but I prefer some form of quick disconnect for the tripod foot or a completely removable collar. I take the collars/feet off my long lenses all the time for video work and back on when I'm mainly shooting stills. The collar and/or feet get in the way of my...
  8. J

Industry News: Sony announces the completely redesigned Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II

I think this will probably be transitory. As more R&D is spent on mirrorless and less on DSLRs along with a dwindling consumer base, it will catch up and surpass those few areas where DSLRs still shine. I think battery life is still an achilles heel for some shooters, but adjusting to EVF vs OVF...
  9. J

Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R3

I'm a working pro and I crop occasionally because sometimes I'm just not in the right position at the right time. Obviously I'm not shooting with the mindset that I'm intending to crop 100%, but having that latitude does allow me to salvage some shots that would have been binned. Heck, I've even...
  10. J

I don't think the pricing is really comparable between Canon and Sony. In the past Canon was always more money, but when the A1 was released, it was priced through the roof. But at the end of the day, it isn't like you can just switch systems because of $500, so if you need the functionality and...
  11. J

The biggest thing for video folks is the R3's hotshoe pins like Sony's multi interface shoe. All future Canon MILC bodies will probably have this as well. It is convenient to be able to use audio accessories without running 3.5mm cables or supplying extra power to the accessories. But the...
  12. J

Companies decide their own strategies behind how they offer their cameras. Canon have always offered their pro flagships with an integrated grip and Nikon is the same way. The rest of the line-up are always offered with a separate battery grip. Sony OTOH doesn't offer integrated grips on their...
  13. J

Canon to add to their Cinema EOS lineup with three new monster cameras [CR3]

The FX3 shouldn't even be called a cinema camera. A more apt description would be a fan cooled MILC. It shares little with the FX series including having the same OS/menu system as its A7/9/1 bodies instead of the cinema os (Custom/Cine EI) setup of its bigger siblings. It can output RAW in 4240...
  14. J

Canon Inc. releases their Q1 2021 financials

Competition is absolutely healthy. For all of the crap that Sony got in the past and probably well deserved going through iterative "beta" releases, they've gotten to a point where their gear can be used in a professional context, gets out of the way of the shooter and gimmicks of yore have...
  15. J

What I was referring to was 2016, 2017, 2018, where cinema camera were always a part of imaging. In 2019 and 2020 specifically, it was reclassified as industry. Recently, it has again been reclassified back to imaging. It always made sense that cinema cameras were imaging products..
  16. J

The surprising thing to me, perhaps because I haven't followed Canon's more recent reports is that digital cinema cameras are now back in Canon's imaging segment. This was re-classified back in 2019 and moved into industry. Would it be possible that this category's performance is improving or...
  17. J

Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

The Komodo can get up to 50fps shooting 6K 2.4:1 WS. That was the mode I was shooting at most of the time. The biggest challenge is that it uses DCT compression which is so much larger compared to the Raven/Scarlet I was shooting on which uses wavelet compression. The same ratios aren't...
  18. J

I struggled with that decision making process as well. I got my Komodo early last year as I was one of the original Stormtrooper pre-orders. While they later offered improved AF performance and compatibility with RF lenses, it was always meant to operate best using MF. There are certain quirks...
  19. J

Assuming all else is equal, I think battery life will largely be similar if you grip the A1 as the NP-FZ100 batteries are 16.4Wh each and you can use two of them and a single LP-E19 is ~30Wh.
  20. J

Industry News: Sony FX3 leaks ahead of an official announcement

It appears from the buttons and joystick that it will use the cinema system OS which is dramatically different than the A7 series bodies and I assume will have the same two primary operating modes (custom and Cine EI). Not entirely as consumer friendly as say the A7 series. That being said, the...