Search results

1. C

Canon officially announces the RF 16mm f/2.8 STM and RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Here's the 16mm's MTF. Pretty convenient for Canon to not show MTF@f/8 anymore, isn't it? Of course, what else would you expect from a $300 UWA lens? https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/rf/lineup/rf16-f28/spec.html Following are full size samples@f/8, f/9, and f/2.8 (too large to attach here)...
  2. C

Here is the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM

My hope was that Canon's next APS-C lens would be a fast portrait prime in EF-M mount, instead we get this 16mm RF mount lens. The EF-M mount is going to be 10 years old next year and still no portrait prime for it from Canon. How is this mount not already dead for Canon? Also, look at all the...
  3. C

Here is the Canon RF 16mm f/2.8 STM

This 16mm lens is not a FF lens, it's an APS-C lens. You are all missing the really big points of this intro: this lens' existence both mean that Canon is going to concurrently introduce an RF mount APS-C body, and that Canon is officially killing the EF-M mount off.
  4. C

Here is the Canon EOS R3

The 3 would suggest eyesight focus point selection, if we go back to the last EOS 3.
  5. C

Further talk about the fate of the EOS M system

There's been talk about the M system's demise since the original M came out! Anyways, nothing new from Canon: they shed lens mounts as often as reptiles shed skins.
  6. C

Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

If that's true, then the overheating problem lies in the sensor not having a physical conduit, for example a heat pipe, to route heat out of it to a separate, larger heat sink due to it having to float freely inside the IBIS unit, thus there is no possible workaround to cool it down in a fast...
  7. C

Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

I did previously mention that somebody will come out with a Peltier or straight blowing fan for the R5/R6 sooner or later, but I am amazed at how soon both solutions have appeared: This is a screengrab from the video mentioned in the previous blog post: And here is the exact same blower on...
  8. C

Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

Found the exact one on ebay, it's only $35 shipped, said to have only one speed: 160 MPH. Silly of me to think a little PC fan will suffice. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greenworks-24012-7-Amp-Single-Speed-Electric-160-MPH-Blower/293509569423?epid=16027047081&hash=item4456889b8f:g:h4IAAOSwHr1ea3fr
  9. C

What’s next from Canon?

I keep reading mentions of similar QC issues with the newer "Global Vision" lines everywhere. also, the 56mm is $400+, that's too much to pay for a 3rd party APS-C short tele that uses aspherics and yet has very heavy distortion levels. I believe that Canon can do much better for the same price.
  10. C

What’s next from Canon?

I once bought a brand spanking new Sigma 17-55/2.8 OS that could not focus to infinity. I live in a country with no Sigma authorized repair shops, so I had to disassemble the lens myself to remove a shimmy out of the focusing group so that it could do infinity. Then I found out that the lens was...
  11. C

What’s next from Canon?

Oh Canon EF-M portrait lens, where art thou?
  12. C

Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

The 100-500mm's MTFs are comparable to the 70-200mm's when both are shot wide open; of course, the 100-500mm is darker, much more so at 500mm. Here are the full res samples: https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/rf/lineup/rf100-500-f45-71l/image-sample.html
  13. C

Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

The MTFs on the 600mm and 800mm DO lenses show lower levels of contrast and resolving power plus higher levels of astigmatism when compared to Nikon's much brighter and expensive but also shorter 300mm and 500mm PF lenses. The DO's constructions are also much simpler than the PF's. The 800 looks...
  14. C

The 85's MTF map is very similar to the 35's, and seeing how small its pupil entrance is compared to other 85mm f/1.8 lenses, it's fair to expect heavy vignetting and lots of cat's eyes when shooting wide open. Thankfully, there are no aspherical elements in the formula, so no onion rings on...
  15. C

MTF chart and optical formulae for each newly introduced tele converter+lens from canon.jp:
  16. C

MTF chart and optical formulae for each newly introduced lens from canon.jp:
  17. C

Here are the USD prices for the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and lenses

Only details left to know are how these cameras will perform: 1. Video and full electronic shutter stills rolling shutter behavior (1DXIII is apparently not great at 4K, will R6 be the same? Will 8K in the R5 make it worse?). 3. 4K and 8K sharpness (no Canon hybrid below the 1DX series has...
  18. C

Here are some new lens images and early pricing

Canon must have found a cheaper way of making DO elements for these two lenses, as Canon has historically charged a hefty premium for DO lenses. Maybe they are molding the elements instead of cutting them down to shape, analog to the same processes for aspherics. DO elements already induce flare...
  19. C

Here are the specifications for the Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM Macro

The Tamron 35mm and 85mm f/1.8 VC are the only lenses in the market that are comparable to Canon's, and yet Canon can sell the 35mm for $100 less than Tamron: $499 vs. $599. The Tamron 85mm is currently $749, maybe Canon is going to sell theirs for $599?